Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

32in24-9: Return of DUEL CORE! - Final bugfixed release on page 5!

All right, folks, here is the Alpha version of 32in24-9 with all the submitted levels in it. All there is in this version are the maps, the MAPINFO, and the 32in24 HUD face. This is just so we have a version with all the maps included ready for playtesting. Please read the included text file for the current map list.

http://www.disasterlabs.com/thegreenherring/temp/32in24-9_ALPHA.zip

For the most part, the levels were arranged in the order they were posted. The only exceptions are MAP09, MAP12, and MAP25. I had to assign new music to MAP37-39, fix an unclosed sector in MAP07, and add a player 1 start to MAP23, but otherwise, there is nothing changed about any of these levels from their original submitted versions.

Please report any bugs or gameplay issues you may find.

Oh and the Musics...

Map03:
ACKER-GS.mid, something I pulled out of my random midi fiels from the internet folder.
(The one time i cant find never gonna give you up on the internet)

Map18:
Robots 9-12 from Doctor Robotniks Mean Bean Machine
mid composed by Magnus Andersson

Map26:
altatrax.mid, something i pulled out of my random midi files from the internet folder.

Map35:
Death Egg Zone From Sonic 2
midi composed by: Jarel Jones

Map45:
The first result of Yakety sax midi on google. I only had a few seconds left D:

This is really embarrasing. I know my reputation as a mapper has already died during the two years since my last decent work but if anyone still thinks I have potential then this should put a stop to that. It took me way too long to get this working, and then I spent way too long trying to make this look good, and then, once I realized I don't know how to make maps look good, it took me way too long to bring it to this pitiful state.

Despite that, I still want to submit it for critique, if it's too late for entry. I think the gameplay should be... interesting.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/19900790/snatch.wad

EDIT: Sorry, I should have noted that it only works in Skulltag, and rocket jumping is expected.

Tested 2-28 with a bot to check bugs, about 3/4 are fine. Someone else should check 1 and 31 which are my maps. So here we go ...

2 - Plain duel no bugs nice job TGH
3 - The long hallway with armor/health bonuses is kind of abusable, good otherwise.
4 - As there is no spare ammo a kill streak doesn't last long, but a stalemate is annoying even with the berserk. Also the soul sphere spawn is kind of a bad spot, as you can teleport right behind it and get a free frag.
5 - Fine, pretty heavy plasma so probably a later map, idk how that's decided with dm
6 - The bot jumped out of the window here, probably should make it impassable. Plasma is pretty dominant.
7 - The side of the nukage pit here is not impassable. Other than the snaggy nature of this cramped map it's fine.
8 - The ceiling of the stairs near the bottom snag the player when at full speed, not sure if intended. Also the two starts at opposite ends of the U make it predictable.
9 - Besides a small L curve, there is no cover with SSG and RL. Didn't really like it.
10 - Bot got stuck in the spawn, although it eventually could've tele'd. Other than the bookcase items being reachable only by jumping it looks ok.
11 - Also requires jumping but to get out of nukage. Ok otherwise.
12 - The one spawn with an immediate SSG and a teleport directly next to the other spawn lets that player get an easy frag against basically only a chaingun. A little snaggy.
13 - Notes say fine.
14 - ditto.
15 - Needs a lower unpegged on the red brick and SSG spawn door, otherwise fine.
16 - Notes say fine.
17 - inescapable lava so no bot testing, but looks fine. Didn't check soul sphere (couldn't figure it out).
18-22 - Notes say all fine.
23 - The slow elevators off the SSG room slow down play but seems fine otherwise.
24-26 - Notes say fine.
27 - SSG behind the red house couldn't be picked up in skulltag, otherwise seemed fine.
28 - fine.

Needs some real multiplayer testing for bugs, but those are the glaring problems.

ArmouredBlood said:

4 - As there is no spare ammo a kill streak doesn't last long, but a stalemate is annoying even with the berserk. Also the soul sphere spawn is kind of a bad spot, as you can teleport right behind it and get a free frag.

