Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathevokatioN

Last Doom Wad you played

In the last few days, I played the following...

Death Tormention 3
CRESTFALLEN (never had this much trouble taking down 30 monsters in my life, quite a badass level!)

I'm on Phobos Massacre right now, another E1 replacement which kinda snuck in unnoticed on the archives recently, pretty great so far... blew my expectations away as I get further and further into it, good looking architecture and fun fights are what this wad is all about. The only flaw is that it was only tested Zdoom.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16100

Squane

Simply slaughter map placing you within a symmetrical arena with a legion of Cybers located near the outer ring of the inner area and resistance perched on towers and walls near the outskirts. Gameplay revolves around waiting for the Caco/PE swarm to emerge from their alcoves, passing the time by grabing the nearby RL placed precariously near the Cybers and clearing away the Arachnotrons/Revenants on the outskirts. No cause for concern as the platforms provide near impenetrable cover with an abundance of ammo and megaspheres located in close ratio, no matter your location.

Then the BFG becomes accessible along with the Invuls if you keep a perceptive eye, clearing away the hordes becomes a breeze with the generous inclusion of Invuls and the amount of health available. The enjoyment stemmed from the relentless chaos but otherwise the lack in challenge caused it to falter.

Murderous Intent

Conventional and obscure 7 level endurance test, with a key emphasis on strategic monster placement and cramped environments to create a tough but balanced challenge. Plays like Plutonia on steroids with AV's and Zombies being the common threat, ammo shortages can occur early on if your not willing to provoke infighting, Archviles are often placed in frustrating areas but also hidden amongst the architecture.

Begins to get ludicrous and annoying at 04 with very crafty use of Archviles. A fine example of how to create challenging maps with an average monster count but not recommended for the casual player.

Bloodite Krypto - the wad you linked to for Squane was the generic rocketjumping map ToD replaced all his idgames entries with a few months ago. The real Squane can be found on DSDA.

And somehow I never got around to try it, too. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Edit : ah, Zdoom map. Bummer.

Played through Ultimate DooM, awesome stuff. Hail Satan. And then played through the first episode of Heretic on the hardest difficulty, also fucking awesome stuff, gonna carry on playing through it now. Hail D'sparil.

It seems like both these games have aged better than most 3d games have, a Heretic level looks much more beautiful than a Modern Warefare level does, and also plays better. And where games like the first Sacred feel dated as hell, DooM hasn't aged one bit.

Ah thanks Phml :) Odd I made such a silly error. All of TOD's maps can be acquired with ease on his archive

Dinner

Woah! Obscure and very impressive E2 replacement. Excellent non-linear design combined with tricky and unexpected traps maintaining a fairly rough difficulty curve throughout despite the oldschool style. Nevermind the detail the gameplay is top notch and inspirational for 1996, some of the most devious uses of barrels aswell. A personal thank you to the GreenHerring for his playthrough which lead me to it's discovery.

The Classic Episode II

Charismatic retro episode with more than meets the eye. Terrific use of traps and fast paced gameplay while employing it's own style of design and mimicing E1's architecture. Manages to be nostalgic and still challenging.

I also liked Dinner. I really need to get around to playing Jan's episodes. I love what individual levels of his I've gone thru.

I also went thru DOT and Drip feed lately, just to bring absolutely no new content to the thread :P

I played a little bit of Scythe 2 co-op splitscreen on Legacy with my son today. Drawback is he's only 4 so he easily gets lost and sulks when he dies.

"How do we get out of this most beautiful castle in the world?" was his comment on MAP02.

Managed to beat Hell Revealed 1 with Aeons of Death, currently playing Hell Revealed 2 with Aeons of Death.

Super Jamie said:

You are the best parent in the world :D

Ha, I do question my ethics when he squeals with glee at a Cyberdemon exploding but what can you do when you have no Doom fans to co-op with you? You produce one, that's what you do!

It was fun playing through E1 with him actually. His panic at the lights going out on E1M3 and managing to fall into the inescapable nukage every time on the same map reminded me of my first play through all those years ago.

Just played through the first two maps of Dinner, and it's brilliant. Cheers for bringing that up, Bloodite Krypto. That barrel trap in M2 had me. Not a very nice trap, hehe. Gonna carry on playing through it tonight.

Played facepalm.wad, I had to listen to 2 full albums after it to get the annoying tune out of my head. And I got so (un)inspired that I made a sequel. But luckily I got ahold of myself before I uploaded it.

purist said:

Drawback is he's only 4 so he easily gets lost and sulks when he dies.

_________ ______   ______   _______  ______  
\__   __/(  __  \ (  __  \ (  ___  )(  __  \ 
   ) (   | (  \  )| (  \  )| (   ) || (  \  )
   | |   | |   ) || |   ) || |   | || |   ) |
   | |   | |   | || |   | || |   | || |   | |
   | |   | |   ) || |   ) || | /\| || |   ) |
___) (___| (__/  )| (__/  )| (_\ \ || (__/  )
\_______/(______/ (______/ (____\/_)(______/ 

Played one of 40oz's birthday wads and it was pretty good!

Also started playing Requiem again, and all I can say is that it's fucking awesome. Even enjoying the base maps, because a lot of them seem to have a lot of hellish features and interesting unrealistic architecture to keep them interesting, rather than boring and realistic.

@Mr.T: Can you have one player in God mode and the other player not in Legacy split screen co-op? I might try that next time if you can.

I can remember doing something to that effect, but I haven't used Legacy since about 2004. I think you have to enable the cheats THEN splitscreen mode, and you will then have cheats for player1.

purist said:

I played a little bit of Scythe 2 co-op splitscreen on Legacy with my son today. Drawback is he's only 4 so he easily gets lost and sulks when he dies.

"How do we get out of this most beautiful castle in the world?" was his comment on MAP02.

Hide Quake from him, we can't lose him this young!

An early megawad I somehow have missed, Cleimos 2. This is the short review I posted on /idgames:

Overall this is great. Some very original gameplay ideas, especially puzzles, which can be frustratingly tricky to solve at times, and yet I enjoyed even the second to last level which is the hardest to figure out. Still, there are far too many normal walls that turn out to be doors etc. Even with some obvious flaws and some poor maps, this certainly is an early classic. Recommended. I couldn't get the wad extracted properly from these zips here btw, and was forced to find a proper wad file elsewhere.

chris_k.wad

Good Doom 1 styled maps. Chris Klie isn't a fabulous mapper but his maps leave a lot for the imagination and give me a lot of inspiration. It's also a great reminder of the things I value in early 90's mapping.

Last wad I played? Hell Revealed 2 with Scoredoom. (Add-on pack included)

Currently, I'm in map17 I think. (I beat the two secret levels, and MAN was playground brutal with No-Infighting mode)

Edit: Make that Map24, Inmost Dens III.

During the past 2 weeks, I've been playing a Skulltag wad call "Whodunit". Its a unique survival mode that pits players in a mansion with one player being the murderer and the rest are innocents(murdererer is pick at random). Its a neat concept and very addictive to me.

More info here since I don't feel like typing up every single detail about it.