Final Release:After two years of hard work by a team of 22 people, the 1994 Tune-up Challenge is finally finished! I have to give massive kudos to everyone that worked on this, especially traversd. If it wasn't for you and your dedicated testing, this project would have never taken off the ground. :D
The project will be uploaded to /idgames tomorrow.
Everybody knows that most maps from 1994 are pretty terrible, but what if we took maps from the archive that permit modification and then redetailed them?
The purpose of this community wad is to improve on maps from 1994. Most maps from that time had strong layouts, but poor design decisions such as misaligned textures, bad texture choices, hidden doors and mandatory secrets to progress. The aim of this project is to fix those problems and take what was already strong about the original maps and improve it.
- All maps for this project must have permission for modification from the original author.
- Participants may modify a map in any way they see fit. However, the ultimate goal of this project is to work with a strong layout and tune it up to modern standards. Use your common sense: moving a vertex or line so you can better align a texture is okay, but making the map unrecognizable is not. Work with what you have.
- New areas may be added so long as they don't exceed the maps original size. In other words, don't take a small map and bolt on something the size of Deus Volt.
- Custom music may be chosen for your map, so long as it is a midi.
- A custom sky may also be chosen, so long as it is the same size as the original skies.
- You may name your map whatever you like.
- Textures are limited to the Ultimate Doom and Doom 2's texture set.
- The feature set is Boom and Limit Removing. A plain vanilla map or a Boom map are fine. Again, use your common sense.
- This will be for Doom 2. If this project receives more than 32 maps, they will be placed in a separate wad.
- Before working on your map, post what map you will be modifying. A link to your map's /idgames page is best, but a link to an outside page or file hosting service with your map is also fine. Please include the text file and post the original author's name.
- You may work on the same map as another person, so don't be afraid about someone claiming a map you wanted to work on.
- You may work on more than one map, but I ask you that you finish your current map before starting on your next one.
- When uploading your map, include the original and its text file for comparison.
- traversd and GreyGhost will compile the wad together. They have final say on map slots.
- See this post for further details.
I recommend consulting Essel's mapping tips and tricks for good ways to detail and texture your map.
- Super Jamie
- 1994 Tune-up Challenge Resource
*NOTE*: THE FOLLOWING LINKS ARE NOW FUNCTIONAL AGAIN!! :D
Submitted Maps (New, Finished):
- Final Texture Wad by GreyGhost - fdgfxd2-final.zip (*Note to Testers*: This file is necessary for testing!)
Keep in mind that your map may be relocated based on difficulty. If you would like a map with a special, such as Map 7, please tell me. I would like to avoid using map specials, but at least one map can use them if necessary.
- Snarboo, Helipad by Sean R. Malloy (Submitted)
- MajorRawne with fixes by traversd, WOODHAL2.WAD by David Damerell (Submitted)
- printz with fixes by traversd, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood? by Grant Monroe (Submitted)
- Dragonsbrethren, Undersea by Brian Plumb (Submitted)
- maggot202, Melange by Kenneth S. Forte (Submitted)
- maggot202 with fixes by traversd, Command Control by Patrick Hipps (Submitted)
- traversd, viper.wad by Ash (Submitted)
- traversd, Execute.wad by Steven Doornbos (Submitted)
- traversd, TECHBASE.WAD by Brandon Reinhart (Submitted)
- walter confalonieri, Pie.wad by James Ojaste (Submitted)
- UOD, SUBWAY.WAD by Neal Ziring (Submitted)
- traversd, ORIGWAD.WAD by Jeffrey Bird (Submitted)
- walter confalonieri, Nefarious Chateau by Denver J. Curtis (Submitted)
- ArmouredBlood with fixes by traversd, Fort Borg by John C. Boyle (Submitted)
- 40oz, Ultima 1 by Jon Charlson (Chaff) (Submitted)
- traversd, WILLE1M1.WAD by William Leslie (Submitted)
- 40oz, Tunnels by Dominique Lavergne (Submitted)
- ArmouredBlood, Elements by Henry Chang (Submitted)
- CodenniumRed, TTADOM11.WAD by Bilbo, Reepicheep, Technocop, Jonnybag (Submitted)
- Krispavera with fixes by traversd, The Fortified Castle by Dominique Lavergne (Submitted)
- Mr. Freeze and Krispavera with fixes by traversd, SWEET.WAD by James Bearden (Submitted)
- lareman with fixes by traversd, Hades House of Horrors - Part Two by Robert Zubek (Submitted)
- tatsurd-cacocaco and Solarn, Brian and Craig Spark's Map 3 (Submitted)
- masayan with fixes by traversd, Brian and Craig Sparks Map 1 (Submitted)
- masayan, Ice Nightmare 2 by VT Ice (Submitted)
- Mr. Freeze with fixes by traversd, Hades House of Horrors - Part One by Robert Zubek (Submitted)
- tatsurd-cacocaco, OUTLAND.WAD by Russel Gruber (Submitted)
- tatsurd-cacocaco, Castle to Hell by Richard Dignall (Submitted)
- rf', wetwrkd2.wad by Zen Psychosis (Submitted)
- walter confalonieri and traversd, Pure Evil by Doug Ryerson (Submitted)
- GreyGhost with fixes by DoomHero85, Xenomorph 'The Complex' by Daniel Griffiths (Submitted)
- Phobus, Vampire 5 by Darrell Bircsak (Submitted)
Most importantly, have fun. :)
Some maps to pick from:
Last edited by Snarboo on Nov 5 2011 at 05:51