Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
esselfortium

I REALLY need help on this huge new project

I've begun work on DOOM: Revisited (tentative title). I got the idea after reading the original plans (DOOM bible if you don't know already).

After seeing how much was changed, it would be great to see what the result would be if the game continued going as originally planned.

It will feature six episodes, 9 levels each, and will be based on the regular Ultimate DOOM engine (with Dehacked patch of course). I am currently working on the first level of episode 1. The episodes will be:
Evil Unleashed
The Fiery Pit
Dead Simple
Armed Assault
??? (not decided yet)
The Final Gate

Yes, some of the episodes names were changed from the original, due to personal preference (and to avoid confusion between the final version of Knee-Deep in the Dead with the original version, which is now Dead Simple, taken from the well-chosen name of the level).

So, who wants to be a level designer? If this is going to have six 9-level episodes, we will need a lot of people!

And yes, I have heard of the alpha versions available for download. This is going to be a complete game.

PLEASE HELP DOOM: REVISITED! I NEED YOUR HELP!

Heh, it's like this: Nearly everybody here has learned to edit Doom levels, or so it seems. Plus, most of those decide they want to keep editing until they have 32 or whatever levels to make a full WAD. Now that's a big number, so they need help. They come here for that help, but everybody else is doing the same thing.

Would YOU help out someone else's WAD just because they needed the help?

Didn't think so. So deliberate on this a while.

Think things through: Would you be prepared to do 32 whole levels yourself? If not, leave it there, or lower your targets. If so, good luck!

That's the cruel reality of all this. We're all busy, okay? Good.

I didn't really expect much help, but if anyone knows any weapon graphic designers that can put some of their work into gif files (instead of a WAD, makes my life easier) then I would appreciate it.

About level design...
Me and my friends are designing levels. They aren't very experienced, and don't even have the tools! They make them on paper, and I copy them into Hellmaker! (I usually have to make so many changes the original is unrecognizable, but they enjoy helping out and I don't mind)

Still, if anyone has any levels they'd like to donate to the project (not bloody likely), their levels will probably be used.

There's maybe four or five people in the entire community who are actually capable of making decent looking weapon graphics, so I doubt you'll be able to find anyone.

Maonth is right. Complete the first episode and let people see it. If they like how it looks they will be more apt to join than they will otherwise.

JayExTee is absolutely right, but unlike MOST people, I'm ONLY working on two projects at the time, both of which are in hibernation.

1. In Thy Nightmares (We are waiting for hosting, that's all.)

2. My own unannoucned project called From The Depths, a full 32 level megawad that's barely started.(I have MAP01 and MAP07) My friend DJ-EKS is doing the music. He's GOOD at it.

Most of FTD takes place in Hell. I like making Hell based levels. Levels will range from a Supercollider (MAP06) To a disgusting maze of flesh and metal (MAP30)
Give me some guidelines for your stuff and I'll think about it. E-mail me.

jrposton@pa.net

OH! Have you even considered that using these ideas may be illegal in some way? Sorry to nit-pick, but it's always a possibility.

I'm good at making moon base (aka UAC) levels. I've never really tried making other kinds. Well, I have actually, come to think of it, but I've never really finished any other one.

As soon as I have my first level finished (should be real soon), Secondary Hangar, I'll release it on my website, resurrection666.8m.com

"Eagles may fly, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I'm good at making moon base (aka UAC) levels. I've never really tried making other kinds. Well, I have actually, come to think of it, but I've never really finished any other one.

As soon as I have my first level finished (should be real soon), Secondary Hangar, I'll release it on my website, resurrection666.8m.com

"Eagles may fly, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Before you release it, hand out betas to a handful of people who really know what they are talking about. They can give you guidelines and tips. When they are satisfied, your project will have a great start :)

I like the concept, btw.

I'd love to help, but I have problems, the maps I make won't work. (BTW I'm using DETH) I make a level and when I go to play it a screen comes up after the DOOM95 loading is finished that says error music 125. (Or something along those lines) So if someone wants to help me with that problem I could make tons of maps!

Have you tried Legacy? I have the same problem, but I thought it was because I use Virtual PC! (I have a Mac, if you haven't noticed)

If you can find a workaround to your problem, then I'd be glad to let you join the team!