Thanks for the comments AB. The map was not really submitted though as a completed map. as you have pointed out it is in a pretty unfinished state - missing alot of stuff such as ammo and health packs.

I'm working on the map now (taking your comments onboard), although it's now not really eligible I guess. I'm happy to have it removed as I didn't expect it to be in ;)

In Australia the mapping session started at roughly 4pm Sunday afternoon so I did few hours work on it and then had to sign-off for work on Monday :(

-t

This was a pretty successful 32-in-24 given the map turnout. It's good to know my maps were one of the better ones ;)

Honestly I prefer quantity over quality, given the level of quality wasn't regurgitated shit. And this is not regurgitated shit, and so I was satisfied. Also I'm really glad we encouraged some new mappers this time too!

IMO I think Mionic Donut's "Dueling on My Mind" map and Whoo's "Episode 1 Mania" map were the best. Not in terms of how good they looked (not saying that it didn't) but because it seems to capture the feeling of duels best, while the rest of them just seem like regular deathmatch maps. Including mine.

I'm excited for 32in24-10

After poking around the alpha version, I've found a couple of bugs that needs to be fix.

small texture bug on map01

and a large hom on map 33

Just started playing the alpha, and the maps are amazing for being made in 24 hours, especially because we went over 32 without losing that much quality.

Can't wait for 32-24-10.

Good job to all the mappers.

Just few stuff i want to say about the ninth session of 32in24:

MAP01: Lacks of health, needs texture algniment.
MAP03: Add a elevator or a teleport on plasma pit,you get stucked!
MAP04: Needs more health and ammo, texture aligniment
MAP07: LOL Illusio-pit trap!
MAP08: Texture don't found (MSKY1)
MAP09: Skulltag (or better say the midi used) crashes using the yamaha-cghx 48 (or some similar title) sound card...
MAP14: That's a personal issue, but music make me frustated...
MAP17: Add some elevator\teleports on the crater,you get stucked!
MAP23: Texture don't found (ALLBLACK), if you want to doing a void effect, you just could use the "ceiling brightness set to this brightness" mode, sets in 16 or darker light effect, like as i did in map24!
MAP33: Texture glitch
MAP36: Texture glitch
MAP435:

other maps are cool, map05,map06 and map24 is a steaming pile of turd, but

thanks armouredblood for love a 2/3 of the turd (map05 and map24).

TESTED THIS NOON ON MY LAPTOP, USING SKULLTAG 0.92d

Waiting for beta (or final release after holidays, as well...)

walter confalonieri said:

MAP03: Add a elevator or a teleport on plasma pit,you get stucked!

That's the point! If anybody changes that, I will amputate the limb of my choice with a ballpoint pen!

Also

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/19906822/Mio-MindDuel-32in24-9.wad

This is Dueling On My Mind with a few glaring texture problems missing (There were some Brain textures in the middle of a scrolling one, and even a few ASHWALLS, I also took out the 3D start.

MAP08: Texture don't found (MSKY1)

Doesn't really matter because I never used that texture in the map anyways, you never see it so it shouldn't be a problem. I did scavenge the wad for that error but found nothing, and nothing happens that makes the port crash fatally, so it should be fine.

Found a large hom on map36

MAP43:[image]

lol this was the best I could make for a second map with less than an hour left during that time -_-;

Bucket said:

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but 38 & 39 have multiple P1 starts.

I mentioned 39 to TGH, I think he's fixed it. I don't think it really matters anyway.

Changes:

For Slime and Metal, I fixed the broken linedef (made it impassable)

For A Small Excavation, I rearranged the deathmatch starts, and added a berserk pack. I also removed the impassable lines in the tunnel.

For Isenheiss, I couldn't find that HOM that I was told about. I looked in both Skulltag and gzDoom.

Here's the master link

http://www.speedyshare.com/settings.php?id=737928914&idh=1160fe6e3a8662ff10f0463369094788

Abyssalstudios1 said:

So, when do we all pile into one server and test the hell outta this thing?

I had one up in ZDaemon for a bit but no one joined, maybe someone could throw one up again?

avery1555 said:

I had one up in ZDaemon for a bit but no one joined, maybe someone could throw one up again?

