Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Most disappointing Doom WAD or project ever?

Scuba Steve said:

Sorry, any self respecting Doomer can't even begin to say Batman Doom was disappointing...

Quoted for truth. Aliens TC and Batman Doom are two of the few projects that got an allround solid design (wich entails game play FYI).

Quasar said:

You took that the wrong way. I meant the maps were cool and the ideas were cool and it was all a big waste because nothing ever came of it.

You should have PASSED that project, not ABANDON it...

Csonicgo said:

If I recall correctly, That was said before the second leak. Even gameplay was "done"! yet people laughed at the horrid gameplay from the 2nd leak.
The 3rd leak was the exact same thing, with the same boring "mission objectives" (WHO thought THAT was a good idea?) and the same boring "meaningless" detail.

Huh, there wasn't even a third leak!
Despite that, there also never were mission objectives at all.

Csonicgo said:

By the way, did you tell anyone about the lame "explosive charges", the magical green fog that gibs you on contact, the excessive ambient sounds we've heard a million times from previous zdoom projects?

Wtf are you talking about? "Explosive charges", magical green fog?
You're sure we talk about the same project?

Edit:
ok actually i know what you're reffering to with the green fog, but be sure this has been fixed.
Btw, you shouldn't judge a whole project after playing the first map that wasn't even final in the version you "acquired"!
You fail it.

Erp said:

Well perhaps my wording was a bit strong, but I honestly just didnt like them, didn't like Action doom either. I certainly don't want to start a flame war, so I'll just apologize for having non-mainstream tastes in pwads.

That's understandable. If you don't enjoy playing them I can get behind that, but to say they are disappointing and failed to live up to expectations is tantamount to something like Raiders of the Lost Ark being a "letdown".

Vader said:

Huh, there wasn't even a third leak!

Yeah, there was. The fact you didn't know about it makes it even better.

Vader said:

Despite that, there also never were mission objectives at all.

So ya took that out?

Vader said:

ok actually i know what you're reffering to with the green fog, but be sure this has been fixed.

That was another "mission objective" (you know, that thing you said never existed?) that one had to do so he could go to another area. It's like Hexen mixed with doom with a dash of suck for taste. You sure you work for this project?

Vader said:

Btw, you shouldn't judge a whole project after playing the first map that wasn't even final in the version you "acquired"!

Actually it was told to be "finished" at the time. The gameplay was said to be completed.

Vader said:

You fail it.

My head = busted.

If you wanted KDIZD to be good, you would have listened to the criticism you received from the community LAST time. your team did not.

I'm not trying to be a troll, I've just had enough. A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet. Same with KDIZD. No matter how you spin it, how much "work" you put on it, it still is one of many "episode one" remakes, with as many zdumb features and detail that can slow down a 500 Mhz to a dismal crawl, just because you can! When I first heard of this project, I thought "Hey! These guys just might bring Tom Hall's Doom bible to life!". How wrong I was!

Csonicgo said:
Yeah, there was. The fact you didn't know about it makes it even better.

There were 2 leaks, idiot. If you count multiple leaks of the same data, that doesn't count.

That was another "mission objective" (you know, that thing you said never existed?) that one had to do so he could go to another area. It's like Hexen mixed with doom with a dash of suck for taste. You sure you work for this project?

There are no mission objectives. Instead of rambling incomprehensible gibberish you could describe what you consider as such. Nevertheless, whatever you point to it's wrong.

Actually it was told to be "finished" at the time. The gameplay was said to be completed.

If you didn't like it back then don't even bother with the final product. And since you are not capable of putting your opinion into meaningful sentences it has no value for us anyway.

My head = busted

Quite obviously.

Graf Zahl said:

If you didn't like it back then don't even bother with the final product

Thanks for proving my point.

*steps out of thread*

Scuba Steve said:

Stfu about KDIZD, it can't be "disappointing" until it is released. Stop derailing this thread.

Ok, I'll bite and put the thread back on the rails.

2sector zdaemon deathmatch megawad. I know it's only TWO sectors, but some just used the second sector as a "step" and made the rest of the map flat. Flat, bland, and boring. I guess it's all you could do with the limitations, I suppose.

Scuba Steve said:

2 sectors seems like a stupid concept.

It was. The most you could do with such a limit is trickery with linedefs, and only a few managed to do that properly.

Hobbs said:

Hey look a kdizd leak conversation.

Don't worry, KDiZD WILL be released this year. I can sense it! :P

@Csonicgo: Ok, I'll let this case rest and instead point you to Graf Zahl's answer!
Only one more thing:

If you wanted KDIZD to be good, you would have listened to the criticism you received from the community LAST time. your team did not.