By the way, anyone who was interested in Metal Gear Solid DOOM now has my full permission to make it. I have postponed it indefinitely and I will probably not get back to it. (It's impossible to make a good stealth game without Windoze-only tools and source ports :-P)

Heh, it's like this: Nearly everybody here has learned to edit Doom levels, or so it seems. Plus, most of those decide they want to keep editing until they have 32 or whatever levels to make a full WAD. Now that's a big number, so they need help. They come here for that help, but everybody else is doing the same thing.

Would YOU help out someone else's WAD just because they needed the help?

Didn't think so. So deliberate on this a while.

Think things through: Would you be prepared to do 32 whole levels yourself? If not, leave it there, or lower your targets. If so, good luck!

That's the cruel reality of all this. We're all busy, okay? Good.

I'd help someone with graphics.... only if they're doing a DOOM mod with a violent cartoony theme. :p

make a level and when I go to play it a screen comes up after the DOOM95 loading is finished that says error music 125

A couple of suggestions:
1) Are you running the level through a nodebuilder, such as bsp?

2) Try using some other windows port to run the level, like ZDoom or Legacy.

I make a level and when I go to play it a screen comes up after the DOOM95 loading is finished that says error music 125.

Sounds like the kind of error you get if you use the wrong IWAD or try to play back a demo recorded with a source port...

Well, I'd be glad to help, but the only problem is I am a total editing newbie and have about 1/2 map finished so far. I don't totally suck, as it's okay for a first map, but if you want me to help don't be expecting masterpieces or anything.

And for the fun of it, would I like to join?

More projects than NiGHTMARE

No. I have infinite work already :|

I got someone named Joel who is good at making heck-themed levels. He can also work with DeHackEd and wintex, so I have at least 1 good level designer.

Also, today I came up with this really cool effect that makes a wall come down like a waterfall as you walk up to it. I couldn't get the sliding or swinging door to work right, so I tried a 3-way door. It didn't turn out how I expected, but I added a few more sectors to make it an 8-part door. Then I had a waterfall-door. It is very cool, and I think I might use it for an actual waterfall area (duh).

Everyone who has said they can do graphics, send me some samples of your best work (superloud4@aol.com). I especially need a hand holding a grenade (replacing the rocket launcher in episodes 4-6, which is a seperate WAD from 1-3)

Okay, can you make me the Enlisted Quarters level?

It contains sections from the originally planned levels Enlisted Quarters, Mess Hall, Recreation and Training Center, and Officers' Quarters.

If you want to make the level, please read up on them in the DOOM Bible on 5years.doomworld.com before doing anything.

By the way, the exit is near the monorail area. There is also a secret exit somewhere else in the monorail, leading to the Personal Storage level.

Thanks for wanting to help out!

Before I start, can I have a list of the other maps in the first episode and where this one would fit in? Also, is there a wad with replacement textures, sprites, etc?

Oh, and do you happen to have AIM? It's probably a lot easier to talk using that.

No replacement WAD is needed. There will eventually be a few new sprites and textures, but not yet.

The levels for episode 1 are:
Secondary Hangar (by me)
Secondary Supply Depot
Waste Processing Facility
Enlisted Quarters + Mess Hall (by Joel, another level designer)
Communications Tower
Power Plant
Main Supply Depot
Lab + Anomaly
SECRET: Personal Storage (by Joe, my friend)

Also, does anyone know how I could implement food into the levels? It would not effect the player, except it would stop enemies while they ate it so you could mow them down with a shotgun. You could lure imps into a room with them, so they would slow down for ya. I got this idea from someone on a New Doom forum. Does anyone know how I could do this?

My screen name on AIM is superloud4.

Well, whaddaya know. I forgot something else!

I started a message board on my website (resurrection666.8m.com), and anyone who has something else to say about Revisited should post it there.

Enlisted Quarters. It is a combination of the originally planned levels Enlisted Quarters, Mess Hall, Recreation and Workout Center, and Officers Quarters. The exit is at the monorail area, and a secret room in that area brings you to the Personal Storage level (by Joe)