TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

I'd like to say that I am still working on this. Various issues are slowing things down but I am still testing those maps. Still feels like I'm slacking but things arent always optimal.

Share this post


Link to post



Yeah, I know this area looks like ass right now, but this weekend I've gotten more progress done on Map06 than I have over the entire past few months, and I want to show one of the newest sections of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Processingcontrol said:

Yeah, I know this area looks like ass right now, but this weekend I've gotten more progress done on Map06 than I have over the entire past few months, and I want to show one of the newest sections of it.

Hard to make out a whole lot with the low lighting. But I do like the use of height variance, with the recessed stairs and raised walkways. The blue tech walls add a pleasing splash of color to the brown palette, as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks good to me. Suitably dark and brooding. Only thing I can really suggest is you could possibly use a darker texture on the raised ceiling sector in the foreground, for a little more contrast.

Share this post


Link to post

I cant even see anything but a shotgun on my TV :/

Share this post


Link to post
Ragnor said:

I cant even see anything but a shotgun on my TV :/


I think that's good...seems it was the aim :)

Share this post


Link to post

I can see it perfectly fine on my Vita oddly enough.

Share this post


Link to post

Just a bump and a certainly not passive-aggressive reminder that we once had a deadline set for six months ago.

Any word on Meks map? I know he takes his time on his maps, and it is certainly worth it, but has there been any matter of status update?

Share this post


Link to post

I got a bunch of work done on this over Spring break. I couldn't help but add one more area to the map, mainly because I didn't think the path to the yellow key had enough variety in it. Now I actually wanted to have this map released by the end of the break, but of course I didn't quite make it. The layout is now complete, and all of the extra fluff I had lying around the map has been removed (which also fixed the blockmap issue I was having recently where firing a weapon in the map crashed it, thank goodness). All that is left now is monster and item placement (I'm not quite satisfied with it yet).

Here is the new area, and the final layout of the map if you want to see it:




Layout:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/mapview_zps45409b5c.png

Share this post


Link to post
TheMionicDonut said:

Just a bump and a certainly not passive-aggressive reminder that we once had a deadline set for six months ago.

Any word on Meks map? I know he takes his time on his maps, and it is certainly worth it, but has there been any matter of status update?



Just got a PM from mek today actually, in which he says, more or less, that he is working on Vela Pax and Supplice, and his tnt map is on his to do list. He sent me an early version of his tnt map a while ago, with some general ideas in it. Progress has been slow, (hell, I still have 2 maps to finish myself,) but the early creations that mek sent me are pretty awesome. Which will come as no surprise to anyone.

So long story short, progress is there, but probably slower than ideal. In spite of this, still faster than my mapping is currently going.

lupinx-Kassman said:

I got a bunch of work done on this over Spring break. I couldn't help but add one more area to the map, mainly because I didn't think the path to the yellow key had enough variety in it. Now I actually wanted to have this map released by the end of the break, but of course I didn't quite make it. The layout is now complete, and all of the extra fluff I had lying around the map has been removed (which also fixed the blockmap issue I was having recently where firing a weapon in the map crashed it, thank goodness). All that is left now is monster and item placement (I'm not quite satisfied with it yet).

Here is the new area, and the final layout of the map if you want to see it:

[images]

Layout:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/mapview_zps45409b5c.png


Looks awesome. Darn it for the screens not being bigger, but still looks really good. Just realized I hadn't send you the latest version of the texture pack, which has a little new stuff in it, so check your pm's, Have sent it now.

That blockmap issue you mention, I was having the same problem with my map 29, until I moved a few of the outlying monster closets and one playable area to the center of the map, which fixed the problem for me also.

The layout looks great, though just looking at it, I am wondering how you are not making vanilla limits weep blood.

Good stuff, looking forward to seeing the final product.

Share this post


Link to post
lupinx-Kassman said:

KassDAMN. O_O

Guess that leaves me as the big outlier now. Luckily, I've got a big chunk of my BTSX-E2 obligations near-done, so I should be able to polish those off and get back to this soonish. Though I may have to be a lame-ass and put a teleporter in one are where you were supposed to walk around the edge of a cliffside, thanks to seg/VPO issues (which is actually why I haven't touched the map in a while). Better than not finishing it, I guess... <_<

Share this post


Link to post

In which way? As a credits/prelude to Plutonia? Both are sequels to Doom 2 but aren't mentioned or related in story wise to each other so they stands as their own alternate universes (although many players like to consider TNT before and Plutonia after because of difficulty grade AND PSX version of Final Doom made them into continuous episodes).

Or worst case scenario... Doomguy passes into portal that creates paradox with alternate universe which means that in subverted past dimension beyond timer, Doomguy literally became Gatekeeper? But in other, basic dimension, there's still a Doomguy who is going stop and kill Gatekeeper messing with Quantum Accelerator... Because of that paradox second reality could be created, that alternate one from Revisited, and basic one from PL2. So much possibilities. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Xaser said:

Guess that leaves me as the big outlier now.


No, my friend, that would be me. Heh. Still have two outstanding maps to finish for this, both of which are around two thirds done.

And yeah, I know all about the hitting VPO and seg limits thing. Two of my maps had in fact hit blockmap issues as well, so I had to move some of the outlying areas to the centre of the map and use teleporters to connect them. Ugh.

Just for the sake of updating, I have been testing/bugfixing maps the last couple of months, and only in the last week or so have I actually got back to mapping. At last, some progress.





Share this post


Link to post

Nice screenshots Kyka, but are you sure you're not exceeding the limits?

Share this post


Link to post

Youve been testing all this time? Guess my version will be obsolete by the time I can get back to it. I feel terrible for not touching it for maybe a month now, but hey, IRL circumstances got in the way.

Share this post


Link to post

Heh, what's so awesome about them? Mostly I just see symmetry and repetition, especially on the first two shots. The third one is more interesting, of course. Kind of strange to see Kyka posting a picture of a square room, he can do so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
C30N9 said:

Nice screenshots Kyka, but are you sure you're not exceeding the limits?

I don't see much that could be exceeding the limits, really, though the wall of tech columns in shot 3 might give you trouble if there are a lot of monsters and projectiles in the area (and IMO they look kind of silly to begin with).

Share this post


Link to post

Alter, looks interesting.

For your, and everyone else's viewing pleasure, I am almost done with map 17, Waterworks. (We may need a better name, as there is very little water on this level now.) Also, it is pretty big.

http://i.imgur.com/IWDSKzG.png

Share this post


Link to post

that layout looks disgustingly stringy

Share this post


Link to post

I dunno. There is a lot of spaghetti in that map. Not just long flat corridors, but really long symmetrical corridors.

Share this post


Link to post
esselfortium said:

I dunno. There is a lot of spaghetti in that map. Not just long flat corridors, but really long symmetrical corridors.


On top of that, it also looks kinda linear. Kinda really linear.

Again, will need to see how it plays.

Share this post


Link to post

I think it looks pretty cool. Looks like a map that will really capture the TNT feeling of adventure. And while it does look relatively linear, I see no problem with that, I don't see why every map needs to be non linear. Variety is good, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Olympus said:

I think it looks pretty cool. Looks like a map that will really capture the TNT feeling of adventure. And while it does look relatively linear, I see no problem with that, I don't see why every map needs to be non linear. Variety is good, I suppose.

This exactly. MAP29 of Hell Revealed II was a good kind of linear.

Share this post


Link to post
This topic is now closed to further replies.