Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mik57

Random generated map idea challenge

I'd do it, unfortunately, I am already involved in a ton of community projects and I need to get them done, before I start on more. I wish you luck though :D.

Build a tiny forgotten hellish spaceport map.
The player has to kill two Imps,
destroy some big computer,
kill three Imps,
destroy a lot big computer,
destroy some demon gateway,
destroy a ridiculous amount big computer,
find a big computer hiding behind a big computer,
destroy two demon gateway and
kill some Imps

I think the generator has a fetish for imps and big computers.

I agree with Butts. We probably ought to do a different community project. Otherwise, we'll end up with a pretty silly WAD involving hunting down and destroying a ridiculous lot of computers and whatnot...

i had a killer idea for a community project but i forgot what it was!!!!

well i got a couple good ideas (or so i think)

1) make a classic style megawad, using the doom2 configuration, and have it be made for people who like to do all the compet-n stuff, but still be fun for the average doomer. i was thinking along the lines of AV and Kama Sutra, because when i played those i had ridiculous amounts of fun and it brought back good memories of first getting custom wads and such, and it brought me back to requiem and scythe.

2) a project for eternity. thats all i can think of for now

these are just ideas though, dont know if anyone really likes them, maybe someone could add something. im kinda busy so i dont really feel like starting one right now, otherwise i would have tried already

"Destroying machines" can be handled as mission objectives: have the player place a bomb in a niche on the contraption.

"Destroying crates" sounds like Quake 2's dark destructible crates.

Destroying only a few imps should probably refer to super-imps or something more than the brown ones.

esselfortium said:

Imp everyday

After Two Sectors and One Monster, the Three Imps community project. Rules are simple: make a level as interesting as possible, knowing that the level must not be completable until the player has killed the three imps of the level.

(No, I'm not seriously proposing this.)

The first click on that page brings up this epic, randomly generated adventure:

Build a vast destroyed hellish spaceport map.
The player has to destroy some power generator and

But ruins it:

kill three Spectres

9_9

EDIT: A few clicks later and I'm already laughing my ass off.

Build a cramped torn apart bright warehouse map.
The player has to find a big computer and
find a BFG9k which is hidden behind some big computer

Guest DILDOMASTER666

For just a split second, I thought this was about "make a map that randomly generates itself on startup, most creative coding wins"

Because I have a WAD of 3 different maps that randomly create themselves with ACS, one ROTT-based, one typical Doom, and the last a city.

TOO BAD.

As for myself, I really like the idea, but I did say up the top of the thread that I prolly dont have the time to commit to it.

You may have to plan out more clearly what you want to achieve here, before people will really get seriously involved. People see good doom projects come and go all the time. If you believe in this, build a few levels, and then people will see something concrete happening, then you have a much better chance of getting a team project going.

Good luck though, it is a cool idea

heh

Build a tiny forgotten hellish hi-tech facility map.
The player has to destroy ridiculous numbers of big computer and
destroy ridiculous numbers of lost UAC machine

Fisk said:

Because I have a WAD of 3 different maps that randomly create themselves with ACS

Do those maps look coarse? I can only imagine ACS creating maps by randomly rising or lowering at instant blocky sectors at start-up. I can't imagine large variety, as there can only be as many set-ups. You can't create sectors, you can only modify their heights.

Too bad as you said: few people are programmers.

NONRANDOM MAP IDEA

There is a mapper who keeps polluting the idgames archive with his uninspired crap, the admins is fed up with his bullshit, and is hiring you, the marine, to stop his activities.

Find this cocksucker. End his life.

That already exists in the numerous anti-Guilio-Galassi wads.

I was gonna make one of my own which would have involved you playing as a dashing secret agent who vaguely resembled me (with both a girlfriend and boyfriend vaguely resembling the hottest people i know). You would go to your secret agency which has recently taken delivery of a TARDIS. You then use this (zdoom hub style with switches around the control panel to go to different times and places) to travel to different places in order to collect things to destroy Glassyman's army of cloned monsters with. Including travelling to Skaro to make a deal with the Daleks (and getting one of thier cool tommy guns), killing Zombies in my university with much SSG use, Recruiting Ruba in Bangkok after battling through his house (which resembles his levels, resulting in the character going "guess his maps are pretty realistic, actually"), Capturing a secret substance from Hitler's bunker etc etc.

However i know sod all about Zdoom editing and can't be bothered to learn. And EDGE can't do hubs (well it can in a fake hacky way) so it won't get made. Also GG appears to have given up and gone home so even if i released it now it'd be mega-timeline

deathbringer said:

I was gonna make one of my own which would have involved you playing as a dashing secret agent who vaguely resembled me (with both a girlfriend and boyfriend vaguely resembling the hottest people i know). You would go to your secret agency which has recently taken delivery of a TARDIS. You then use this (zdoom hub style with switches around the control panel to go to different times and places) to travel to different places in order to collect things to destroy Glassyman's army of cloned monsters with. Including travelling to Skaro to make a deal with the Daleks (and getting one of thier cool tommy guns), killing Zombies in my university with much SSG use, Recruiting Ruba in Bangkok after battling through his house (which resembles his levels, resulting in the character going "guess his maps are pretty realistic, actually"), Capturing a secret substance from Hitler's bunker etc etc.

