Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX (Feedback build) Now at v1.1c

Here's hoping there's a fix for the infamous Vista save bug that won't involve having to have explorer.exe shut down while editing.

Fisk said:

@Janitor: Agreed. I've toyed with an "early" version of Builder64, and I must say, I am very pleased. You guys will love this program once it hits the net.

oh really0_o

Whats so great about it other then then the fact that it can create Doom 64 levels like the old Doom Builder could for the Doom 64 TC?

hardcore_gamer said:

oh really0_o

Whats so great about it other then then the fact that it can create Doom 64 levels like the old Doom Builder could for the Doom 64 TC?

All the Doom 64 features are accessible from it just as easily as you can change a sector's floor height or light level in Doom Builder. No gross hacks or magic tag numbers or whatever.

hardcore_gamer said:

oh really0_o

Because the TC is awful. End of story.

dammit, this should be in the faq. I can imagine the question 'why play this when we have doom64 absolution whats the point' raised many, many many times.

esselfortium said:

All the Doom 64 features are accessible from it just as easily as you can change a sector's floor height or light level in Doom Builder. No gross hacks or magic tag numbers or whatever.

Hmmmmmmmm sounds like a reason enough for me to get the new Doom Builder when it comes out then! :)

Kaiser said:

Ummmmmmmm i don't think the TC was awful, heck it was on of the best things i had seen for Doom!

hardcore_gamer said:

LOL sounds great! But why create a "new" Doom Builder instead of just creating a new configuration.file for the old Doom Builder?

Take a closer look at that doom builder screen shot. Notice anything different, like a color section in that sector properties window? Doom 64's engine supports wall coloring independent of a sector, so the floor can be blue, the ceiling can be red, and the wall can be set to fade two colors or be a solid green if you wanted. Heck the players color doesn't even have to change because the lit color of objects is set independently as well. No doom engine supports this yet (not even doomsday) because the doom 64 levels use a different map format than pc doom.
Hence, a configuration file wouldn't do the trick because it cannot support these things.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Also, I discovered what was wrong with the test WADs. If you guys want to fix it yourself:

1) Open doom64.wad with a lump editor of your choice.
2) Extract the entry MAP01 as a .wad.
3) Open MAP01.wad.
4) Save MACROS.lmp.
5) Use glbsp with -normal on one of the test WADs. For example, "glbsp.exe -normal test_deathtrigger.wad -o test_deathtrigger.wad".
6) Inject MACROS.lmp as the last lump in the WAD you built.
7) Enjoy.

Ergo, Doom64.exe will crash when it doesn't find a MACROS lump with the map it tries to load, and there are no GL nodes for some of those WADs. ...Although, the GLBSP.exe for Builder64 could be different than the regular GLBSP. I dunno.

skadoomer said:

Take a closer look at that doom builder screen shot. Notice anything different, like a color section in that sector properties window? Doom 64's engine supports wall coloring independent of a sector, so the floor can be blue, the ceiling can be red, and the wall can be set to fade two colors or be a solid green if you wanted. Heck the players color doesn't even have to change because the lit color of objects is set independently as well. No doom engine supports this yet (not even doomsday) because the doom 64 levels use a different map format than pc doom.
Hence, a configuration file wouldn't do the trick because it cannot support these things.

Oh yea, i failed to notice that before!

But what about the sector color it self? If the wall is blue, the ceiling is green and the floor is red, then of what color would the glow be? For example, when the player walks into a sector that has green lighting, then the players view and gun becomes a little green, but if the walls and the floor and the ceiling all have there own color then what color would affect the players view when he enters the sector? I failed to see any option in the screenshot that mention this.

I suppose the player is affected by the Thing Color.

So suppose you have orange ceiling, green upper wall blend, purple lower wall blend, pink floor, and blue thing. When the player arrives there, his gun takes on a blueish tint even if the walls and flats around do not look blue at all.

Kaiser said:

I guess it's your prerogative to say that.

But you're wrong. ;P

Fisk said:

Also, I discovered what was wrong with the test WADs. If you guys want to fix it yourself:

1) Open doom64.wad with a lump editor of your choice.
2) Extract the entry MAP01 as a .wad.
3) Open MAP01.wad.
4) Save MACROS.lmp.
5) Use glbsp with -normal on one of the test WADs. For example, "glbsp.exe -normal test_deathtrigger.wad -o test_deathtrigger.wad".
6) Inject MACROS.lmp as the last lump in the WAD you built.
7) Enjoy.

Ergo, Doom64.exe will crash when it doesn't find a MACROS lump with the map it tries to load, and there are no GL nodes for some of those WADs. ...Although, the GLBSP.exe for Builder64 could be different than the regular GLBSP. I dunno.

Doom64 doesn't use GL lumps. The SEGS, SSECTORS, and NODES lump ARE the gl compiled lumps. A custom GLBSP is required as well to compile the d64 maps.

Also, as I mentioned before (I think) that the updated link to doom64ex has the updated/fixed maps that are included.

hardcore_gamer said:

Oh yea, i failed to notice that before!

But what about the sector color it self? If the wall is blue, the ceiling is green and the floor is red, then of what color would the glow be? For example, when the player walks into a sector that has green lighting, then the players view and gun becomes a little green, but if the walls and the floor and the ceiling all have there own color then what color would affect the players view when he enters the sector? I failed to see any option in the screenshot that mention this.

