Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spiderdemon6669

Doom 1 Music In Doom 2

I haven't seen any such wad (nor should it be encouraged).

That should be easy to do for personal use if you have both games. Place all the DOOM music in a PWAD (with XWE or something) and then rename the lumps to the DOOM II music names belonging to the levels you want them to play for.

One idea would be load doom.wad as a pwad followed by doom2.wad, and a dehacked patch that causes the program to use the doom.wad music in place of the doom2.wad music.

Can't easily test this (not at home), but I don't see why it shouldn't work (a possible problem would be the length of the lump names - if so, then you'd need to use bex format instead, which means needing a Boom-compatible port).

uDOOMmus.wad

The accompanying TXT file includes reference material for those who want to attempt a conversion of their own, as well as some interesting observations and comparison between DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD music entries.

Edit: it would be nice if someone good with Wiki incorporated that info into DOOM Wiki.

Grazza said:
Can't easily test this (not at home), but I don't see why it shouldn't work (a possible problem would be the length of the lump names - if so, then you'd need to use bex format instead, which means needing a Boom-compatible port).

Music name changing works in Doom and in Boom (or full compatibles), but not in ZDoom (where one can use a MapInfo lump instead). I haven't tested with any other engines.

myk said:

I haven't seen any such wad (nor should it be encouraged).

Of course it should not be encouraged, because Doom 2 has its own music as well, which with some effort may still sound good. Why do I always have to hear a copy of D_E2M1, D_E1M9...?

There are many large level wads using Doom 1 music for Doom 2, that's a truth.

It would be interesting to see what Doom 1 music fits each Doom 2 level, though, if not a bit boring... Unless the wad above I don't want to get now gives the answer.