Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TimeOfDeath

Eternal Memories 1 (16/32)

Download: EM116.zip (-complevel 9) Demos in zip

I'm trying to remake one area from all 32 maps in Eternal Doom 3 (eternall.wad) and then add them together to make a big map (and make each area it's own small map). I've played Eternal Doom a lot in the past (and map01-17, 31-32 a couple months ago for a casual play) and I'm remaking the areas all from my memory (like in Creaphis' Mapping From Memory project). More details in the text file. All credits to Team TNT for Eternal Doom.

MAP01-14 are the small maps
MAP33 is the big map

DEMO RECORDING WARNING: maps might be changed in the final release

Edit: I don't have internet at my place

After playing first two maps I said to myself "am I really that good?" Well, I managed to finish them (not on the first try). Then I had my ass kicked in MAP03. I didn't like the original MAP03, so I jumped directly into MAP07, one of my favourites (my favourite would be MAP28). Heh, the beginning was pretty intense :) I admit never seeing before a start with imps around and a rocket launcher. Well, here's my 20th attempt or so demo (above 4 minutes):

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/21860805/em1-lv7.lmp

So far I like a lot the nostalgia trip and being able to recognize from where you "borrowed" some areas and rooms. Sometimes even the monsters are the same as in the original (hell knights in pits in MAP02). Nevertheless, the gameplay is kinda... let's say I'd love to see lower difficulty levels implemented (didn't check it, but judging from the monster count on MAP07, there are none).

EDIT: finished MAP09 as well. I hate slaughtermaps, so you can be proud of yourself: I enjoyed this one! BTW, if Chris Couleur saw this "interpretation" of his map... Time: 11:22 (yeah, it sucks)
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/21862175/em1-lv09.lmp

Fun maps. 9 can be easier if you don't shoot at the start to leave monsters dormant (probably not the fastest route, so such an 'exploit' might not matter for speed).

It seems tricky to build nodes or whatever correctly for huge maps (33).

In a nut shell: Fragments of Eternal todified :P into slaughter based maps.

Very short, intense and enemies appear in hordes. Certain fights are tough as nails, 04 takes the hat for invoking the most aggravation, 09 was the most interesting strategy wise - bombarded from every angle in claustrophobic surroundings. Can be perceived as repetitive depending on your taste, species tend to appear seperately, combat expects good reflexes, dodging and manoeuvering between groups in tight areas in some cases.

Slightly aggravated that Eternal's soundtrack was not included with it's grand atmosphere and immersion. Took the liberty of adding it myself, it's a key element of Eternal and would be butchered with it's absense.

Interesting remake nonetheless.

New version with MAP11: EM1a.zip

MAP11

Thanks guys, and thanks for the demos vdgg (I'll watch them when I get back to my place).

Some stuff:
- Eternal music will be added (sorry for forgetting)
- I hope I don't run into problems with node building for map33. I had problems with tom19 map15, so I deleted a bunch of sidedefs until it would save (I dunno if that's the same sort of problem you mean, but there shouldn't be that many sidedefs in map33, probably not even 20000)
- I added the small maps to help practice each "stage" for map33. I wanted each stage to be "challenging" and stuff, but I didn't want it to be too hard so that making a demo for map33 would take hella attempts.
- In map33, when you finish all stages, you'll get an infinite ammo bfg, and archviles and cybers will teleport into all 32 stages, and you get to go through each stage and kill them all over again with the infinite ammo bfg. The cybers and viles are going to replace the zombieman and the nazi, and the clip ammo will be replaced with a megasphere, so that they will drop a megasphere when they die.

For map09 I do this, I dunno if it's the best way or whatever:

- don't shoot, drop down and press switch, go down stairs and grab the cell ammo, then grab the plasma gun, then go up the stairs and kill the archviles.

I really enjoy your levels. This is a great idea too. I just can't seem to figure out how to beat map 08, or whichever one has all the archies in the central lift. Anyway, keep up the good work!

Something like this might be fun to do with mm, or mm2 as well ;)

@Doomhero85: It's map08, tricks and traps, just finished it in 12s. I guess that will help you.

Played some maps, the first map reminded me of squares they were fun as long as I could handle it :-)

TimeOfDeath said:

- In map33, when you finish all stages, you'll get an infinite ammo bfg, and archviles and cybers will teleport into all 32 stages, and you get to go through each stage and kill them all over again with the infinite ammo bfg. The cybers and viles are going to replace the zombieman and the nazi, and the clip ammo will be replaced with a megasphere, so that they will drop a megasphere when they die.

That's gonna be made of kick assery. Maybe the infinite bfg gun pickup sprite could be tinted red (as well as its plasma balls) so its obvious you're picking up a special bfg instead of just another normal bfg.

MAP11 was sadistically brilliant! A real blood frenzy, I can see you playtested it very well as I initially thought the ammunition and Megaspheres were in over abundance. Then I smiled at the 2 twists towards the end, unfortunately I didn't anticipate the pests near the exit and left myself with too little rocket ammo to clear them all. Made sure to finish every single cell round before dashing for the exit :)

Terrific slaughter fights so far TOD, I enjoy fights which require the player to devise strategies before hand to survive the inexorable odds. 09 and 11's format in particular vaguely reminds me of Erik Alm's Xtreme, in that your going to get mutilated however victory is obtainable if you can see the deliberately layed out battle plan required.

