Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkfyre

What the Hellcore?

As for the screenshots, you clicked on the map# for the overview screenshot, you need to click on the Level Name for the in-game-screenshots.

I ran your map, it just doesn't flow with the rest of the levels. It's missing sensical detail, and areas are bland and flat. Take my Baron Streets (old map19) it was 209 sectors and 6,145 sidedefs. It's now 1938 sectors (with sector saving) and 32,000 sidedefs... and I'm still not happy with the level of detail.

I know your map is 28,000 sidedefs, but it isn't detailed, it just has thousands of sidedefs for lighting. It really doesn't fit in with the rest of the maps.

I'd really like to see how your newly revamped levels look...! Anyway, if you still think that my map doesn't fit the rest of the .WAD you are making, then send me the resources I need to release my map as stand-alone .WAD! The Doom community will judge if it is good or bad!
I am still disappointed about how you are managing the situation...! :(

Darkfyre said:

As for the screenshots, you clicked on the map# for the overview screenshot, you need to click on the Level Name for the in-game-screenshots.

I ran your map, it just doesn't flow with the rest of the levels. It's missing sensical detail, and areas are bland and flat. Take my Baron Streets (old map19) it was 209 sectors and 6,145 sidedefs. It's now 1938 sectors (with sector saving) and 32,000 sidedefs... and I'm still not happy with the level of detail.

I know your map is 28,000 sidedefs, but it isn't detailed, it just has thousands of sidedefs for lighting. It really doesn't fit in with the rest of the maps.

Sector/Linedef Count does not equal quality. Just keep that in mind.

That is very true, though if you have a very low sector count it's more likely than not that the map doesn't look very appealing, but not always.

If you've played my maps you'll know that the larger the number the better it is. Not implying that it means larger numbers equals better quality in general, but if you know the map I was talking about it makes a whole lotta sense.

BTW: I've finished remapping map07, and am just waiting for Fusion to pick over it for errors and improvements (as it used to be his map). His map04 is also coming along and should (atleast very well) be done soon. I've started a revamp of map31, not a huge map so it shouldn't take 'too' too long. I've also added level names through dehacked and the intermission screens.

We're nearing the 3/4 done mark, whoot!

Another Status Update:
I'm almost done revamping map31, I just got one last room to work on, and then fix gameplay. Did some more little touchups to map07, but alas my computer can't handle it anymore, so that's more than done :p Fusion's incapacitated, so I am not too sure how progress with him is going. I'd also like to throw before & after screenshots of the maps up again, I'll probably do this once I finish map31.

Hasta la pasta.

Hey, Devon! ;) What about my map?! If you are not going to revamp it, please could you send me the .WAD with the resoruces (textures and flats) I used in my map, so that I can release it? :) I am looking forward to it.

Yes I will, but it will take time. My first and foremost concern is to keep the project running, and progress coming. Going through and finding all the resources needed and compiling will take some time, although it is easy. I will do it, but I can't say exactly when I can get to it. Need to load it in WadAuthor without PWAD, find errors and write every missing texture/flat down. Then go through and get all the patches and convert to textures, lala. Easy but time consuming. It'll come I assure you.

Map31's revamp is now done. Fusion's Map04 is basically done, he now has the unsettling task of gameplay... With Fusion this could take awhile, but it'll of course be worth it in the end.

With these 2 additions that now leaves us with 12 completed maps. Not too bad considering the initial release had what, maybe 4 or 5? I'll get screenies up soon. Not too sure what task I will take next, but as always I'll be sure to keep you updated.

I put some screenshots up for Map31. Fusion's finished Map04 at long last, and will be starting a revamp of the old and tiny Map02 relatively quickly. I myself have decided to scrap an old map for salvage later, and am working on a new map from scratch. Briming with ideas and it's not going to be a large map, so it should just take the basic build/detail/gameplay time it always does for me :) Ciao4now folks.

Just wanted to jump in and mention that we need beta gameplay/bug testers..

We're going to release the re-done version of hellcore in small hubs.

Hellcore has had an extreme makeover; (these levels look nothing like the originals).
We've decided to name it, Hellcore 2.0. Since all the levels are so different, and many are brand new, it only makes sense to release it as an entirely new megawad.

Anyway, if you have some time, and are well known in the community, we'd love to have you sign up. There are limited positions, so don't feel offended if you're not picked, it's nothing personal. :)

Cheers!

Testers would surely be a good idea for the currently finished maps... asides from the first 5 they're mostly out of order though so skill levels aren't too important, but testers for different source ports would definitely help, I only test ZDoom and GZDoom, and on occasion Legacy for certain effects. Eternal and PRBoom are never even touched :p Besides, you'll get to play before anyone else does for awhile, so whoot :)

i wonder why de-fin-ately is a banned word :p.. i noticed that trying to make a point on another thread.

Interesting, i swear i thought that was the correct spelling. Probably because nearly everyone, "definitely" spells it wrong.

Hola, update time:

Minor here-and-there little bugs on the finished maps just got a huge overhaul. Maplist is currently now set to 20, but again that could change at any time. Fusion's started work on remapping Map06, and I am currently about 50% done my new map.

Also, the 'Progress' and 'Screenshots' page have been updated at the new Hellcore site, enjoy! Although, the news section still isn't working :/

http://www.prontex.ca/~hellcore/

Remember, we still need some experienced testers to pick at the levels as we go along, if interested let me or Fusion know.

ciao4now.

Did you take inspiration from the Big Ben in London for that Clock Tower, Darkfyre?! ;) Anyway, I like those screenshots very much... :) ...and ambience seems to be very creepy! ;)

No Big Ben, just doodled it while havin coffee :p The map's so far pretty evil by way of gameplay. Shouldn't take too much longer either.

I've played it and i must say, darkfyre has gone fucking insane.. the level of realism is increasing by the second.

Geez... I'm loving the ambience of shot 2.

I'm not convinced there's enough wads out there that have a vaguely Victorian feel, so good job. Kick-arse textures on the staircase in particular; did you make them yourself?

I took some carpet pics and made them into textures. The entire level was meant to be Victorian but I didn't have the textures, so I'm just aiming for an eerie little town. :D