Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deeforce

"Rivers Of Death" (completed) - new graphics, new fight :-P

Hi there,
I released a playtest version of my new map “Rivers Of Death“. It includes graphics from Phocas Island 2 and Zaero: Episode 1 (I like these wads :-P). Difficulty settings implemented.
Here are three pictures of it:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Download Link

So, what do you think about this level? What could be better, what do you like, what do you don’t like?

I hope to get some feedback...

EDIT:
The map is now ready. The finished work you can get under the link above. Thx for your help.

The first thing that came out of my mouth when I saw the first Screenshot was "Holy Shit" I really hope thats later on in the level lol.
I'll download it and play it tonight though,It looks pretty good.

Not bad at all. That was a lot of fun. I ought to page the Insane Gazebo to play this since he's felt like obliterating monster hordes for the last week...

Anyway, I've only got a few suggestions. Aestheitcally speaking, it doesn't appear as though you've adjusted the alignments of many textures. While the textures you chose look fine as they are, you might want to look into aligning some of them to see if they look better.

Also, I noticed some of the demons in the main area with the rivers in it were overlapping with the monster blocking lines, so they just struggled helplessly to move somewhere else (not that the Cybs wouldn't blow them apart anyway.) Also, I think some of the Arachnotrons had other enemies overlapping with them, immobilizing both.

Finally, the red key was kinda hard to find amongst all the similarly colored carnage in the main area (I found it with IDDT). Maybe put it on a pedestal or something so it's easier to see.

Also, you Zdoomer, you realize that Boom renders the title screen like so. Zdoom rescales the graphics, but they have to be 320x200 for many other engines. Presumably, since your map is in Boom format, you want it to look good in Boom:

Anyways, good job. That was a fun map! Just a few things to take a look at. The secret was funny. Of all the things to help me take out droves of demons, I get a... (suspense, see for yourself ;-] )

You can pretty much waltz through the center of the main mostly harmless horde and everything will die from infighting. A better start might be to replace shotgun with the berzerk and instead of a rising platform have a lowering one (as is, you can immediately get the berzerk and hang out down there in safety, not that the imps are threatening anyway). The place with 2 side platforms w/ imps on top was kinda weird because one side was redundant (only 1 had a switch). Kinda fun but short and relatively easy imo.

Hey,
I uploaded an updated playtest version (same link).

Haloless0320 said:

It looks pretty good.

Juhu, I hope so :-P!

Death-Destiny said:

[...] demons in the main area with the rivers in it were overlapping [...] some of the Arachnotrons had other enemies overlapping with them, immobilizing both.

I did. Hopefully I got them all in the right prosition now. It’s very easy to oversee an enemy that is stuck :-/.

Death-Destiny said:

Finally, the red key was kinda hard to find amongst all the similarly colored carnage in the main area (I found it with IDDT). Maybe put it on a pedestal or something so it's easier to see.

Yeah, I created a pedestal. Hopefully noone needs to cheat now :-P!

Death-Destiny said:

Also, you Zdoomer, you realize that Boom renders the title screen like so. Zdoom rescales the graphics, but they have to be 320x200 for many other engines. Presumably, since your map is in Boom format, you want it to look good in Boom

No, because I don’t want to have a pixeled version of my picture in ZDoom... That’s the only way to create a high quality picture and I think it is enough to play the wad in ZDoom, GZDoom or Skulltag :-P ! I want that high quality pic :-P !

Death-Destiny said:

Anyways, good job. That was a fun map! Just a few things to take a look at.

Thank you, this feedback was very helpfull to me!

CeeJay said:

Have we got another NUTS.WAD here?

I hate nuts.

gggmork said:

You can pretty much waltz through the center of the main mostly harmless horde and everything will die from infighting. [...] Kinda fun but short and relatively easy imo.

Right, but I did not want to include many big monsters like barons of hell, because you fight with them in so many wads so long that I think it became boring to fight with them for a long time. If you think it’s too easy, maybe then you want to try out “nightmare“... I have to test this skill, but I don’t know whether it’s possible.

EDIT:
It is possible to finish it in nightmare mode. I did it in 6:50 :-P !