There is no 'glow' in Doom64, only the Doomsday TC because that was the only thing I could use to mimic the lighting system.

The walls, thing, floor and ceiling are all independent from one another, which means you can set individual colors for each.

Thing color will effect both sprites and player weapon sprites only, so you can have a room thats all red, but have the sprites/weapon sprites be colored green.

Gez said:

I suppose the player is affected by the Thing Color.

So suppose you have orange ceiling, green upper wall blend, purple lower wall blend, pink floor, and blue thing. When the player arrives there, his gun takes on a blueish tint even if the walls and flats around do not look blue at all.

Correct. You'll find many areas in the d64 levels that has that where the thing color does not match the overall color of the room. Dark Entries, Burnt Offerings, and Final Outpost are good examples. There's no strict limits on how you color a room. The only downside to D64 editing is that it takes more time to complete a level than to complete a standard Doom level because of the way lighting is set up, it takes more time to properly light up a room.

Kaiser said:

The only downside to D64 editing is that it takes more time to complete a level than to complete a standard Doom level because of the way lighting is set up, it takes more time to properly light up a room.

So I'm guessing in your custom doom builder's 3d mode there is no way to mimic the lighting on the walls then. Also, what does 'light index' do?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Light Index refers to a table of light colors to use. You have control over what these colors are.

Lights are stored in a index and for each sectors, they have 5 links to these indexes (Upper wall, lower wall, thing, ceiling and floor).

The indexes for these lights are referenced by the sectors and are stored in the LIGHTS lump for the level.

skadoomer said:

Take a closer look at that doom builder screen shot. Notice anything different, like a color section in that sector properties window? Doom 64's engine supports wall coloring independent of a sector, so the floor can be blue, the ceiling can be red, and the wall can be set to fade two colors or be a solid green if you wanted. No doom engine supports this yet (not even doomsday) because the doom 64 levels use a different map format than pc doom.

Actually, Doomsday has supported this since 1.9.0-beta4 in preparation for jDoom64 (which is currently in development). Its already available in jDoom and jHeretic with support in jHexen coming in beta7.

However, I won't detract from Doom64 EX so thats enough about that.

omg wtf is this gh4y sh*t, doom 64 wuz f*ck3n gheigh as h*lL man who wuld wast there ti3m with dis g4Y a** sh*t f|_|ck1n halo is beda dan dis muthr f*ckn gay sh**

Jokes aside :P this is an extremely neat little project you have going here, Kaiser. This is the way Doom 64 was meant to be done on the computer, and it (so far) kicks too much ass.

I did notice that the mouse sensitivity doesn't go high enough for my needs, but that was easily remedied by changing it manually in the config. It did produce an amusing graphic in the menu though, as the slider was off of the track. :D

Bashe said:

I did notice that the mouse sensitivity doesn't go high enough for my needs, but that was easily remedied by changing it manually in the config. It did produce an amusing graphic in the menu though, as the slider was off of the track. :D

I have to do the same thing for vanilla and chocolate doom.

Nice. I still have the "Absolution" and compared to this... well, you really can't compare it to this seeings as this is basically the true N64 version of Doom. I either case, I can't wait to see the full and final release of this.

@Kaiser: I've sent you a mail regarding the issues I found with memory usage in Doom64EX. If you don't get it then I must have an old email address for you so send me a pm here or contact me at danij@dengine.net

DoomKn1ght said:

Fantastic , way better than the tc.

BTW, have you keep .md2 support from Doom3D, even if this format fail?

No, everything that I didn't need was yanked out.

ok, I got it working. Here's my main complaint. The music is a nightmare on my machine. The music is either choppy, or it makes the game lag to the point of unplayability.

From what I understand, you are using Project 64's music emulation code to play the music. Would it be possible to add mp3 support to the engine so that the music patch for the Doom64 TC could be played with this? would this resolve the lag problems/music issues?

For me, having the music is absolutely necessary for playing Doom 64.

I am not including bulky mp3 wads. I hate them, and I always will.

If anything, I'll make it an option to either play the music as streaming or cached data. Cached will basically save the music up to a certain time and save it out to the memory. This can cut back the workload on the emulation thread. Only drawback to this is that there may be harsh cut offs at the end when the music loops again because doom64's music does not have an end to them.

Btw, post your CPU specs please.

Kaiser said:

Btw, post your CPU specs please.

# Intel Pentium M Processor 740 (1.73GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB*)
# 15.4-inch WXGA display
# 1024MB of RAM (2 stick configuration)
# Intel integrated Media Accelerator 900 graphics card
# 60GB Hard Drive (5400RPM)
# Microsoft Windows XP Home
# Dell 1470 Internal Wireless 802.11a/b/g

Patrick Pineda said:

# Intel Pentium M Processor 740 (1.73GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB*)
# 15.4-inch WXGA display
# 1024MB of RAM (2 stick configuration)
# Intel integrated Media Accelerator 900 graphics card
# 60GB Hard Drive (5400RPM)
# Microsoft Windows XP Home
# Dell 1470 Internal Wireless 802.11a/b/g

Are intergrated video cards becoming a trend or something in this community or something? You're like the fourth person to have this..
For the most part, every single person with a intergrated video card is getting problems. Unfortuently, I don't have plans to support them.