Jekyll Grim Payne
FINAL version 4.7 can be downloaded here:
http://ashigaru-rostov.narod.ru/mods/Bdoom47.zip (indirect link)
THE FILE NAME HAS BEEN CHANGED
to Bdoom47.wad (previous versions were named Dbeaut**.wad with ** standing for version number)
Previous version 4.6 can be downloaded here:
I removed the full list of changes that was present in this post. You can read it in any txt that is included in any BD archive.
Version 4.7 improvements:
- Gibs and blood are improved, gibs behaviour is different, blood doesn't disappear,
- fixed blood coloring, now looks much better,
- Spider Mastermind now CAN hit you with sv_smartaim 3 (different code for her attack),
- improved the script that shows the warning on the screen when smartaim is < 3,
- Plasmagun sprites fixed (correct hand),
- 'secret found' sound changed to the one from Painkiller,
- added much better weapon smoke effects,
- added missing decals for enemy projectiles,
- fixed incorrect decals for Arahcnotron's plasmaballs,
- reduced BFGBall trail (it obscured the view too much),
- fixed Burning Barrel sprites.
And check out new Spider's and Cyber's deaths! ;D
Now this mod seems like something that I'm finally satisfied with.
I recommend latest GZDoom. Should work fine starting with GZDoom 1.1.04, but I HIGHLY recommend GZDoom 1.3.17 or 1.2.01 -- both are OK, thought 1.2.01 may have some bugs (as 4.7 went through certain adaptations to become compatible and not buggy in GZ 1.3.17).
You will need to use SV_SMARTAIM 3 (Smartaim - 'Only Monsters') in order to autoaim only at monsters. This way you won't be shooting at shootable decorations or gibs while monsters are present. Don't worry, there's a script in this mod that'll continuously show a message that will remind you about it.
To see full blood effects, try switching blood type to Sprites or Sprites and Particles. That's not necessary though.
This mod improves Doom as much as... as I could wish it. You might not like it, perhaps our views about enhancing Doom are different.
At first: all the objects are interactive. You can shoot the living impaled body, you can break the floor lamp, you can shoot off skull from the red column, you can shoot off heads from the stick with impaled heads, etc., etc., etc. Some objects, which are least interactive, are changed to be obstacles for bulelts, as well as projectiles, that means that you can hide behind brown tree, etc. The only objects not remade are that pile of skulls and candles and that little grey tree.
Many objects are visually enhanced. Lamps have lens flare, the torches, candles, candelabras have new fire effects, floating eye above the candle looks cooler, as well as floating skull rock. Also some powerups float in mid-air.
There are five special functions which let you change the presense of some effects anytime in the game:
"Blood toggle" (default T): toggles particle blood on and off, helps a lot when you're having slowdowns. Also removes all the blood drops present in the level.
"Advanced gibbing toggle" (default Y): if you don't like new gibbing, or your CPU is too slow, you can turn it off and get usual sprite gibbing animation back, as well as usual bosses' deaths. Also removes all the gibs present in the level.
"Weapon effects and debris toggle" (default U): lets you toggle on and off smoketrails for fireballs and rockets, ricochet flares, smoke effects and emtpy casins and explosive barrel or glass pieces. Also removes all the debris and empty casings present in the level.
"Enhanced fire effects toggle" (default I): this function turns on/off special animated halos around light sources. It affects torches, candles and similar light sources and also turns Arch-Vile's and Lost Souls' fire effects from particle ones to sprite ones and back.
"Global Timer Toggle" (default O): toggles a timer in the top right corner of the screen. Upper red numbers show total playtime, lower blue numbers show level playtime.
There're dynamic lights included. Also there're new 'warp' effects for liquid textures. In addition there're 'splashes' for any floor (thanks to Enjay) and footstep sounds, also unqiue for every floor texture (thanks to Enjay). Player is higher, so you're now as low, as you're in doom (even lower than any zombie, it's humiliating).
There's one change among powerups. I'm sick and tired of Doom so-called Invisibility, which mostly does only bad, as enemies start firing projectiles in unexpected directions. So, Partial Invisibility is replaced by Complete Invisibility. When you pick it up, you get completely invisible for 30 seconds, but the usage of any weapon reveals your for about 2 seconds, so this powerup is generally useless in combat but great in running away.
Medikits, stimpacks and powerups have unique pickup sounds, as well as ammo and most other items.
There's some fun gore added. Enemies spurt blood when hit or fall dead, the ones which can be gibbed are torn into many gibs (heads, hands and heads are unique for every zombie and imp), which also bleed. Blood vanishes in order to save performance, but gibs stay and they react on being shot again, so, especially when using rocket launcher or BFG, you can make gibs fly around again and again. You MUST use sv_smartaim 3 to play this mod with autoaim.
Many enemies have additional death animation. Mostly for these death animation there's more blood.
If you're annoyed by blood dripping sounds, comment the line
in SNDINFO lump.
Enemies which use firearms drop empty casings, have new attack sounds (the same as new sounds for your weapons).
As for weapons, they are also enhanced. They mostly look like original ones, but animation is much smoother (which I for some reason haven't seen in other enhancing mods). I changed most of the sounds and added some (for example weapon selecting sounds), many of them are from Doom 3, not all though. There're additional effects, like empty casings, smoke on the end of the barrel.
Also I changed doomguy's gloves to black. Sorry, never liked original brown ones.
There are some little changes in weapon physics. As follows:
1. Fist: now right-handed and not as useless as the original one; it's slightly faster and it's silent.
1. Chainsaw: now black and cool, is slightly more comfortable to use: it doesn't have an effect when you're drawn to the enemy which you're sawing (you know this effect in original Doom).
2. Pistol: usual, sprite slightly changed (side-viewed, like in Neodoom), casings, smooth animation and other stuff is present.
3. Shotgun: usual, except for effects, sounds and animation.
3. Supershotgun: has an alternative attack, which lets you fire from one barrel, then from the other; if you fire from one barrel and then press primary attack button, you reload one round and get ready to use dual shot; single shot has the same spread as dual and is more powerful than usual shotgun shot; sprite changes to indiacate the amount of rounds in barrels.
4: Chaingun: has two attacks: primary is absolutely usual, secondary is very fast and with large spread, but needs to spin at first and cool after.
5. Rocket Launcher: usual, except for effects, sounds and animation.
6. Plasmagun: almost usual, though some changes with sprites (I never liked the original one, it reminds me an accordion). Plasmaballs are now round and leave trails behind which looks cool.
7. BFG9000: BFGball is slightly improved and also leaves trails, like plasma, there are some effects.
Except for secondary attacks of SSG and Chaingun, weapons physics is absolutely original. Although there's also vertical spread for bullets, which is obviously because the mod is made for free-look.
There are other things, like improved and sometimes changed sprites and effects for monsters' projectiles, various other objects. Well, virtually everything's been remade.
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Dec 12 2009 at 09:05