Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

spewing forth fire, that mottled host, that terror of the night sky

Would you like to see a Dragon or Balrog in Doom?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Dragon or Balrog in Doom?

• Hell yes! You mean this hasn\'t already been done!?
    • Umm... might be cool but think it\'s too difficult.
    • I don\'t think dragons or Balrog?? have any place in doom.

I´d play a wad containing a (beatable) dragon, and probably wouldn´t find it one bit more or less "DooM-like" than so many other weird creatures that haunt assorted wads out there.

The ideas of introducing this formidable creature in a Hell-themed map sounds good, as a medeval style dragon may not fit well with a tech map. But a mechanical dragon perhaps would?!

And if one could accept a dragon under those terms, why not a balrog?

Go for it!

Death-Destiny> Bonusinfo> You were dead-on with the description of that dragon in your first post.
However, not that i want to be unbearable zealous, if thats not too late, but its name should be spelled "Nidhug".
As it is in the olden norse language.
The name is actually somewhat ambiguous as it could mean both knave-slayer or a slaying knave!

Ancient norse hello/goodbye:

---------------------------------------
Lykke og Fred : Good fortune and peace
---------------------------------------

I kind of lean away from a bionic dragon. A devilish one sounds good though.

Jim Rainer: I meant how does one go about making this for doom, not how does one go about killing it once it's made! hehe.

Hellbent said:

Nice :) so how is this dragon going to be tackled? Is it possible to have a monster bigger than a EDIT: Spidermastermind [strikethru]cacodemon[/strikethru] and more sprites than a Cyberdemon?

If you make it bigger than the Spider you'll have it even more vulnerable to BFG hitscans and demon paralysis in vanillaDoom.

You can put as many frames as you want. The archvile exceeds Z, by going into the next ASCII symbols. Note that you'll need a hex editor to decapitalize whatever follows after `. If you don't put the frames in sequence and skip some frame characters (like those small letters a-z, knowing the lumps' naming convention in caps) vanilla Doom and vanilla-like ports (such as Eternity) won't run.

It'll require some planning, like should it walk/run? I don't know whether you can make him intelligently choose to fly in ZDoom or EE.

printz said:

If you make it bigger than the Spider you'll have it even more vulnerable to BFG hitscans and demon paralysis in vanillaDoom.

You can put as many frames as you want. The archvile exceeds Z, by going into the next ASCII symbols. Note that you'll need a hex editor to decapitalize whatever follows after `. If you don't put the frames in sequence and skip some frame characters (like those small letters a-z, knowing the lumps' naming convention in caps) vanilla Doom and vanilla-like ports (such as Eternity) won't run.

It'll require some planning, like should it walk/run? I don't know whether you can make him intelligently choose to fly in ZDoom or EE.

That was my next question, whether it shoud be able to walk as well as fly. I reckon on the ground it wouldn't be able to move very quickly--say speed 8 despite its size (making it seem to move very slowly) and in the sky it should move at about speed 11 or 12.
You're right that it should remain spidermastermind size for the reason you gave. It shouldn't get pushed back the way cacodemons do when you shoot them. I guess the most challenging part would be doing the realistic spirtes, as well as making it fly as well as walk.

Hellbent said:

Nice :) so how is this dragon going to be tackled? Is it possible to have a monster bigger than a EDIT: Spidermastermind cacodemon and more sprites than a Cyberdemon?

Fixed!

I agree with printz - the bigger they are, the easier they are to hitscan.
I'd favour a dragon walking with it's wings folded - probably a more imposing sight than a flying dragon (which is mostly wing) while presenting a smaller target when viewed face-on.

it would be nice like in Quake if you could have a monster impervious to one kind of ammo type while damaged by another. Make the dragon impervious to bullets/shells and resistant to plasma but most susceptible to rockets. I think I'd prefer a dragon that flies over one that is solely bound to the ground. What's the code for strikethrough btw? thanks for fixing that. :)