This is absolutely not true, we tried to consider and execute suggestions made by the public!
However, even you have to understand that there is something like different tastes and we just discarded those suggestions that seemed to us as a team not necessary or simply not good.
If you don't like the final result it's fine, but assuming we're this stubborn and saying we don't listen to useful critism is nothing more than a LIE!

Ok, sorry for that...

On topic:
I've to admit that i was pretty much disappointed by Foreverhood!
The concept and preview graphics (although mostly black&white) were definitely promising, but the end product just didn't appeal to me in some way.

IMO, Hell Revealed II was a big disappointment for me.
I read some really good reviews of this, but on playing it, I just didn't enjoy it at all.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

At about midnight a year ago give or take a month or so, I had finally found a copy of Doom Rampage Edition. Nobody told me how much dick it was going to fit into it's giant festering asshole - and I could sense something was wrong while I typed "-file dre.wad" into my Run prompt. The 99MB WAD just seemed to stare at me from my Doom directory as the ZDoom "Select iWAD" menu appeared... And that's when I knew it was all over.

My penis shrank four inches after playing this WAD. And another two when I figured out the "music" was from The Offspring.

Doom Rampage Edition is not a product of KY and a fox dildo. It is in fact a giant black hole of eyerape and causes your brain to be ripped into five separate dimensions upon playing it.

Arcade.wad , sure good or somewhat to say fights, but the arena is the same for EVERY level and then blank no monster ones, and worst of all, TOO MUCH AMMO and the Quake graphics give me a headache even though they are flashy (Personally, Quake should stay where it supposed to, graphics everything-- But the Railgun stays, not like it's any better then Quake's).

And mostly all the Jokewads, my god, they are horrendous, Nuts = piece of crap, Mock2 = 1 funny part, but game play fucked up, and Kama Sutra = Some of you guys played it and thought it was good, but I thought it was rather boring, opening stunk, and some of it's game play left me playing Scythe (1), compared, Scythe still beats most wads.

Honestly, I tend to keep no opinion on projects that are before they are released, so I can't be "disappointed", per se.

What I find disappointing in general is that many wad makers don't really have any sense of place. Their problem is that their map layouts are way too generic, and instead of trying to make us beleive like we're in a living breathing place, we're just in a bunch of boxy rooms that happen to have overloadedly textured walls. Tormentor in particular is pretty bad about this, he would be such a badass mapper if he concentrated more on a sense of place as a whole instead of designing detail by numbers or motif or whatever you want to call it.

Having played both leaked kdizd wads, I have to say Csonicgo's title fits him well, even though I didn't enjoy them at all.

I've also remembered another rather disappointing wad, and that was Phobia - The Age. Great music, grand architecture, really weak gameplay on both of the skill levels that I've played.

Dr. Zin said:

I think he liked Deus Vult.

That map was the best Cooperative wad ever. That is, if you could play it without massive lag.

Erp said:

Star wars doom

Which exactly? IMO Matt Falk's maps were pretty well designed, resembling the SW universe a lot.

I don't see how Hellcore 2.0 was that disappointing considering 90% of the commuinity didn't even care, nor know about it's existance until it was released. There was hardly any hype. If you want my vote for most disappointing project ever, it would be Ninja doom.. as it was never even released.. and had massive hype.

Good day.

I don't think I can really put my finger on something like the "most disappointing" wad, at this point. By now I more or less stick to what I like (rather purist stuff), and though sometimes I'm a bit unsatisfied or surprised, it's never something too far from what I expected. And when I'm trying something less orthodox I generally have more curiosity that a critical need to be entertained, so I'm usually not really disappointed; I'm really not expectant in regard to things I don't feel are "DOOM".

Also, looking back I have the impression that to a good degree my tastes were defined by what I liked, and by where I preferred to move towards from a design perspective, and not really by what I didn't like. This makes disappointments rather vague or insignificant.

Scuba Steve said:
Sorry, any self respecting Doomer can't even begin to say Batman Doom was disappointing. If you don't enjoy playing it that's fine everyone has their own taste in mods.

Oh, right, the game play is irrelevant in respect to how satisfying or disappointing a DOOM addon is.

Personally, I've been heavily disappointed by things that had evident skill, effort, or quality behind them (books, movies, wads, etc.). Keep in mind the question is about how disappointing the wads were, which is a relation between how satisfying they were and any expectations we may have had. To get disappointing a wad has to have some promise in the first place, and the TCs or mods he mentioned are often ranked amongst the best of stuff.

Glassyman said:
Scythe 2 because it needs 3 maps to be a real megawad.

That didn't affect me that much, but that some maps were not (extended) v1.9 compatible, did. I can't say it was the most disappointing wad, though, since it's levels are superb and most work fine.

I didn't mention Knee Deep In ZDoom and The Community is Falling 3. I think they are disappointing for the long wait.