Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Duke Nukem mod (still going, upload 02/19/2010)

If he wants to spend his time making it, then why the fuck not???

Looks awesome!

Torr Samaho said:

... however the point of playing duke with the doom engine eludes me, as the build engine is better suited for displaying a "realistic" environment, doom is more the hellish, abstract stuff...

I disagree. With the bucket-load of advanced features of the Doom ports today, the engine can pretty much be turned into whatever you want. I was actually amazed at just how much i was able to pull off while making this mod. I always loved Duke Nukem 3D, but i have never been a particular fan of the Build Engine for a vast majority of reasons. I always feelt that the Doom core engine is more stable and controllable. Aswell as much, much easier to edit.

Lizardcommando said:

Wow. That HUD looks really cool. I didn't know EDGE supported custom HUDs.

Recent versions do, something called COAL script (use to be LUA script, but changed for some reason). There is also the basis for editing the menu system, a non-functioning script, but it hasn't been implemented yet. I hope they do because i need to make major changes to the menu (the alligning of the images and texts is a real ass-kicker for one).

Heh, heh,

Playing your second release with the gravity turned down 2 or 3 notches...
Bouncy gibs are fun!

I don't even care for dukenukem3d but for the past couple of weeks this is the mod I've been playing the most.

I hope the new beta becomes d'loadable soon.

zZaRDoZz said:

Heh, heh,

Playing your second release with the gravity turned down 2 or 3 notches...

Can you turn down the gravity in EDGE? I wasn't aware of that.

You might want to use MultiUpload.com to distribute your mod. You upload your file there and it gets uploaded automatically to 8 other well-known, popular file storage sites. They are: RapidShare, MegaUpload, DepositFiles, HotFile, zShare, Badongo, Uploading.com, and 2Shared.

Not trying to hijack your thread or anything... just a suggestion.

Just thought I'd note that the file will become down-loadable eventually if you try often enough.

Love those face huggers, although I don't remember them coming off so easily.

zZaRDoZz said:

Love those face huggers, although I don't remember them coming off so easily.

Actually in Duke 3D they would die of one shot from any weapon. Technically they were programmed to "die" by any shot from any weapon without it actually causing them any damage. I just barely managed to pull of the effect of them crawling up and chewing on your face, it's far from perfect (i.e. no death sound or death animation), i might perfect it if i can figure out a way of doing it.
It is currently programmed so that whenever any of the weapons are fired it will launch a script that disables the script that makes them appear to be chewing on your face. If i add a death sound or death animation, it will be heard everytime you fire a weapon. Unless i can figure out a way of making a thing (creature, projectile, etc.) attach or stick itself to the player, i can't do it any better. I tried experimenting with the archviles fire attack but with no luck.

Okay, at the risk of exposing my nubieness in a most terrible manner;

Is there any way to exploit beserker mode? i.e. a "mode" that inflicts constant damage instead of invulnerability after player touches object (in this case, entity)?

zZaRDoZz said:

Okay, at the risk of exposing my nubieness in a most terrible manner;

Is there any way to exploit beserker mode? i.e. a "mode" that inflicts constant damage instead of invulnerability after player touches object (in this case, entity)?

Not sure what you getting at here but yes, all powerup effect (when touched) can be changed in the way they behave through scripting, you can make them increase the players speed, health, armour, height/radius, jump height or give the player the effect of any of the Doom powerups, or a combination of them.

At the moment all of the "inventory" items behave like there Doom counterpart, but i am planning on radically changing their behaviour so they're not activated until player presses a button (i.e jetpack). Something similar to an inventory system.

See first post for new download.

Quite a few changes. The Status Bar/HUD display is complete (allthough i might make alterations to the actual graphics) along with most of the menu. Duke now cracks his knuckles and proceeds to reloading his gun when you start a game.

Note: The slimer code is somewhat broken since i tried improving it and it didn't turn out well. Also the Pig Recon Car (or whatever it's called, i call it that) still doesn't produce an explosion trail. Really have to figure that one out.

Enjoy!

Alright, the Recon Patrol Vehicles or RPV for short, which is its correct name, death animation has been sorted out and working. I've also added the Riot Tank from the Plutonium Pak/Atomic Edition, and just like the original it can be destroyed easilly without wasting any ammo whatsoever. Other than that, many bugs and glitches have been fixed and the Shrinker/Expander idle animation have been improved upon aswell as other improvements here and there.

Now if there only was someone who would be interested in the level department.

They are much too big. Also they are kinda dark, hard to see anything. What exactly is it i am looking at? Hollywood Holocaust remake? By you? More info please.

Would be cool if anybody be willing in doing levels for this project, as it does have potential. But simply remaking the original levels would seem pointless, how i see it there are two options:

A) Completly original levels (but faithful to the original game).

B) Improvement/extension/re-imagining of the original levels plus the official extension packs (Plutonium Pak, Duke Caribbean, etc.).

Option B) sounds like the most fun to me.

Also, such a level project would, of course, require a hefty ammount of scripting. And that's probably an understatement. But it IS possible.

yes, its just an example i made, i had some duke textures laying around and had a few seconds to spare.

new maps would seem to be the best option. as im sure that many people have played duke nukem 3d, and are looking for somthing new.

good work... im only mising laser trip mine's .... i have on my hardrive some pwad's from newstuff chronicles,it is best testing for your mod ....

wolf said:

good work... im only mising laser trip mine's .... i have on my hardrive some pwad's from newstuff chronicles,it is best testing for your mod ....

Like i already mentioned, the Laser Trip Bomb might not make it into the mod because of several reasons (engine limitations being the primary). However it might get replaced with something else. Maybe something better. Besides, i never used it much when i play Duke3D myself so i feel its a weapon that is expendable.

The laser tripbomb would be tricky in EDGE. I can think of a way to set it up using small, simple models, but I'll be damned if I know how you could get it to only be placed on a wall. On a floor? Sure. Wall is unlikely.

But I have to agree since I rarely used the tripbomb in Duke3d.

I had an idea of how to do this in zdoom, not too certain how to pull it off in edge.

when the player places the tripbomb, it spawns an invisible actor that shoots out a model of a red line. it should spawn a decal on whatever wall it is placed on. When the player gets hit by one of the red line projectiles, it gives the invisible actor an inventory item that tells it to explode. seems easy enough, I would imagine that would take some real effort tho.

My oh my why was this here thread bumped, I had hoped it would remain lost and forgotten.

Still, I might upload it. As is. I don't even know if the thing works. It was abandoned after all.

Spoiler

there is something newer and better related to Duke3D in the works