Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

From the Ashes of Fear - Download NOW!!!

Looking good! The use of the Wolfenstein textures is very clever and unusual. I look forward to seeing this when it's done!

Thanks to Enjay's timely play-testing and comments, I have completed From the Ashes of Fear. As the idgames archives will not be updated for another week or so, I have uploaded the wad to my site. Download, text file/project information, and pictures may be found at DooM Nexus.

I was just going to ask about it. I did a few runs but I did miss two nights sleep in the last 3 days, so I've been humiliated sometimes.
map15, tried to silence the opposition at the start, didn't get far (30kills or so), many reruns same strategy and same result (most of the times a demon got me).
Map 31 warmed up now but didn't get that far (65k)Almost all the time low on health. Health balance is different here. Liked the brightness of this level and the fact that you can blaze through it. Didn't like some ceilings though (15,17 &18 @http://doomnexus.drdteam.org/Screens/).
Map32 the beginning is a bit tedious/easy with way too much health. Real fun started in the room with the knights. After 20 minutes I was in that room. Looks you made up some serious battle there.
Did a rerun on map15 then, after 20 minutes I was on my way to the blue key when I made a fault and got hit two times in a row.
I didn't use much of all the health available. Though it's an impressive level, it didn't move me, it has some sterile atmosphere. Of course I got my ass kicked again, so another rerun is needed and so my opinion can change.
All three levels give you plenty of room and it seems to me that they're optimized for speedrunning. Guess that's why all that health is there in 15/31.
Sofar 31 looks very promising and that archvile room of lvl 32 looks very interesting.

Very fun. All maps were well designed and fairly challenging. I found no secrets.

Butts said:

Very fun. All maps were well designed and fairly challenging. I found no secrets.

Thanks for your compliments. As for the secrets, I admit they are not obvious. However, I believe there are adequate clues to help the player out. Otherwise, there's always the file secrets&tips.txt, which is included in the zip; it describes how to find each secret.

coldfusio said:

Map32 the beginning is a bit tedious/easy with way too much health.

Agreed. However, because of the theme of pitting the player against increasing tougher enemies, I had to start the map with the easier enemies. The extra health is really there for use after the later fights.