Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane_Gazebo

Help me find more slaughter maps!

Ever since coming across AV.wad quite some time ago, I've become addicted to maps that focus on heavy combat, and high difficulty - sometimes referred to as 'slaughter maps' or 'HR difficulty' maps. I'm sure you know the ones.

I even attempted to make my own maps, and this ended in disaster.

Now, I'm fairly sure I've played almost all of the harder maps out there, though I wouldn't be surprised if I've missed a few. (In fact, I'm hoping I have.)

Here's a list of wad's I currently have:
av
cybersky
disturbiav4
dv
dvII-1u
eaxt
holyhell
hr
hr2final
ksutra
scythe2
smedley
thespire

Now, are there any wads you lot can think of that aren't on this list? I haven't listed every single wad I've got here - just the HR themed ones, so I might have missed one or two.

So help me enter a Doomer's bliss - so I might bathe once again amongst obscene amounts of demonic sprites!

P.S.
Yes, GGGMork, I've played your maps, and they're awesome :)

A couple of Casali classics spring immediately to mind:
punishr
seej

And for sheer monster-count:
1coopwad

Another classic of the genre:
squadron (note: only a few of the maps are genuinely coop-only; some aren't slaughter-style either)

The last couple of maps in...
oneweek

A popular one:
1squares

An early contest wad:
h2hmudfe

Not really slaughter maps, but definitely "crowded" and violent:
intent
kill_z10
killzon2
pe4_dt2
slayer (very highly recommeded - also crusades by the same author, perhaps to a lesser degree)
equinox
rigel1
rw
henry (map04)
nilla

Kinda crude design but might appeal:
various incarnations of dminator
dem (mostly the later maps)

(In most cases, a simple search in the archive for the name given will locate the wad; otherwise I have given a link.)

Thanks Khorus! I had no idea Spire had a sequel. It was a bit open, given the enemy count, but a great deal of fun was had.

Grazza - you're awesome. Out of all of the maps you listed, I'd only tried one of them. I haven't had a chance to go through them yet, but I imagine your list will keep me busy for a while.

Have you played Aeternum yet? Map02 has like 800 enemies and all three in the set are pretty much slaughter map material. This levelset was very well-done, so I'm not sure why it isn't more popular. I see you played eaxt.WAD already. I was going to suggest that one to you. I wish Erik Alm would have made a megaWAD out of it, but seeing the reponse it got probably deterred him from doing so, despite it being very well-done. :( Also, TimeOfDeath made a map, Squane, with like 1600 demons that can be killed in about 8 minutes, a genuine slaughter.

Slaughter maps tend to be a fairly uncommon genre since they're not really that popular, but they're around if you want to find them.
I like slaughter maps, though. =)

One important source of endless slaughtermaps is obhack (random level generator based on oblige):
http://www.samiam.org/slump/
I still have v 003e, so maybe try that one first, then make a map with these exact settings:
doom2, limit removing, full game (because the harder maps tend to be at the end of the megawad), single player
left column: huge, swarms, some, more
right column: steep, less, less, basic
(at least that's what I've found to quite often be perfect extremely difficult gameplay, despite no cybers or masterminds).

Then the most skilled players tend to make the hardest maps so I definitely recommend all death destiny's maps:
http://www.doomuniverse.net/DDProjects.html
plus another not shown on his page: dr2008v2.wad (map 10 & 11)

and all time of death's maps (but he's a rocket jump expert so you probably need to be used to a jump key):
squane, smedley, drown in blood (this one is intended with 'infinite ammo' setting)

chord3 (map 27), chordg (map 29), maybe other chords but I only have those.

tde.wad (lutz very hard remix of doom2 map 29)

bella.wad (weird enemies and fun/hard)

chris01.wad

hocX.wad (heretic, but doom2 gameplay is much better than heretic imo)

phocas.wad (gameplay was too tedious for me though, plus required an early version of zdoom)

zendyn_x.wad was pretty hard and had new enemies.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/44079-very-hard-nonlinear-chaotic-map/ is my newest map but had gameplay flaws, sendspace link will just expire soonish. I have more but they're similar copy/paste cheeses, let me know if you want them.

I remember playing your maps and they were quite unique fun and intersting, far from a disaster. I was over critical with bug testing. (wasn't it macabrev3? That was some of my favorite stuff actually, like map 3 was very creative. But now I try not to use zdoom.)

I did a search on this forum for such maps before, and many of the suggestions were quite old maps (punisher for example) and not as fun or hard as more modern ones imo.

The recent GESTAPO is by far the best IMO. The thread got helled and the link was removed. I still have the wad if you'd like me to send it to you. (If im allowed to)

Had a good chance to go through Gazza's suggestions. Most of them were a little old, and not as challenging as I would have liked, but I had some fun regardless.

Generator of Evil was great fun, and exactly what I was looking for :) - thanks justanotherfool.

Aeternum was quite good, and I was surprised I hadn't heard of it. Squane was okay, but nothing fancy. Thanks Death-Destiny :)

And, GGGMork - some nice suggestions in there, ta.
And no, you were never too harsh in regards to my maps - quite the opposite, you were really helpful. I just needed to re-tune some of my maps to the point where it would almost have been better to scrap some of the maps entirely. I also managed to break some texture/flat information in my .wad file, which caused all sorts of problems. (And I couldn't figure out how to fix it.)

And JohnnyRancid - this GESTAPO map does sound interesting. If you have a copy, I'd love to give it a shot. (Though, as to the reason the thread went to hell, I think I can guess...)

THE GESTAPO THREAD GOT HELLED BECAUSE THE THREAD STARTER CONSISTANTLY YELLED EVERYTHING HE HAD TO SAY MUCH LIKE THIS DESPITE CONSTANT WARNINGS FROM THE MODERATORS TO STOP DOING SO.

Also, the author of the said map was banned for bringing out his Doom2 warez. Finally, I'm not sure how he went about constructing Gestapo, but I heard there was an element of plagerism involved (which wouldn't surprise me with him having modified copies of Doom2), though regardless of its origins, I agree that it's a very nice map regardless.

Death-Destiny said:

THE GESTAPO THREAD GOT HELLED BECAUSE THE THREAD STARTER CONSISTANTLY YELLED EVERYTHING HE HAD TO SAY MUCH LIKE THIS DESPITE CONSTANT WARNINGS FROM THE MODERATORS TO STOP DOING SO.

Also, the author of the said map was banned for bringing out his Doom2 warez. Finally, I'm not sure how he went about constructing Gestapo, but I heard there was an element of plagerism involved (which wouldn't surprise me with him having modified copies of Doom2), though regardless of its origins, I agree that it's a very nice map regardless.

Sad to hear. Not quite as sad as hearing of the author eaxt not wanting to continue, though. eaxt.wad has become one of my favorites :(
Trying to beat that was a great deal of fun - and proved to be a pretty big inspiration when I attempted to make my own maps. Hell, I wish someone would make maps just as hard as that - I'm beginning to find even regular slaughter maps a little easy now.

Still, after doing a good search for the map (Gestapo), I'm not surprised to see that it's completely gone. I guess the author was just as angry as his caps-lock key made him look :(

Just ask Death-Destiny and he will make you a slaughtermap. Check out his site and he has some pretty fun maps with some decently challenging parts.