Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Chopkinsca

Phocas Island 2.5 needs an artist (updated)

I'm looking for someone who can do up 12 or so images to go along with each ending. Some examples of your artwork would be nice. Hopefully someone is out there that will help.

What needs to be in each image is already decided, so that isn't part of the job. Color would be preferable. There is a maximum of 13 images, though one of them is optional. These will be displayed for each of PHocas 2.5's twelve endings as a full-screen picture.

Also, to those that don't visit the ZDoom forums:

Some of the new features:

-Ambient sounds (birds, flames, dripping, wind in caves)
-New sound for "chaingun"
-new graphic for the rifle
-two new bosses with their own unique area
-more detailing mainly in the main temple
-more trees in some bare patchs
-bug fixes (mainly with the falling rock)
-4 new easter eggs (2 are devoted to people who inspired me in making this project)
-Dynamic lights on fireballs
-All fireballs leave a trail
-splashes (no more silent water)
-Simplified some jumping 'puzzles' (I hate them)
-minor tweaks to monster behaviour and stats
-code to unlock "Classic doom 2 mode". Awaiting monster placement.Code will be obtained by finishing puzzle mode on any skill and either ending.
-"find all the souls". Scattered around the maps are dead bodies; use the death artifact to free the souls. If you free enough you get a better ending.
-Changed dead bodies to strife's player corpse. It stands out much better than a mostly brown body on a mostly brown ground.
-reverb added to some areas.
-more wildlife: seagulls, fish, jellyfish, rats, snakes, butterflies
-bullet ricochet with sparks
-revamped forest
http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newerforestku2.jpg
(This is before I changed and added a few things. It looks a lot better than in the screenshot.

Creaphis said:

Find some people who are known to be good illustrators and just hound them. Never let up.

Umm... who is a good illustrator around here? I certainly don't, and I don't know if Chop would have any better idea.

Captain Ventris said:

Umm... who is a good illustrator around here? I certainly don't, and I don't know if Chop would have any better idea.

Only person I can think of is Scuba Steve. Other than that, I don't know.

Edit: Skadoomer has some good artwork too. I doubt either would help as they are probably busy with their own things.

Well... there's little more than a handful of graphical styles represented in this community, unfortunately. I don't know anyone here who could make new art that would match the style of Doom's original ending screens, which I imagine is the ideal. The artists who could make simpler or more stylized images are all cooped up in their own projects already. And there are a few more people who dabble in textures and spriting but I guess that isn't what we're looking for here.

With all that said, Scuba Steve comes immediately to mind for his incredible work in Urban Brawl. Eriance is a prolific anime artist and is also great at making Doom monster sprites. Bank has a cool style that may be adaptable to your needs. Peoplethought recently turned up here with impressive Giger-esque images but it remains to be seen if he can draw something three-dimensional. MmM and Leileilol couldn't possibly model as well as they do without the ability to put something on a flat sheet of paper. You could try to haul B.P.R.D. out of retirement, as he may still have some interest in the graphical side of modding. And, you could trawl through the Fan Pics forum and see if anything strikes your fancy.

We aren't looking for the style of the original doom ending, just a general picture.

It could be pretty difficult getting Scuba to jump up out of nowhere and whip up 13 drawings, having a life and all.

I'm not convinced Eriance would do it without being payed (lol), but it could be worth asking.

I don't personally know Bank, and I have not scene Peoplethought make an actual scene, just individual entities, but it's worth asking him, too.

Again, I don't know MmM, and I doubt Leileilol would help, having their time eaten up by other things.

And, yet again, I don't really know B.P.R.D. Can't you tell I'm not a DW regular?

Your concerns are exactly the ones I alluded to, and the chances of finding help do seem grim. But, I decided to make a short, non-comprehensive list of names instead of saying, "Just give up." I like to pretend that it's possible to enlist complex creative labour even though it might not be.

B.P.R.D. used to post here under the name Foofoo, I think. His wads, like Equinox.wad, show some graphical aptitude, which makes me think he could handle drawing humans and scenes, but getting in contact with him and enlisting help is again very unlikely.

