Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

I'll hate you if this is just a random tease with nothing else coming anytime soon!

No really, I will. :)

You're still part of it. :)

But seriously, it's about time for some progress update. Hopefully that's coming? Yes? No?

Thoroughly enjoyed the first Deus Vult, and haven't got around to DVII yet, but I too am one of probably many who are eagerly anticipating and updated version.

So... How many linedefs does that contain by the time you took that screenshot?

Not sure how linedef number gonna change anything when you have one color basically o,o. In some sense even the starting view of Doom 2 map01 has more things to look at I think. Not sure if this post has any reason to exist since it's just a matter of taste and Huy obviously knows what he's doing so kinda pointless to talk about it maybe. For some reason seeing many praise posts always makes me want to bitch about something xd.

Linedef count isn't too bad once I zoom up close.

Doom Builder 2 doesn't have a linedef counter. Most of the lines are used for lighting sector. My general guideline for Doom mapping is to keep the design clean. Generally, details that are small will show up really shitty and cluttery on the Doom engine from my experience.

Doom Marine said:

Doom Builder 2 doesn't have a linedef counter.

There is a statistics plugin for this purpose though.

I'm loving all of the beautiful curves and architecture! Your hell maps are truly fantastic to look at :)

I know a lot of people will disagree but to me this is shaping up to be the best Hell episode in any Megawad (yes, one of the reasons is that it's red and burning all around, I love that). Also, I believe I recognize the pentagram place on the left of the second shot from an earlier screenshot, posted a long time ago.

I wonder how far along DVII is right now.

^ And how exactly do you happen to know? You haven't even played it.

j4rio said:

^ And how exactly do you happen to know? You haven't even played it.

Touchdown said:
shaping up to be

Doom Marine said:

Got that working. DVII-24 is about 9000 linedefs.

It's over nine thousaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand!!

To be honest, I don't know what was your question refering to either. What exactly are you asking about?

How do you know that it's shaping up to be the best hell episode ever from a bunch of pictures?

"best Hell episode in any Megawad" would seemingly have entertaining gameplay in addition to the awesome visuals showcased thus far, something you'd have to play for yourself to determine (unless you have faith in Huy to deliver A+ content on that front as well, which isn't unreasonable).

EDIT: urhm, j4 beat me to it.

j4rio said:

How do you know that it's shaping up to be the best hell episode ever from a bunch of pictures?

Because to some poeple, a Doom wad is just a bunch of screenshots, and not something to be played.

A couple of reasons. First of all, I love the red and fiery version of Hell that a lot of mappers get away from. And I know Huy does not intend to make a green level in his Hell so that works for me. Another reason is that I dig the visuals and architecture. Finally, I did play Deus Vult I and II: First Edition and I like them so I do have confidence that gameplay will be good. If I like visuals and gameplay and there's gonna be a full episode dedicated to Hell, that shapes up to be a great Hell episode for me.

Touchdown said:

I love the red and fiery version of Hell that a lot of mappers get away from

Have you played Doom at all in the last 20 years? That version of hell not only dominates PWAD hell but almost every single PWAD ends in hell as well. What's next? "Man I really love E1 techbases which a lot of mappers get away from"?

j4rio said:

I missed your point.

He's not saying he professes to know. He's saying it's shaping up to be the best Hell episode ever, as in it might well be. He's entitled to his opinion, and honestly I'd rather he say that about a WAD deserving of that honor like Deus Vult Goddamn II. Surely you agree that the shots of the maps look superb - so what if he chooses to use the superlative adjective "best". I think I agree with him, in fact.

Tarnsman said:

Have you played Doom at all in the last 20 years? That version of hell not only dominates PWAD hell but almost every single PWAD ends in hell as well. What's next? "Man I really love E1 techbases which a lot of mappers get away from"?

Except most of the time the theme is broken by maps that have nothing to do with that type of Hell. Out of 24 Megawads I've finished, I haven't seen one Hell episode that would stick to that all the way through (Scythe was close but it ended in snow). Now you'll tell me that it's boring to have all red Hell maps and you're entitled to that opinion. All I'm saying is that if there's gonna be a Hell episode that's right up my alley in most regards, it'll be DVII-2. Really that's just my opinion, not a calibrated analysis of something, don't read too much into it.

So you want an entire E3 that's nothing but the same level? Not even Plutonia or BTSX E1 is that samey.

Well, DV1 had three all red levels and I definitively wouldn't call that section boring or "three same levels". Then again, I also had no problem with distinguishing levels in DOOM 3 and a lot of people say it's the same corridors everywhere. So yeah, as long as those ten levels are diverse with their architecture/gameplay, I'm fine with the single theme (a note: I'm talking strickly about Hell, with non-Hell episodes I'm willing to accept all kinds of diverse themes as long as they make sense as a continuous journey).

Jimmy said:

He's not saying he professes to know. He's saying it's shaping up to be the best Hell episode ever, as in it might well be. He's entitled to his opinion, and honestly I'd rather he say that about a WAD deserving of that honor like Deus Vult Goddamn II. Surely you agree that the shots of the maps look superb - so what if he chooses to use the superlative adjective "best". I think I agree with him, in fact.

Very well, I'll rephrase it for you:

How can you even form an opinion about overall map quality based on a bunch of pictures?