Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joe Capricorn

Most monsters in a playable map?

What is the most monsters in a playable map?

As in, what is the highest number of monsters reached for a map that can play on a standard machine with capabilities to run Doom 3?

I know of Holy Hell, which is at 20,000... and Nuts3, which is at 13,000

Holy Hell is probably playable depending on the machine.

The reason why I'm posting this is I may have figured out a way using tricks of GZDoom and scripting to end up with a final monster count of over 100,000 in one level. I'll be testing something like this later on, and I might even release a level

Joe Capricorn said:

tricks of GZDoom and scripting to end up with a final monster count of over 100,000 in one level

3d acceleration does not help mass AI calculation

See how many you can kill in 1 minute: howmany.wad

You can kill over 100000 in that. I don't know if there's some kind of limit on the monster counter, but if not, you can have infinite monsters on a crap computer if you keep using Thing_Remove to remove corpses.

leileilol said:

3d acceleration does not help mass AI calculation

True, but in this case I suspect he is referring more to the scripting aspect of GZdoom. In which case, I think he might be meaning monster spawning to bump monster count.

I experimented with dormant monsters and was able to have a smoothly running map with 60,000 monsters in another room.

Of course my rig can also run Crysis on Very High, so that doesn't speak about its performance on most computers. That's where my laptop and old PC comes in, they will be used to test.

esselfortium said:

Probably all of them.

Get back in the knife drawer. You're just too sharp to be left out. ;)

I tested a script that allowed me to "play" a map with 28,000 monsters.

Most were variants on imps, many of them probably slowed my computer down even more - especially the Lesser Mutants that left behind body parts that weren't removed by the script, and the Catharsis that left behind an exploding bomb...

Other than the last bit slowing my computer down to a crawl... it was playable.

I doubt I'll use that many monsters. Maybe over 9000, but not 28,000 or 100,000...

Reverents slow it down the most (if there's lots of space for lots of simultaneous homing missiles to take long paths), I assume because the homing behavior takes more computation, plus the missiles don't necessarily hit something to get removed.

I think Map 05 of Holy Hell takes the cake since there's so many monsters that makes the game just unplayable due to heavy amounts of lagging till the point it's going to freeze/lock up the game (although this may be only a problem within ZDoom but I dare you to type "Kill Monsters" on the console in Map 05 which will ultimately freeze the game...well especially playing mods like AEoD or any gore mod).