Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

I need someone to see if they have my..

I'm really going to regret asking this, but due to a system format a few months ago I lost all of my old stuff I created back around the SR days. I'm trying to find my Uac Base 51 wad on the net but everywhere I uploaded it has deleted it. Anybody happen to still have it lying around?

Why would you regret it?

It doesn't ring a bell, i'm sorry. It is a problem that WADs get lost in the passing of time, I know there is a few WADs i remember back in the day that just can't be found. Hopefully someone here in the forums might have it.

CeeJay said:

Why would you regret it?

It was one of my first maps when I was very inexperienced and also pretty young(13 I believe). It contained cramped areas, crates on ceilings with absolutely nothing holding them up there, abusive use of the lite3 and liteblu textures and overall just a HORRIBLE map. I wanted to go back and get the theme of it and remake it from scratch it again.

It must be Google Crom's punishment for having offered Doom warez to that guy in its WIP thread.

Bloodskull said:

It was one of my first maps when I was very inexperienced and also pretty young(13 I believe). It contained cramped areas, crates on ceilings with absolutely nothing holding them up there, abusive use of the lite3 and liteblu textures and overall just a HORRIBLE map. I wanted to go back and get the theme of it and remake it from scratch it again.

Look, dude, i think we all been there, there is nothing to be ashammed of, nobody expects a great map from a young newbie. All we can do is learn and get better. Nomatter how horrible you may think it is, it does hold historical value, if nothing else for yourself. Like you said, it was your first level (or one of your first). Nobody expects it to be great. I'm actually growing more and more curious about it.

kristus said:

This thread should stand as a testament to why you should always upload your shit to /idgames

True. But if i am not mistaking, quite a few things have come and gone in the idgames archives too. Do not forget the sher size of the thing. I have also noticed that there is a diffrence between the diffrent /idgames, some are missing some files while other have it. The best bet is to upload your stuff to as many places as you can and make atleast one private backup of it.

What I do is just make backups of my whole harddrive like every week or something in addition to several smaller daily backups. This way, when the unforeseen cataclysmic computer crash or whatever comes your way, you've only lost in the worst case scenario a week of work, but you'd have all your private archives safe and sound. Sorry, Bloodskull, I know this doesn't help you at this point, but it's an idea for the future. I couldn't find your map on my drive, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

CeeJay said:

But if i am not mistaking, quite a few things have come and gone in the idgames archives too.

You are mistaken.*

I imagine you are getting confused between mirrors and the primary archive. Mirrors do indeed come and go (or stop getting updated), and the primary has needed to move very occasionally. But once a file is in the archive, it stays there (unless removed deliberately). Besides, a number of people maintain a local copy of the archive, so nothing placed there will be lost forever, even if something catastrophic happens to the archive and this catastrophe somehow propagates through all the mirrors.

And no, I don't have this wad. I have some Tale of Doom maps though, in case you want to finish that at some point.

---------------
<small>* Unless you are referring to the move from cdrom.com back in the 1990s (which was closed suddenly and without much warning, meaning there were some glitches with resurrecting the archive elsewhere). But you're not, I am sure. I mention this just because someone will nitpick otherwise.</small>

Grazza, I forgot to thank you a while ago for searching through your collection for some of my wads. Unfortunately, the ones you sent me were more recent versions that I had copies of. But thanks nonetheless.

kristus said:

This thread should stand as a testament to why you should always upload your shit to /idgames

Dont we already have too MUCH shit in /idgames?

Grazza said:

And no, I don't have this wad. I have some Tale of Doom maps though, in case you want to finish that at some point.

If Grazza doesn't have it... it's fucking gone.

Maybe you could attempt to remake it from memory, or if you still have some drawings, screens, demos of that map you could use that as an guide.

Sucks though.

Steeveeo said:

Dont we already have too MUCH shit in /idgames?

Yes, there's a lot of shit in there. By my opinion a lot of very popular wads are shit as well. So who decides what is shit?

"Shit" is an arbitrary, opiniated judgement. The archive would be empty like DK's Banana Horde at the beginning of DK County if a WAD could be removed from the archive if at least one person judged it as shit. I think it's best just to have as much stuff as possible in it. It's not like it's that hard to search the archive, or that a person is obligated to download everything that is put into it.

Grazza said:

No thats quite alright! All the first map was was a few square rooms with compblue textures all over. Then the second one was filled with bugs and hom errors.

Death-Destiny said:

"Shit" is an arbitrary, opiniated judgement. The archive would be empty like DK's Banana Horde at the beginning of DK County if a WAD could be removed from the archive if at least one person judged it as shit. I think it's best just to have as much stuff as possible in it. It's not like it's that hard to search the archive, or that a person is obligated to download everything that is put into it.

Best simile ever.