Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

Doom Hires Texture Pack

why start a new high rez texture project when one has been going (and almost finished) for awhile?

or am i grossly misinformed :p

Xtife said:

why start a new high rez texture project when one has been going (and almost finished) for awhile?

This is by the same people, if I'm thinking of the same one you're thinking of.

These look fantastic. How long until you think they are finished?

they will be finished when people help make textures

All information about the pack is in the readme files (Inside the pack)

KuriKai, cons1_1, cons1_5, and cons1_7 were "made" by me, using pieces from other matching textures for consistency. (I am not taking credit for other peoples' work! I used the existing computer textures and FLAT23, because otherwise it wouldn't match with the textures that it's supposed to match with.) In the textfile, they're credited to Fredrik. If I could at least have my name mentioned or something, that'd be nice.

EDIT: Okay, I just read the thing in the readme about not being able to modify other peoples' textures or use parts of them in your own without asking them first. This is an incredibly counterproductive rule, since the actual textures in doom.wad and doom2.wad are made up of patches that are used in multiple textures. If their hi-res replacements don't use the same parts, they're not guaranteed to be compatible with all uses of the originals. All the textures are going into the same pack, anyway, regardless of who made them. Can't we all just get along and work together to make something that's actually usable and complete, instead of arguing over who gets to use what? :(

I will add you to the credits. That is in the readme so people do not blatently rip of other artists work. Of course you can use it as a base for similer textures but you have to say you did not do the whole thing

done. ah looking at your email I remeber that name (sl4) on the jfiles forums. Any other textures yours? or would you like to help make some?

KuriKai said:

I will add you to the credits. That is in the readme so people do not blatently rip of other artists work. Of course you can use it as a base for similer textures but you have to say you did not do the whole thing

done. ah looking at your email I remeber that name (sl4) on the jfiles forums. Any other textures yours? or would you like to help make some?

Thanks. :)

I made a GRAY*/ICKWALL* set back around 2005, with matching and accuracy to the originals as the main goal. If I remember right, I never finished all of it, but I'll take a look and see how much is there and how much is left to do.

EDIT: Found it and uploaded it, along with a bunch of other texture replacements I did around the same time.

Here they are!

The sp_rock replacement set was based on a royalty-free image from imageafter.com (if you're not sure about the legality, check their terms of service I guess), and the Radiation sign on one of the gray* textures was taken from the older gray* set, for consistency. If you're not using that style anymore, feel free to replace it with one that matches.

As you can see, some of them still need some tweaking for realism, but I think they're mostly a pretty decent start at least.

I've uploaded the original psds of all the ones I could find, too, so feel free to adjust them if you want. :)

EDIT EDIT: Also, as something to keep in mind for if you ever try redoing metal/support3 again...in doom2.wad, it is possible to use metal, support3, ceil5_2, brown96, and brown144 all interchangeably without noticeable seams. I'm not exactly sure how to best accomplish this with hi-res, much-higher-detail textures, but if you're going for compatibility, you should definitely have metal and support3 be based on each other, and have ceil5_2 match properly with both metal* and brown*-based textures, since that's what it's made for.

Definitely the best hires textures I've seen for Doom (what little I've seen of them)

But they generally are lacking a certain sharpness, contrast and depth.

EDIT: that being said however, it doesn't concern me as I'm of the opinion that Doom and High resolution resources do not mix.

kristus said:

Definitely the best hires textures I've seen for Doom (what little I've seen of them)

But they generally are lacking a certain sharpness, contrast and depth.

EDIT: that being said however, it doesn't concern me as I'm of the opinion that Doom and High resolution resources do not mix.

please leave a message in the doomtextures forum saying what specific textures are lacking. So we can improve on them.

Fantastic work! I've speed-up development of DelphiDoom to support PNG just because of DHTP!!!