This idea actually sounds kinda cool. It can be done using ZDoom or Skulltag. It's too bad that you won't make it though :(.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
printz said:

Do those maps look coarse? I can only imagine ACS creating maps by randomly rising or lowering at instant blocky sectors at start-up. I can't imagine large variety, as there can only be as many set-ups. You can't create sectors, you can only modify their heights.

Too bad as you said: few people are programmers.

The ROTT map is especially guilty of this. The other two are a little less so (I kind of fake the city a little), and there's a little clever polyobject usage. They all have hacky randomized doors and teleporters, but otherwise, I can't really honestly say they're interesting gameplay wise. The code is interesting to look at I'm sure.

@Doom Marine: Best idea in whole thread.

So what I'm getting from this thread is that I shouldn't feel bad that I'm unable to get passed the first level of Doom on skill 4 since it has a whopping 4 imps. I was beginning to think my doom skills were inadequate.

What about making a doom map as random as possible with as much contrast and change from one area to another? Put sense and logic out the window. This is a dream map where strange things happen and nothing makes sense. This doesn't mean you have a collage of terribly mismatching flats and textures all over the place that don't mean anything--this is not an excuse to be lazy. It should be approached as an artistic endeavor. Maybe some rooms are not complete. Maybe an area is fuzzy--maybe you have a missing texture (HOM) here or there intentionally. But don't go overbaord. Make it interesting--provocative--curious... an opportunity to be as creative as possible--to see how bizarre or interesting the constructions you can make in Doom without the constraints of having to be logical--or having to stick to a theme or mood.

where's Alice?

4 Imps!?! Blasphemy!!!No one could kill 4 Imps!!!

Oh, and I think Hellbent's idea might actually be interesting if taken seriously.

Build a vast demon invaded city map.
The player has to find a BFG9k which is hidden behind a few lost UAC machine,
destroy a few power generator,
find a spaceport,
destroy two crates,
kill three Cyber Demons,
kill a lot Cyber Demons,
destroy two lost UAC machine,
destroy some lost UAC machine,
kill a lot Cyber Demons and
kill two Cyber Demons

You can't kill lots and two Cyber Demons.

Build a tiny demon invaded dark hellish hell map.
The player has to destroy some crates and
kill ridiculous numbers of Arachnotrons and
kill some Barons of Hell and
destroy a few crates and
kill ridiculous numbers of Spidermasterminds and
find a demon gateway which is hidden behind some demon gateway and
find a spaceport which is hidden behind two crates and
kill ridiculous numbers of Icon of Sin and
destroy ridiculous numbers of lost UAC machine and
find a soulsphere

TomoAlien said:

You can't kill lots and two Cyber Demons.

Sure you can! =P

Here's a lot of Cybs to kill...

And here's two more...

Alright, well Ill probably make a quick 4 maps, to see if its possible. And I wont reject any of the random Ideas, Ill just embrace them like a child. A retarded child. :P

Ok, here are the Ideas I just generated that ill make:

Build a vast forgotten dark laboratory map.
The player has to find some skull key,
find a soulsphere which is hidden behind some crates,
destroy two lost UAC machine and
destroy some lost UAC machine

Build a vast demon invaded bright missile silo map.
The player has to destroy three lost UAC machine,
find a soulsphere which is hidden behind a few demon gateway,
find a spaceport and
destroy ridiculous numbers of big computer

Build a vast hellish starbase map.
The player has to destroy a few crates,
destroy a lot lost UAC machine,
find a rocket launcher and
kill three Pain Elementals

Build a vast torn apart dark hell map.
The player has to kill some Imps,
kill three Barons of Hell,
find a plasma gun which is hidden behind some power generator and
kill two Cacodemons

.... This might take a little while...

Why must they all be vast?

Im also making them vanilla compatable

Ill probably finish these by tomorrow night.

So, I guess no one really wants to do this. If anyone does want to do it, speak up please, because I do have it planned out.

And im kinda sorry for the bump.

Indeed. I think the biggest thing that dissuards people from doing this is that it's perhaps too silly and limited. The way that generator works, its likely that the WAD will just be full of hellish techbases full of crates in which the player must find lost UAC machines and destroy computers. Interesting, yes, but does not seem like something to take too seriously. In fact, the idea generator has a disclaimer stating not to take it seriously.

The logical first step is to re-write the idea generator so it spews out fewer nonsensical objectives. Taken a step further, the generator could output parameters to Oblige and write a wad description for "UPLTEMPL.TXT" - making it the ultimate tool for Ruba to spam tha archive with. On the other hand - maybe it's best left as it is.

I wouldn't have been able to do this anyway, as I'm busy working on my own map and don't want to be distracted from it. But maybe I'll make destroying a big computer part of it. ;)

I agree with others in that this random-idea application is too nutty to provide useful parameters. One day I might produce a level based on its counsel, just to see what kind of batfuck lunacy I end up with, but I'm not sure it's possible to do this competition without ending up with a lot of jokewads.

Hmm...a jokewad competition...would we get funny shit, or just shit?

No, we'd mostly just get shit. Never mind.

Build a small forgotten warehouse map.
The player has to kill three Demons

amazing