Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scalliano

Threshold Of Pain

Kyka, Map01 is on average 1/3 the size of every other level, so you have a LONG way to go ;)

Cheers, though. As for my avatar, I'm just surprised nobody else thought of it first :P

The first couple of levels weren’t too impressive in my opinion. For instance, on Map01 it was too dark to see the zombies outside and the Barron trap was tedious with a shotgun (I'd remove some of the room's ammo and replace them with Hell Knights.

Though later maps get much better.

But I would trap the player in the trap rooms a bit more and you use that door trap set up, first seen at the end of Map02, a lot.

The additional monsters are generally well chosen and used; though I thought the new weapons were useless (i.e. they didn't add anything and just seem present for the sake of another "feature").

Also, you've placed nearly all the health and ammo in corners, which is mostly fine (ammo clips tend to blend in though). But I wouldn't have a solid decoration object in the corner with them as you sometimes, but often enough do. They get in the way.

Finally, I generally had a large amount of ammo at all times beyond the first couple of maps.

I'm with you on the ammo thing - I had a few comments on the Skulltag forums saying that there wasn't enough in the demo I posted a while back, so I added more, although not much. IDK maybe Skulltag players aren't as good at balancing their ammo in SP as the rest of us :P

Vermil said:

The first couple of levels weren’t too impressive in my opinion. For instance, on Map01 it was too dark to see the zombies outside and the Barron trap was tedious with a shotgun (I'd remove some of the room's ammo and replace them with Hell Knights.

Finally, I generally had a large amount of ammo at all times beyond the first couple of maps.

I thought that things were clear enough in all the levels. There was one level that had two really dark areas, but I liked how eerie they were. I found that the ammo was just right for me, but, then again, I'm a terrible shot at times, so I go through a bit more ammo than I should.

New version uploaded with numerous bugfixes. Also fixed a broken script in MAP12 which opened the exit door too early.

I love this wad.
Played through it today and got up to Map07 and I had a great time. Will finish this up sometime later today or tomorrow, just gotta say that the gameplay is so much more than what the screenshots posted could possibly provide.
Just those BLASTED NIGHTMARE CACOS HDFKGSGL. Still a must-play and a definite award contender IMO.

-Moti

Heh, I feel your pain! It's jDoom64 all over again, eh? :P Thanks for the encouragement!

Seriously, award contender, eh? Bloody hell, best get it uploaded to /newstuff then :P

Hey, been playing through this, great stuff. I'm on map 8 or 9 now, but I ran into a bit of an error - in map8's bfg secret, both the pedestal and the surrounding marble are tagged secret. It could be one of the things you mentioned fixing, but if not now you know ;)

Didn't spot that one, actually. I'm happy to correct it, but I've already submitted this to /idgames. Is there still a way to update it?

I say, this is awesome and Im inspired by your work :)

you use few but large rooms to make good fights, I use small but many rooms for things like this, you use advanced methods to make simple but indeed entertaining gameplay, map 3 needed some time to find the correct door :D. how much time did you spend to make this?

D_GARG said:

how much time did you spend to make this?

Just over a year.

Glass Rook said:

WTF?

My thoughts entirely.

I really enjoyed this WAD.

The old-school playstation design was great and I think the ambient music selection was excellent and the way you use the reverb in indoor areas aided to the atmosphere. The new Cyberdemon was pretty good. Very challenging.

Have you considered a "light" version without the music for the people still on dial up. 41 meg is about 3 hours on dial up.

Searcher said:

Have you considered a "light" version without the music for the people still on dial up. 41 meg is about 3 hours on dial up.

Yes, actually :)

I promised this a while ago, however there are a couple of resons for the delay. I wanted to make sure all of the technical issues were sorted out first. Probably the wrong way around to do it, granted.

I was also in two minds as to whether or not I should let it use the stock Doom 2 music. One thing to be aware of is that the audio is a fundamental part of what makes this wad what it is.

Because of this, the reduced version has no music at all. It just isn't the same with Doom 2's midis. Still, have a crack at it anyway and see what you think!

@D_GARG: As I said before, I used ACS for the coloured lighting, but AFAIK UDMF gives you direct control over a sector's RGB values, so you might want to look into that.

