Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

Atherius Project (Restarted)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I generally don't find sharp angles between two one-sided lines to be that attractive, but what the hell do I know rite

@Dutch Devil:Good Idea,No chaingunners though.I've always hated running into a wide open area where i get sniped to death

EDIT:The reason I only use stock is cause I don't have the proper knowledge to put in newer stuff.I'm really trying to find out how to put either a flashlight(either a regular Flashlight or a Flashlight as a secondary fire for every weapon)or a flare into the game.

@Fisk:Did you see something wrong that I didn't notice?

More screen's,about 90% done with the first area.

Archviles in cramped hallways FTW

Messing around in a Crypt

By the time I reloaded it was a little to late...one marine,extra crispy.

Just to let everyone know,this wad is for Plutonia.I switched over since Plutonia has more textures.

EDIT:Right now I have the Wad saved as Atherius.wad(Doom Format) and Zatherius.Wad(Hexen Format)I'm using Zatherius.wad to experiment with the ACS scripting to see if I can do all the things I'd like to do to this map.For one I might turn this into a Hub map.

I've changed Atherius over to Hexen Format.I've learned how to do a few things thanks to some guidance.

As you can tell I've learned how to do the whole fog thing.

Fighting with UAC Black Op's(Will change the Marine Sprite,and this is not included in the Demo)

Here's the Demo
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tgnsgl

EDIT:All this demo contains is the first Sector of the Map,I've just learned how to use ACS so be easy on me.If you see something that needs to be fixed let me know.Hopefully everyone likes it for the most part.

Note:Jump and Crouch are needed in this,Crouch will be extremely useful when going up against the Black Ops.
Also you will need skulltag to play this.

Looking great!!! Can't wait 'til it's finished. A word of suggestion though: i would drop that chaingun, because, well, i've seen in thousands of weapons mods, it's one of those weapons that have been over-used.

Well it's included with Skulltag and I was test running the wad.So I just happened to pull up that gun when I put in IDKFA.

Haloless0320 said:

Well it's included with Skulltag and I was test running the wad.So I just happened to pull up that gun when I put in IDKFA.

I never played Skulltag myself, don't know why, just never got around to it i guess. So Skulltag adds a Chaingun to the game or replaces the original one? Would be kinda silly to add a second chaingun.

Haloless0320 said:

Yep,It's a Mini-gun I believe.

You know, in actuality, chaingun is an alternate name for a mini-gun. Chaingun is more of a generic term that refers to any heavy machine gun of similar design and function as that of the mini-gun. Gatling gun is another one. Just being a wise-ass, don't take it seriously.

Nah,If I can get ridiculed by leilelol(Or whatever)everytime I turn around and take it I can take a few more blows lol.
Yeah Now that I think of it I've only seen the gun used by infantry on movies(Terminator 2 and Predator)...I guess because it's fucking heavy as hell.Maybe I was thinking of the Vulcan that boss was using on Metal Gear Solid instead of a minigun.
I think Gatling guns are tripod mounted though...wild west stuff.

EDIT:Has anyone even played the demo??Just wondering,I need feedback...desperately.

EDIT 2:@Ceejay,I didn't take offense to what you said...just so you know.Didn't really think you were being a wise ass either.Figured you were just giving me your thoughts on the wad.

CeeJay said:

You know, in actuality, chaingun is an alternate name for a mini-gun. Chaingun is more of a generic term that refers to any heavy machine gun of similar design and function as that of the mini-gun. Gatling gun is another one. Just being a wise-ass, don't take it seriously.

From one wise-ass to another - strictly speaking, a minigun is a small caliber (usually 7.62mm) motorised gatling gun. A chaingun is a single-barrel machinegun or automatic cannon with a motorised ammo feed system that makes the weapon effectively jam-proof. They have a lower rate rate of fire than miniguns. I suspect what Doomguy's been carrying around all these years is a Microgun.

The Microgun looks more like the minigun from skulltag.

Anyways,like I asked before...has anyone tested this wad out yet?

OK. I've had a play, and here are some thoughts.

1) Some really nice ideas there. I really liked the imps fading in and out of reality/visibility. It added to the challenge without being frustrating (at least not for me).

2)Sounds were generally pretty good. I liked the thunder sound. Very moody and atmospheric. The shotty replacement sound was kinda cool... it was "there" without being overly intrusive. The imp footsteps (padding around the floor) sounded great, as did the squishy death sounds of the former marines etc. The death sounds were very satisfying. The beeping of the revenant rockets was an interesting touch.

