Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
robo-ky

nightmare mods

are thair any mods out thair that add the effects of the nightmair skill level to doom withought actuly changing the skill level? for instince having all the monsters respawn and move extra fast but be able to play it on lower skill levels, i looked threw the combos section but dident realy see anything

Try -fast and -respawn while playing in lower skills, but the monsters behaviour isn't exactely the same (in skill 5 monsters shoot you at sight while -fast monsters are alerted before).

-fast -respawn as said above; and in addition if you use ZDoom you can define your own custom difficulty settings in a MAPINFO lump; so you could make an "I'm too young to die" with "Nightmare!" monster behavior.

Cutman's 10x mod multiplies the number of monsters by 10 in ZDoom compatible ports. It makes getting thru KDiTD a challenge. Even E1M1 is brutal.

hardcore_gamer said:

i wander if there is a mod that changes nightmare mode so that monsters are as tough as they are but DON'T respawn. That would be cool.

As I said, you can define a difficulty setting for ZDoom that does just that.

You can also have them respawning but a limited number of time. You can have them more aggressive as in nightmare, but not extra fast. You can choose by how much ammo is multiplied (in vanilla, ammo is doubled for skill 1 and skill 5). And so on. It's powerful.

hardcore_gamer said:

i wander if there is a mod that changes nightmare mode so that monsters are as tough as they are but DON'T respawn. That would be cool.

Then just use -fast without -respawn.

I imagine that someone here may need an explanation of how to use the command line, but I don't want to explain it. Somebody else do it.

If you want the precise NM behaviour without respawning (and -fast isn't close enough for your liking), then you can make a dehacked patch that makes it so none of the monsters count towards the kills total. Then they won't respawn when you play on Nightmare skill.

I think this is a pretty silly thing to do, and don't recommend it, but it would give you what you are asking for. Really, -fast is good enough.

im not to skilled in making my own mod files what program do you use to create them?

it's a command line perimeter when you launch it.

doom2.exe -fast -respawn

replace doom2.exe with the port of choice. you can also add these parameters in the ZDL launcher