Found Bank's gallery:
http://bankart.deviantart.com/gallery/

I could give it a go, I'm a pretty reasonable artist (not trying to sound too far up my own arse), but when ever I draw an organic object it looks slightly cartoony, but I hope that would actually help fit in with the rest of doom, private message me a coupe of descriptions pictures you need and I will give it my best shot. Unfortunatly, I doubt I will be able to do very many particuarly quickly as I have college coursework and my own WAD taking up my time, but I'm sure I could find time for atleast a couple which will hopefully be to your liking.

Well, if you can't find anyone, I can go for another run at it. Though I might change the style a bit from my previous stuff. Since that's not very fun to draw.

PhilibusMo said:

I could give it a go, I'm a pretty reasonable artist (not trying to sound too far up my own arse), but when ever I draw an organic object it looks slightly cartoony, but I hope that would actually help fit in with the rest of doom, private message me a coupe of descriptions pictures you need and I will give it my best shot. Unfortunatly, I doubt I will be able to do very many particuarly quickly as I have college coursework and my own WAD taking up my time, but I'm sure I could find time for atleast a couple which will hopefully be to your liking.

Again, it doesn't need to be Doom-styled, just artwork. Remember, there are 13 images that need to take up the whole screen and still look good. It's a commitment.

kristus said:

Well, if you can't find anyone, I can go for another run at it. Though I might change the style a bit from my previous stuff. Since that's not very fun to draw.

Well, you have the descriptions if you didn't delete the message, so take another crack at it if you'd like.

Well send me the descriptions of the pictures and I will decide whether my style would suit them. If I could work with another Doomer and perhaps produce 6 each then I wuld be likely to be finished allot sooner than if I had to do them all myself a I do have time, just probably not enough to keep up with your release scedule.

PhilibusMo said:

Well send me the descriptions of the pictures and I will decide whether my style would suit them. If I could work with another Doomer and perhaps produce 6 each then I wuld be likely to be finished allot sooner than if I had to do them all myself a I do have time, just probably not enough to keep up with your release scedule.

Luckily, our release schedule is... well, we don't have one. Alright, descriptions incoming!

Captain Ventris said:

Well, you have the descriptions if you didn't delete the message, so take another crack at it if you'd like.

Your excitement is overwelming. :o Seriously though... I'm away for some days and if id'd chance the style, I'd have to remake the first image I showed you. And normally I would charge for this kind of work... (don't want anyone to get the idea that I am any kind of nice guy)

I might add, the direct reason for me to not getting all on it was that I didn't get crazy excited about drawing the different scenarios. Not meaning to degrade them. But... they didn't excite me from the compositional perspective.

And the reason I relinquished my Skeletorial grip on the art for the endings was that I thought a project like Phuckaz izlandoz was gonna have tons of noobish artists in line for doing whatever the bidding may be. So, I expcted it to be done by now. But apparently it was just one and he didn't even come through to produce more than I did.

As far as the ending images go, I'm leaving them in the hands of Captain Ventris as I suck at PR.

Anyway, a small update: Despite WoTLK just being released, I've felt like working on my island more. I finished (hopefully) the memory system. Now, what's left? Redone journals and the script to determine what ending you got. That, and the drawings for each ending. I might be able to get a beta out by next week (hopefully).

A spoiler(ish) of the memory system:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, ive been pretty busy so havn't had time to try out any of the pictures yet, but i have done a couple of doodles to try and get proportions right. Is there anything special or any defining features of the main character, are there any particular features to the island and anything else I should know? you can pm this to me if you don't want to spoil it for others.

PhilibusMo said:

Is there anything special or any defining features of the main character, are there any particular features to the island and anything else I should know? you can pm this to me if you don't want to spoil it for others.

The only thing I can think of is that the player looks like a peasant from strife. If you don't know what that looks like, look inside phocas2 and search for the PLAY** sprites.