Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, here goes.
1.) Why do you have a Baron as the first enemy encountered, and in such a small place? I get ripped up unless I simply run around him (which doesn't always work).
2.)Where's the detail? NEARLY EVERYTHING IS SQUARE/RECTANGULAR!
3.)Why in God's name are there multiple Icons of Sin in this map?
4.)Overall, it's way too cramped. The lift near the beginning isn't even clearly marked as a lift, it took me a while to find it.

yomoneyboat said:

Okay, here goes.
1.) Why do you have a Baron as the first enemy encountered, and in such a small place? I get ripped up unless I simply run around him (which doesn't always work).
2.)Where's the detail? NEARLY EVERYTHING IS SQUARE/RECTANGULAR!
3.)Why in God's name are there multiple Icons of Sin in this map?
4.)Overall, it's way too cramped. The lift near the beginning isn't even clearly marked as a lift, it took me a while to find it.

The monster spawners were merely placed there for the scenario that you have to rush to hit the switch as more monsters pour in. For every other complaint, I'll make a note of them. Also worth noting that, on the lowest difficulty, the first enemy is a Cacodemon.

MetroidJunkie said:

The monster spawners were merely placed there for the scenario that you have to rush to hit the switch as more monsters pour in.

You didn't leave enough room for mancubi to move once they spawn, so it makes them useless. Once the mancs are stuck there, no other enemies will spawn correctly.

yomoneyboat said:

You didn't leave enough room for mancubi to move once they spawn, so it makes them useless. Once the mancs are stuck there, no other enemies will spawn correctly.

I'm editing the halls and rooms to be larger as we speak.

dutch devil said:

Lolz sticky monsters.

Though this is my flaw, I still think it's funny. I made the rooms bigger so hopefully it won't happen, I just have to upload it.

Use map30 if you don't want this to happen they only telefrag eachother on map30 on any other map they get stuck, this does bring back alot of old memories though :p

The map itself was pretty basic but good for an first map imo my first ones didn't looked like this they were worse, gameplay was boring and far too easy but still keep practicing you get better with every map you make.

dutch devil said:

Use map30 if you don't want this to happen they only telefrag eachother on map30 on any other map they get stuck, this does bring back alot of old memories though :p

The map itself was pretty basic but good for an first map imo my first ones didn't looked like this they were worse, gameplay was boring and far too easy but still keep practicing you get better with every map you make.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just tested it and, with the improved and bigger map, the Mancubus is no longer stuck. I just uploaded it.

I didn't realize that that MAP30 is the only map that allows monsters to telefrag one another (and the player) but it would explain a lot.

Some years ago I made a set of rather stupid maps, most of which I probably never took seriously. MAP02 had an Icon of sin on it (well, sort of...it was actually a cave in a wall where I put a monster spawner) and they would spawn in places where they wouldn't fit. Same thing on MAP10, which was way to cramped. The face on the wall was like 8 feet in front of the player when he went up on the lift. There was even a cyberdemon, and a spider mastermind stuck in what little space was left.

Seriously, first maps always have little mistakes like that. The difference with yours is that you can easily fix most of them. Mine just weren't worth rescuing. :P

Eh, I would have to say this is an ok start, you grasp the basics so far... but if you want to get better, try taking a look at doom2... or even better at something like Alien Vendetta, or try looking at some single map wads and getting the feel for adding detail to rooms, and see how they do it ;P

I wish you luck in your en devours and I hope you stick to single maps until you have LOTS of people saying that your maps are fun :)

For direct advice, Id say try adding some sectors in the beginning part of your map, and chainging the ceiling height and floor height (more the ceiling, but not so much the player gets stuck), Try putting verticies in to the walls of your "lab" to change up the textures and possibly shorten up your lights you have there, also add a couple sectors in side your light there and make the light fade from a bright center to the room light level. Aslo try making some vertical wall braces, or some ceiling lamps or possibly put some drain grating on the floor, or put some pipes on the walls, or some computers.