Did you check the ZDoom Wiki link I posted on page 1? It explains everything about coloured lighting in ZDoom. You may need to run your maps through ZWADCONV first.

If you don't understand how it works in practice, try opening up one of Threshold's maps in DB and look at the scripts lump. Every map in Threshold has a script labeled "Colourmaps" which control the coloured lighting for the map.

I remember playing an early demo of it when only the first few maps were done. I was kinda interested in playing the full thing since the demo had some pretty sweet classic styled gameplay (I'm sure you had a lot of influence from Doom64) but the full thing is like what, 41MB? what's up with the massive filesize?

EDIT: oh wow i should have read 3 posts above. Nice.

I've just updated that link with a quick fix to a "music not found" error I missed.

Sorry if I killed your download, 40oz. I'd deleted the original link minutes before I saw your post!

I've contacted Bloodshedder about putting it in the first post for convenience, hopefully it should be there tomorrow.

Liking it so far! Have you thought about making the music compatible with either the PSX TC Music wad, or the Music wad found on the Doom Depot website? Im guessing the majority of people interested in this will probly already have those! I was hoping it would be new music, maybe mods using the psx samples, but the originals are good!

The MAPINFO file in the full version points to the PSX TC music file names, with a couple of exceptions that aren't included in either the PSX TC pack or the Doom Depot wad. The lite version has music disabled completely. I figured if there are issues with grabbing a 41MB wad, the same would go for a 50MB music pack. The other reason is the way ZDoom handles music it can't find - it will carry on playing the current track. Including the ToP-specific music and leaving the rest to external files would cause no end of issues for those who don't have them (as some experienced in the demo), so in the end I just decided all or nothing. Less hassle at both ends :)

Glad you're enjoying it though - I did do one of the music tracks myself (not hard to spot which one :P) and I had originally toyed with the idea of making some ambient tracks for the WAD as I do have the PSX samples buried somewhere. I dunno, maybe for Threshold II ...

ok Ive played the whole wad now, and I love it!
would like to make a map for Threshold II but i dunno if my mapping skills are enough for it. map11 was just impossible but map12, I spun that shit good ;) I have recorded the entire thing via fraps so expect youtube soon.

I found a major flaw in the sound of many gun sounds and monster sounds, : static noise. really annoying but othervise Ive fallen in love with this shit ( no its not shit at all I just say shit beacuse this rocks ).

... and I killed the final boss at map10 with the same pistol that the doomguy had when he first encountered his first zombie ;)

Spin That Shit!

btw may I steal map12 some day to put it in my own wad some day which might be built some day?

oh btw ( sorry for double posting ) I have this code for ACS but it wount work at all and I dunno why, and actually its pure copypasta from ur wad, sorry if you have anything against it.

#include "zcommon.acs"
#include "fadein.acs"

#define Colourmaps 1

script Colourmaps OPEN
{
Sector_SetColor (91, 255, 32, 128);

}

so the sector tag is 91.
whats missing?

scalliano said:

The MAPINFO file in the full version points to the PSX TC music file names, with a couple of exceptions that aren't included in either the PSX TC pack or the Doom Depot wad. The lite version has music disabled completely. I figured if there are issues with grabbing a 41MB wad, the same would go for a 50MB music pack. The other reason is the way ZDoom handles music it can't find - it will carry on playing the current track. Including the ToP-specific music and leaving the rest to external files would cause no end of issues for those who don't have them (as some experienced in the demo), so in the end I just decided all or nothing. Less hassle at both ends :)

Glad you're enjoying it though - I did do one of the music tracks myself (not hard to spot which one :P) and I had originally toyed with the idea of making some ambient tracks for the WAD as I do have the PSX samples buried somewhere. I dunno, maybe for Threshold II ...

oh ok, i never checked anything, just figured since it came with music files that it didnt, and i havnt gotten far enough to notice a new track, think in near the end of map two... Should do some tracks combining PSX and N64 samples! might come up with something good! I have no problem with the size..

love the msuic to map12 <3

thats the one u made, thinking of using it for an idea for a youtube-poop video, if its ok

EDIT: figured out how to get the music file ^^
man I like it! u make good music