Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

vanilla map (episode?) in the making

Just a qucik attempt to refresh mapping flexibility after being idle for such a long period. As the thread name suggests, this is a vanilla-compatibile (however some limit-removing will probably be neccesary) Doom 2 map, using textures from Plutonia.

I'm thinking about making it a seven map epsiode.

Looking pretty good.

If those are shadows from the hall lights in the first pic, I'd suggest smoothing them out like you did for the ceiling lights in the third pic. Looks more consistent, plus there's 2 anyway.

Ooh, I was hoping doom2.exe honestly, but please continue this!

Let me suggest something, ellmo, that might make the map look a lot better. See the light brown square panel textures you used? With some clever alignment and breaking up some of those lines into 32-unit pieces, you can make a pretty good light/dark alternating pattern on those structures. Also take into consideration the flat being used and align your textures to those.
It might increase your sidedef count just a bit, but overall it's worth it. If you're aiming for a limit-removing port, then this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Here's an example to illustrate: http://www.doomvault.com/material.png

Yup, looks promising, and definitively not doom2.exe compatible. Maybe with less detail...

EarthQuake said:

Let me suggest something, ellmo, that might make the map look a lot better(...) <suggestion>

[/b]

I must admit I thought about that, but I simlpy don't have enough spare time to play with it. Too much university duties to put so much effort into something most players would hardly notice, if you know what I mean :) Still that's a good suggestion, and I might reconsider it after dealing with my uni-work.

Maes said:

Yup, looks promising, and definitively not doom2.exe compatible. Maybe with less detail...

Well the point is to make a map (set of maps) that wouldn't force anyone to use a specified source port. I know it would most probably kill vanilla EXE right away, but I'm just trying to make sure it plays like vanilla, and can be run under any desired engine (this will however probably make me block jumping somehow)
Plus - I wanted to test my skills with vanilla tags and specials :)

AgentSpork said:

Could use less L-shaped rooms. But maybe that's just me. :P

Why? I only see three L-shaped rooms. L-shape FTW!

Here are some shots from another map. It's using the same texture pack, and it also is designed to run under any limit-removing source port.

Nice looking shots. Clever usage of the SLIME/SPACEW textures. Make it Doom2.exe compatible ;)

Pretty sweet lookin. I especially like what you've got goin on in the second batch. can't wait to see the finished product.