3)The shooting/blood trails were good I thought, though perhaps not necessary on every monster class. (IMO)

4)Level design felt a little lacking in completeness (obviously, coz its not finished or anything), but I mean that in the sense of seeming to lack a strong enough theme. (IMO also)

5)You could afford to put the aircraft at the start on some sort of landing pad, rather than have it merely glimpsed from the far side of a narrow doorway. Put it on display. You went to the trouble of making this cool little aircraft, now go show it off. A big outdoor start area would be cool and would be a contrast to the rest of the level which is mostly indoors and often in smaller areas. I noticed this a lot, but there were a number of times it felt like you had really good ideas, but then they weren't kind of noticeable or visible as they should have been. Perhaps work to make sure that when you have visually interesting things in your level, then make sure that they are obvious, and can be worked into the overall "theme" (without detracting from the gameplay, obviously).

6) The partially open door behind the bar near the start wouldn't be able to swing closed, but would hit the bar. Its just a little thing, but it is noticeable that this door, which would have been opened at some point, couldn't be opened or shut where it is now.

7)Giving the Barons green blood and the Cacodemons blue blood was a really nice touch.

Haven't quite finished it, will do that tomorrow.

I don't know if this list will help you, but these were the things that struck me anyway, so here they are, for your consideration.

There is a lot of really good material there. Keep it up.

Well I'll give everyone an Update
-Doomenh.wad has been removed do to conflicts with the Decorate file.
(I'll add it back once I figure out what's conflicting)
-Nash's Gore Mod has been added
-Various Baddies from Tormentor 667's Bestiary have been added.

@Kyka:Thanks for the input.I didn't really think about displaying the starfighter out in the open but I will play around with with it and see what I can come up with.
I did the map and that's all,the blood effects and lens flares were taken from the Doom Enhanced wad.Though I do have to say that I'm quite proud of myself when It comes to this.I thought it would take forever to learn how to implement Decorate monsters but after some trial and error I figured it out for the most part.

New Screenshots,check them out(Or don't)

The Titlepic

I know,It looks like a damn Schoolbus. If anyone has an Idea for a better way to design this thing then Speak up.

That titlepic looks awesome!!! Did you make it yourself?

I haven't had time to properly play the demo, yet. See, i am not at home at the moment. But screenshots look alright. What type of theme are going for? Hi-tech? Hellish?

Props.

It looks like you're starting to learn what it's going to take to set your map apart from others. I like the two new monsters you've shown us, especially the the armored humanoid knight-looking thing. I don't think I've ever seen that before...

Anyways, keep going with the project. You're starting to get me interested.

@Ceejay:Ha,I wish.I just went to google and typed in chaos.It brought up the title pic(which is from Warhammer) so I decided to go with it.I have to remind you though.The Demo is very different from what you see in the screenshots.As for the Environs here's what I've got so far...
High Tech
Techno Organic
Dark Ages

@Earthquake:I pulled those guy's off of Bilbo Hicks Scoredoom and I think he took it from Tormentors Bestiary.The Why Baron looking thing is a Cybruiser and the big Cyborg demon is called a terminator.

I'm hoping that using the blood zombie doesn't break the feel of the wad.I couldn't find any other zombies to use and I can't get ahold of the quake zombie that thanatos used for AEOD.

Don't worry about the Title of the thread, I suffered a minor setback when editing Atherius with XWE. I loaded up some new textures and tested the wad out and suddenly all of the textures were changing around like crazy (ex. AAShitty would change to SHAWN2) So I had to go back and delete all the new textures and the texture file itself and then load all of the new textures up (Thanks to Slumped) But I'm at the tail end of the map...I'm finishing up two more area's and then I start on Sector 2 (Residential Area,Labs,etc)

Ok I finished up the first level the other night and I checked for errors and good lord of the abyss...there was a list of errors that just made me vomit.
Needless to say I deleted the map and I restarted.I decided to divide the map into sections instead of one insanely huge map.I know it took at least a minute to load up...and even longer to save.
But on the up side the new level looks a hell of alot better than the old.
Changes
-You no longer start out at the spaceport...your ship crashed and you have to make your way to the Atherius base.The first level is set inside an abandonded forward base.
-Playable with GZDoom,It aggravated me that I could never get Skyboxes and Mirror linedefs to work right on skulltag
-No more Errors...no unclosed sectors...nothing!I ran an error check after I created each sector.
-I'm getting the hang of ACS...deepwater...yaddah yaddah yaddah

I'll throw some screenies up tomorrow.