First off, use Skulltag. And I would certainly join if it was hosted on Wednesday morning.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

First off, use Skulltag. And I would certainly join if it was hosted on Wednesday morning.

Because that is when everybody is around...

Okay, here is the second alpha.

http://www.disasterlabs.com/thegreenherring/temp/32in24-9_ALPHA2.zip

As always, report any bugs or gameplay issues you may find.

Here is the changelog:

General -
* A TITLEPIC has been added. If you have a lot of American history knowledge, you might recognize this one. :)
* Level title graphics have been added, up to MAP08. To see them in single player, use "changemap [map name]" to warp to another level instead of "map [map name]".

MAP04: Time Zones Can Be Rough -
* Fixed two midtextures bleeding through the floor in software mode.

MAP06: Oh, Well, I Think This Could Be a Tower -
* It is no longer possible to jump through the northwest window to your non-death.

MAP07: Slime and Metal -
* One side of the western fence was not set as impassible. This has been fixed. [Abyssalstudios1]
* Changed the illusio-pit into a deep-water sector with a green colormap. The "switches" on the sides have been replaced with a single switch that serves the same function, only with a switch texture on it so you actually know what it is.

MAP08: Emphasis -
* Fixed the "MSKY1 not found" error, which actually wasn't the fault of the author. I used the Greenwar II MAPINFO as the basis for this WAD's MAPINFO, but I forgot that MAP08 used a MAPINFO-defined custom sky. Agh!

MAP10: I'm Not Here to Read, I'm Here to Duel! -
* The music has been changed. [Philnemba]
* It is now possible to access the bookcase items without jumping. Find out how for yourself!

MAP11: Episode 1 Mania -
* You can now escape from the nukage pools without jumping. [Whoo]

MAP12: A Small Excavation -
* "I rearranged the deathmatch starts, and added a berserk pack. I also removed the impassable lines in the tunnel." [Abyssalstudios1]

MAP19: The Crucible of Sorrow -
* The title of this level now appears in-game. Previously, I had forgotten to update its MAPINFO entry with the final title.

MAP21: Geography Class Warfare -
* Title changed from "Drawn on Paper During My Geography Class." Thanks to TheMionicDonut for the suggestion.

MAP22: Pillar of Guts -
* "Raised brick ceiling to get rid of a clipped brick, and aligned a texture." [Whoo]

MAP23: Poop Processing -
* Removed the multiplayer flag from all the items in the level, to comply with the submission rules.
* Fixed the broken sky, which, again, wasn't the fault of the author, for the same reason as MAP08.

MAP25: Duel of the Red Death -
* Now uses the correct title.

MAP27: PRIMATE HOUSE -
* You can now pick up the super shotgun behind the brick house.
* It is no longer possible to get trapped between the crates in the brick house in source ports without jumping. Press the Use key when facing the medium-sized, gray crate to escape.
* The door into the brick house was 16 map units beneath the floor. This is no longer the case. (The door textures have been realigned accordingly.)

MAP30: Ashes to Ashes -
* Fixed impassible lines hanging in the air in the northeast of the level.

MAP31: Mountain Foundry -
* You can no longer jump through the hole in the wall at the south of the level.

MAP36: Isenheiss -
* Fixed a HOM effect all around the level. Presumably, the author intended to surround the level with sky, but he put the sky texture on the floor of the relevant sector instead of the ceiling. This has been fixed.

MAP38: Finished My Map -
* Fixed the voodoo doll bug. I changed the voodoo doll into a deathmatch start, as its location implied a deathmatch starting point like the other ones in this level.

MAP39: Darn Windows -
* Removed the voodoo doll in this level.

The Green Herring said:

MAP04: Time Zones Can Be Rough[/b] -
* Fixed two midtextures bleeding through the floor in software mode.

@TGH: Sounds like my map is in. Given the comments re:health and ammo/texture alignment, what tweaks can be done to the map now during the 'alpha' without breaking the rules of 32in24? If you want I'm happy to fix up items etc if it's needed.

Cheers,
-t