Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

I'm looking forward to breaking my brain your puzzle MionicDonut.

Also with Soulcrusher public beta 1 out (not here) i'm back to working on Waterworks.

Mionic, it is an awesome idea to do a puzzle section for map 30, very in keeping with the original Evilution.

And Alter. Man, that screen looks so classic TNT, it is making my face hurt. Great stuff.

Also, just to give a few clues away about the final boss:

-The entire final boss artwork was done by Thomas van der Velden, who did the final boss graphics for Plutonia 2, as well as levels 10, 12, 26, 30 and 32 for that megawad, (and many other levels besides) as well as being the creator of the standalone ZDoom based "Harmony"

-The boss looks awesome.

Ok, these are not much in the way of clues, especially as I have already given them away much earlier in the thread, but for anyone relatively new to the thread: there you go. Ur welcome. :)

Screenshot looks nice, though why are only some of the UAC crates updated with Cage's graphics and the others are still the original 2-color flat ones?

Thanks for the comment essel.

To answer your question, I decided to leave in both the original crate graphics and their newer counterparts, as I felt that having many different types of crate added to the TNT 'feel.' The original Evilution certainly had no issue mixing old wooden crates with crates made of 'modern' materials.

[edit]

And just because I haven't posted any screens in forever: (from a bunch of different maps)

I think the wooden crates were intentional and not just a random idea to mix it up with other kinds of crates because after all they had TNT stamped on them which could be that they are TNT but I don't really know.

Also that last shot of yours has over 800 monsters, It's not going to be very slaugterish is it? :S

Of course it's not my position to judge and it's everyones decision working on this to make it they they they want, but it's just that I wasn't expecting this mod to have Plutonia qualities.

Avoozl said:

Also that last shot of yours has over 800 monsters, It's not going to be very slaugterish is it? :S

Of course it's not my position to judge and it's everyones decision working on this to make it they they they want, but it's just that I wasn't expecting this mod to have Plutonia qualities.

Even though there are so many monsters, this is only because this particular map is such a huge map. (being in the map 29 slot, I felt it should be pretty big and challenging. And I feel it is.) That said, it is not in any way a slaughtermap, but it will be a pretty challenging map.

I have said on this thread a couple of times that this megawad shouldn't ever head into slaughtermap territory, but should rely on good map design and smart monster placement to achieve its difficulty rather than simply placing piles of monsters in crowded spaces.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Even though there are so many monsters, this is only because this particular map is such a huge map. (being in the map 29 slot, I felt it should be pretty big and challenging. And I feel it is.) That said, it is not in any way a slaughtermap, but it will be a pretty challenging map.

I have said on this thread a couple of times that this megawad shouldn't ever head into slaughtermap territory, but should rely on good map design and smart monster placement to achieve its difficulty rather than simply placing piles of monsters in crowded spaces.

That's a good way to put it. Compare amount of monsters to the size of the map. This megawad is intended to follow its predecessor, steady level progression that gets challenging as goes like the Memento Moris and Requiem, and not much emphasis on brutal knockabout gameplay as in Plutonia and Hell Revealed. Anyway, I am really psyched for this megawad. I'm gonna fire up Evilution and Eternal's TNT: Renascence to get myself ready. Best of luck!

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Except that one cave. *evil laugh*

On a most certainly unrelated note, map28 clocks in with over 1000 monsters on UV. It also has roughly a 75 minute playtime.

Avoozl said:

PLUTONIA

IS NOT

A SLAUGHTER WAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Map32 is the only slaughter map in the entire wad. The rest is even less slaughterish than TNT. I don't know why so many people have that misconception.

T-Rex said:

This megawad is intended to follow its predecessor, steady level progression that gets challenging as goes like the Memento Moris and Requiem, and not much emphasis on brutal knockabout gameplay as in Plutonia...

*points pistol towards face*

Processingcontrol said:

PLUTONIA

IS NOT

Seriously, Map32 is the only slaughter map in the entire wad. The rest is even less slaughterish than TNT. I don't know why so many people have that misconception.

*points pistol towards face*

I didn't mean that Plutonia is slaughter-based this time. I meant Plutonia being brutal as in the sense that it uses mostly heavyweight enemies. Besides, Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited Community Project had their share of maps that had hordes of monsters, not just Map32, and some people tend to compare Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta, and the Scythe duology to Plutonia, so, if Doomers perceive the gameplay of Plutonia to be that way, why all the fuss? All of them are difficult in their own way.

Ball bustingly difficult does not equal slaughter. And vice versa.

Also, 1000th post, reworking stuff in S&S tonight, since I mentioned map28, I'll hammer a few things out.

Is there will be public beta near completion date like the other community projects?

Processingcontrol said:

PLUTONIA

IS NOT

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply Plutonia is slaughter based when I said "plutonia qualities", what I had in mind when I said that was because of evidence of certain other things I have noticed about this wads progress, it's my fault for not explaining further on it and making it looked like it was part of the other thing I said.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Thanks for the comment essel.

And just because I haven't posted any screens in forever: (from a bunch of different maps)

Those are some really nice screens. I liked the third and fifth especially.

1000 monsters for map 28 and 800 monsters for map 29? Dang, I was only expecting mine to have around 150. But I guess some variation is nice.

Unless Kyka changed something up, 29 is closer to 900. I still dont know why the numbers keep fluctuating.

My bad, Mionic Donut- I read Avoozl's post so I figured it was around 800 monsters. Anyway heres another shot of map 25:

Getting a bit of mappers block, though, unfortunately. Hopefully I can get over it in the next few days.