A refreshing return to Eternal without the annoyance of it's cryptic puzzles.

DoomHero85 said:

I just can't seem to figure out how to beat map 08, or whichever one has all the archies in the central lift.

Just requires patience, don't step onto the central platform till everything else is dead, then after waking them it's a case of hiding behind the pillars and taking pot shots.

Here are max demos for map01-11: em1ademos.zip

More stuff:
- the normal bfg will appear in map15 (probably), then you'll get the infinite ammo bfg after map30
- there might be two or three versions of map33. The main version will be map33 with the infinite ammo bfg at the end and the cybers/viles teleporting into all the stages. Map34 won't have the infinite ammo bfg and cybers/viles won't teleport into all the stages. Map35 will be the same as map34, except an infinite ammo bfg will be at the start of the first stage.

(my favourite would be MAP28)

I'm not very familiar with map28 at all because I played eternall the most on ZDaemon coop servers, and map28 is terrible in coop (when a player walks out of the start room, the door closes and all player starts are blocked by the door). :(

BTW, if Chris Couleur saw this "interpretation" of his map...

I hope the Eternal Doom mappers don't hate me for doing this.

Maybe the infinite bfg gun pickup sprite could be tinted red (as well as its plasma balls) so its obvious you're picking up a special bfg instead of just another normal bfg

Cool idea, ok I'll make the pickup sprite reddish (and maybe 2x the size, just to be funny). Myk said you can't have two different colors for the bfg ball (unless you want to replace the rockets or plasma gun balls with another bfg ball), plus I think the green balls look better than the reddish ones I did. Btw, you can see/use the infinite ammo bfg by doing IDKFA and using the chainsaw.

Cool thanks, I'll watch them when I get back to my place. I haven't been online since my last post, since I don't have internet at my place. :(

Here's a new version with MAP15 and difficulty settings: EM115.zip

MAP15

Just watched your demos for maps 04 and 11 (yes, I'm kinda late, I watched the shorter ones about 2 weeks ago). I'm not going to touch this bitch of a map - MAP11 on skill 4 :) Luckily there are lower skills implemented now.

Anyway, MAP04 is very, very complicated. Am I exaggerating when saying that it's even more complicated than the original (Nucleus)? Some strange switch hunting sequences, and the crate section in the end, oh my!

MAP11 seems the best so far - the best as an Eternal imitation (I wish I had such a "layout memory") and the demo was the funniest to watch - the height differences produce some interesting fight situations, such as firing rockets when falling. The level looks complicated, as well. This time not as much as the original which took me ages to finish.

And I really like the fact (hey, I'm not into slaughters, you remember? so you all may ignore my point of view) that there's no BFG yet. We are used to think that Ultimate Doom monsters require a shotgun, maybe a chaingun, while 20 arch-viles and 50 revenants need a BFG. Paradoxically, I think it is the opposite :) 2002ADO had BFG in E2M3 or E3M7 and while it was not necessary for those imps, barons and sergeants, it did liven up things in those maps. Here there are tons of monsters and lack of BFG looks really cool. If I remember well, Scythe2 MAP27 had no BFG on UV - and I liked it; the only drawback can be a long playing time.

Yeah, for MAP04 I think there's a yellow key in the acid room with the spiders, but instead I put a megasphere and line that you have to cross so you can access the crate room at the end (since I don't want to use keys in map33). And the crate room is different from the Eternal section. I think in eternall that lift takes you to a supercharge, but I ended up making a small crate room puzzle just for kicks. I really like the MAP11 layout (that's why I chose that area). I think in the demo I rocket jumped off a lift by accident while it was raising heh. I hope you're not mad, but the BFG is in MAP15 and the rest of the maps will be BFG maps. :) :(
A couple of summers ago I played eternall over and over on Spearhead's ZDaemon coop server with people or alone and that really helped to learn and memorize the maps.

Here's a new version with MAP31: EM116.zip

All of the demos in this thread have been added to the zip and I added max demos for map12,13,14,15, and 31 and a speed for 31. Thanks for recording demos vdgg and ggg, they're fun to watch. :)

MAP31

Still no internet. I miss reading all the Doomworld threads! :(

Curious to know why the latest incarnation has MAP33 place you in a completely new area rather then the start of MAP01? The main problem being I can't proceed getting stuck at the Megasphere with the green torch.

Bloodite - sorry about that. I started making map32 but didn't finish it (I make new maps in map33 and move the player start to test them, then I delete all the other sectors when the map is done and save it as map32, for example). Last month I played map33 from the beginning with the infinite ammo bfg but prboom-plus crashed on me in the map15 stage with one of those "exit on signal 11" errors or whatever. I don't know when I'll make more maps for this. Trying to remember all these maps and put them together in my head is kinda hard.