I like what I see, I want to see you develop this map! :)

Doom_master1122 said:

the map was still good. He has something going. Even though i didnt have that bug of the monsters getting stuck.
either way, keep going make a map 2

Will do, thanks for the encouragement. :)

I beat it in about 5 tries. Kind of an unconventional small simple run since you mostly run past the enemies instead of fight them. It's challenging but maybe luck based (low ammo + easily getting stuck in a thin cooridor dead end). Weird stuff like an invisible hole in the right wall at the start that leads nowhere it seems. Now that I think about it I don't know what that switch even did since I guess I already had the red key, all well switched it anyway.

gggmork said:

I beat it in about 5 tries. Kind of an unconventional small simple run since you mostly run past the enemies instead of fight them. It's challenging but maybe luck based (low ammo + easily getting stuck in a thin cooridor dead end). Weird stuff like an invisible hole in the right wall at the start that leads nowhere it seems. Now that I think about it I don't know what that switch even did since I guess I already had the red key, all well switched it anyway.

If you mean the switch in the piping, a door closes on you when you enter so the detour to switch it back open is to give the pillar(s) a free hit at you to atleast spawn a monster or two.

Oh, I see. A simpler way maybe using less elements is just to remove the switch and blocking wall, and position the red key where the switch was instead. It would result in the same necessary player movements.
Or instead you could remove the red key and blocking wall, and instead have the switch open the red door (switch activated instead of requiring a key)

Also note that larger/heavier monsters require larger surface areas on steps to step up/down. (ex. right after you flip the switch and exit the boss room, you can stand down below the stairs and be relatively safe, because only reverants/imps/gunmen are small enough to go down those particular stairs (and things that fly). Barons, demons/etc stay stuck up there.

gggmork said:

Oh, I see. A simpler way maybe using less elements is just to remove the switch and blocking wall, and position the red key where the switch was instead. It would result in the same necessary player movements.
Or instead you could remove the red key and blocking wall, and instead have the switch open the red door (switch activated instead of requiring a key)

Also note that larger/heavier monsters require larger surface areas on steps to step up/down. (ex. right after you flip the switch and exit the boss room, you can stand down below the stairs and be relatively safe, because only reverants/imps/gunmen are small enough to go down those particular stairs (and things that fly). Barons, demons/etc stay stuck up there.

It wouldn't really make a difference because, unless an Archville is chasing you, you have little to worry about back in the main hall.

Mostly sucky. Probably didn't take too long to make and lacks in both the 'roller coaster' 1st play feel as well as replay. I could probably beat it like 80 times in a row without dying. Putting a major source of ammo and weapon hidden as a secret at the start maybe isn't a good idea because not everyone will find the secret. Also you can again mostly just run past the enemies with no need to kill many except the chaingunners.

It was pretty bland to be honest with you. It was a bit on the easy side too. I just ran by most of the monsters and I only killed the Pain Elemental.

Lizardcommando said:

It was pretty bland to be honest with you. It was a bit on the easy side too. I just ran by most of the monsters and I only killed the Pain Elemental.

How can I improve it? More textures, more enemies, more closed out spaces, what?

MetroidJunkie said:

How can I improve it? More textures, more enemies, more closed out spaces, what?

First of all, you need some serious texture alignment. This can really make a sub-par looking wad into a pretty good one. You also need MORE SECTORS!!! Most of your level took place in large undetailed chambers. Spice it up a bit. There wasn't intelligent item/monster placement. There weren't enough enemies, and there wasn't enough items or weaponry. It took only about 5 minutes, too. Which was good, because that's all I could take of this level, anyway.

yomoneyboat said:

First of all, you need some serious texture alignment. This can really make a sub-par looking wad into a pretty good one. You also need MORE SECTORS!!! Most of your level took place in large undetailed chambers. Spice it up a bit. There wasn't intelligent item/monster placement. There weren't enough enemies, and there wasn't enough items or weaponry. It took only about 5 minutes, too. Which was good, because that's all I could take of this level, anyway.

http://www.speedyshare.com/912961915.html

I made some improvements in positioning as well as enemy numbers and locations and added a brain section. I hope that it's atleast better than before.

additup said:

Damn fun for a first wad.

I assume you're talking about my Caveandlab. Thanks for the complimentary. :D I don't remember if I made WADs before but that was the first one I felt comfortable with actually posting. ^_^'