I figure it's about time for my map to become not-vaporware.

[EDIT] Updated first screen (changed that blue-rimmed part because I hated it) and added a screenshot from on top of the platform. ;)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Even though there are so many monsters, this is only because this particular map is such a huge map.

nearly 900 monsters and NOT a slaughter-map. That's your green-themed map too isn't it?

Gonna have to stop coming to look at this thread, I can't take the excitement anymore O.o

Also, about the slaughter-map thing. While Go 2 it was a slaughter-map, it was acceptable because it was - at the time - unique, and also only a Secret level.

Olympus, like that screenie. I really like the stuff I have seen of yours. Keep it up.

And Xaser, awesome screens dude. I love how you are using the new textures.

And Eris, yes map 29 is my green map. Dude, you really have been paying attention to this thread. cheers. :)

Yeah, map 29 has (iirc, comp still dead) around 950 monsters on UV. Some screens may show different totals to this, but either I was playtesting on a different difficulty, or earlier screens where I hadn't finished placing all the monsters.

Keep up the awesome work guys. :D

Olympus scrapped the map he was working on, so I grabbed it to make an introduction to the boss. Here's what I've done so far:

This is what I've come up with for the actual boss entrance.

Closeup of the entrance.

Xaser said:

I figure it's about time for my map to become not-vaporware.

*shots*

And it would've been a shame if it stayed vaporware, as those shots look great.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Yeah, map 29 has (iirc, comp still dead)

Damn, you still waiting on parts or for someone to fix it?

printz said:

You shouldn't have posted the final boss.

The shot I posted shows the area the final boss is in, but not the boss itself. I'm not going to post the actual boss. And plus, that's what I came up with in 20-30 minutes. I'm more than likely going to redo the entire area as I'm not convinced it's the best I can do.

Whoo said:

Olympus scrapped the map he was working on, so I grabbed it to make an introduction to the boss. Here's what I've done so far:

The shot I posted shows the area the final boss is in, but not the boss itself. I'm not going to post the actual boss. And plus, that's what I came up with in 20-30 minutes. I'm more than likely going to redo the entire area as I'm not convinced it's the best I can do.

If I were you, I wouldn't change a thing, those shots all look friggin' fantastic to me.

Whoo, I agree with waverider, those shots look fantastic, though if you think you have better than those screenies in you, then I ain't gonna argue that. The middle top of the third picture needs a little alignment, or perhaps a different texture that wraps around better without being cut off, but that's easily fixed.

Whoo said:

Damn, you still waiting on parts or for someone to fix it?

Should be fixed today, actually, so will be back on the mapping trail soon. Somehow managed to fry both the motherboard and the CPU. Top work, that. Good time for an upgrade. My friend took a little while to get all the bits, but he got really good prices, and he knows a lot about computers.

All of my maps had a lot of work done to them before my pc went down.

Map 03 (Sand) has doubled in size from the version sent to the testers. (Has around 200 monsters on UV now.) I did this because this map was originally designed for the map 01 slot, and was a lot smaller, but seeing as it is in the map 03 slot now, bigger is better.

Map 04 (Gray Sector) has had a lot of work done retexturing to make it really sit with the TNT theme, as well as having several new deathmatch areas added.

Map 23 (Mill II, Millicious, Deadmill, Dreadmill. Working titles (thanks DeathEvocation and MionicDonut for some of these potential names.)) Of all my maps, this one probably still needs the most work.

Map 29. (Working title: Final Green Mile.) Totally done. Except the last few areas still need difficulty settings done. And then no doubt about a million more changes once the testers get through with it. Which is a really good thing. Better testers finding lots of faults than end users finding lots of faults.

All my other maps just need the implementing of the testers recommendations.

Also, if anyone can come up with any clever names involving the concepts of "last" or "final" and also "green" for my Map 29 slot, then post away. 'Final Green Mile' was the best I could do so far.

Xaser said:

I figure it's about time for my map to become not-vaporware..

Those shots look amazing. Creative architecture, great lighting, and an awesome red/metal combo.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Also, if anyone can come up with any clever names involving the concepts of "last" or "final" and also "green" for my Map 29 slot, then post away. 'Final Green Mile' was the best I could do so far.

-Verde Sunset
-Verde Twilight
-Green curtain
-Green Mean Ending Machine
-Final Green-stination
-Green-atar: The Last Mapbender

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:
Also, if anyone can come up with any clever names involving the concepts of "last" or "final" and also "green" for my Map 29 slot, then post away. 'Final Green Mile' was the best I could do so far.[/B]

Terminus Viridian?

So If I take the word "Twilight" from you PC and "Terminus" from you kmxexii, I get the very cool "Terminus Twilight". Also "Viridian Twilight" for another very cool PC/kmxexii combination.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think we will get something pretty cool out of those ideas.

I kind of like Viridian Twilight
The Greened Finale
Green Grinder
Delusions of Green
Verdant Pandemonium
Lucifer's Greed

On another note:

Is this the beginnering of your part? The end of my segment is conveniently, invisible bridges and ALLBLAK. If it isn't, I can throw in a teleporter.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

So If I take the word "Twilight" from you PC and "Terminus" from you kmxexii, I get the very cool "Terminus Twilight". Also "Viridian Twilight" for another very cool PC/kmxexii combination.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think we will get something pretty cool out of those ideas.

Emerald Keep perhaps?