Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steeveeo

Fireworks for Doom!

Yeah, the title says it. I made something for the Fourth of July.

http://rapidshare.com/files/41120992/fireworks.wad

Its ONLY FOR THE LATEST VERSION OF GZDOOM! NOTHING ELSE! (1.0.24 specific flags)

I know the fireworks dont have any sound, but thats just because my camera sucks, and there are no sound libraries on the net that have good, clear fireworks sounds.

I will have sound, and possibly a way to launch the fireworks yourself, later on, once I have some time.

This whole setup took me about an hour (less that it took for me to go buy some real fireworks)

(note, I had to use rapidshare because savefile is acting up and I dont really want to search for anything else, so bear through it, or wait until savefile works.)

UPDATE!

New version here: http://www.savefile.com/files/866445

SCREENSHOTS:
- http://www.freewebs.com/steeveeo3001/fireworks.png

Send me any screenshots via PM if you wish to share.

BTW, anyone have any good sound libraries that have some clear FW sounds?

(and no dont post a frikkin link to google, thats where I've been searching!)

When I saw the initial post I was like "Meh, it'll just be some crappy novelty wad". Well... it is a novelty wad but it is well done. Really cool. I hope you finish it off with some sounds etc. A night sky would also help show the effects off nicely.

wow, better responces than I initially thought! I was thinking that everyone would be like "oh geez...another retarded wad..."

Thanks all for your positive feedback!

I may make it a possibility to light off your own combo of fireworks using keyboard combos....should I?

Oh, and anyone got a good 6 sided Night Skybox?

@Torm: Yeah, I tried dynamic lights, for some reason the maximum size is only like 512 or somtm... I tried putting in a massive value for the big fireworks (like 65535), but it still only rendered it like 512 (which doesnt even come close to lighting up any ground).

@YMB: Thanks, I'll go check that out.

Steeveeo said:

@YMB

That one took me a while. "Who the hell... oh, it's me." I'm not good with abbreviations.

Steeveeo said:

I may make it a possibility to light off your own combo of fireworks using keyboard combos....should I?

Very yes.

nice. some of the larger displays got a lil' laggy, but my comp is old. gotta find the sounds to complete the feel.

the five crackling mortars will lag ANYTHING, trust me...I tried fixing it, but it just didnt look as cool... *rolleye*

I'll try to get the keybindings going...hmm...I'll most likely have to have the player bind their own keys to the fireworks launches.

BTW. I got an...ok...night skybox.

The area is now extended (more water and more terrain).

Lighting fixed a little better (pitch black seemed a little dark...)

UPDATE!

I have now added the ability to launch your own fireworks displays! Just go into the Customize Controls menu and set up your bindings (firework stuff is at the bottom)

CHANGELOG:

-Sounds have been added (although I cannot get the launch sounds to play in full volume).
-Custom Show abilities
-Better looking environment
-A little easier to see (although still not too bright)
-New sky (kinda cheap, but will replace as soon as I find a better one)
-New start spot
-Water reflectiveness looks better.

KNOWN BUGS:
-Horizon special does not handle sloped floors all too well, horizon is pretty much cut up. Barely noticable in the dark.

WARNING:
Be careful when launching custom shows! Too many fireworks at one time WILL LOCK UP YOUR COMP. (I got new hardware, launching 7 Krakatoas locked me up for about 3 minutes (when standing near the launchpad))

See first post for link.

Anything else that needs added? (if its more fireworks, make your own and send me the coding and any files needed via PM)

Is this thing suitable to upload to the /idgames archive? (without being ridiculed)

yeah, I was using some effects I discovered (most of which were accidental) in a demo wad I was creating to demonstrate a lot of the unused features of GZDoom.

BTW, that will be coming soon...as soon as I figure out what to do next...

I guess my talent lies in coding...not mapping! XP

I can give you this- It's original. And the effects are pulled off quite well, for the Doom engine at least.

heh, I made a nuke in Doom once.....lagged me up for about 10 minutes...

Doom cannot handle as high of sprite counts as Battlezone2 (which I made a similar nuke with the same amount of sprite particles with very little framerate hit)

But, its Doom...13 years old and counting...what do ya expect *rolleye*

Tormentor667 said:

2 Suggestions:
- Star Sky
- Dynamic Lights

...that would greatly enhance the look of this :)

dynamic lights will KILL any computer. Seriously, they are unoptimized, horrible garbage.

The Lag said:

you can *******ely build something very nice out of this

Did you replace a 'b' with a 's'?
(***olutely!)

I suspect he spelled definitely incorrectly. I don't think the forum likes that. Hang on...

*******ely

[edit]Yup ;)[/edit]

Uh I'm doing something wrong. I'm using the latest version of Gzdoom, and the latest uploaded wad on this thread, but I can't see the fireworks. Any help?

Are you just loading the WAD or are you puking the scripts? (Puke 1 gives a fireworks display.) Also, the point where the fireworks launch from is quite a walk from the player 1 start point.

the newest version of the Fireworks has a KEYCONF thing, so just set your fireworks controls in the "Customize Controls" menu (at the bottom)

Also, the fireworks are visible from the start point.

Thanks it works now. Yeah I was just loading the wad.

Great work. Not only this is very beautyful, but also could be used in wads for extra atmosphere on a city map. It reminds me the zombie movie where the humans used fireworks to freeze zombies.

heh, just after I posted that help post.

Thx for the compliment.

This could also be used for ending credits or somtm.

Steeveeo said:

This could also be used for ending credits or somtm.

Yeah, I thought it could be useful for that. I had in mind the video you used to get with the game Syndicate whenever you successfully completed a mission.