Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

2002ado ep4 music

Another topic which may or may not belong to WADs & Mods.

I don't have doom.exe executable and I noticed that in episode 4 the music tracks played on maps are different in PrBoom+ 2.5.0.x and in ZDoom 2.4.1. For example, in E4M6 a track from E2M4 is played in PrBoom and from E2M5 in ZDoom.

Which behaviour is "correct"?
What are the reasons?

The differences occur because the MAPINFO defines a different soundtrack for the fourth episode. I can only assume this is the intended one.

Of course, there's also a level (meant to be*) exclusive to ZDoom (E5M1) and an additional secret exit which only works properly in ZDoom (E2M4). Why these were put in an ostensibly "limit-removing" WAD (which implies any limit-removing port, or "limited source port" as the readme puts it, not just ZDoom,) I'm not sure.

* Of course, you can play it if you add -warp 5 1 when running doom.exe from the command line. However, the sky will be replaced with the AASTINKY texture, and finishing the level crashes the game with "wbs->epsd=4 in wi_stuff.c:1136".

The Green Herring said:

The differences occur because the MAPINFO defines a different soundtrack for the fourth episode. I can only assume this is the intended one.

The obvious reason why it's limited to ZDoom is the strange way Doom originally selected E4's music. It can't be altered without altering other levels' music

Of course, there's also a level (meant to be*) exclusive to ZDoom (E5M1) and an additional secret exit which only works properly in ZDoom (E2M4). Why these were put in an ostensibly "limit-removing" WAD (which implies any limit-removing port, or "limited source port" as the readme puts it, not just ZDoom,) I'm not sure.

The reason for the bonus level? Actually quite simple. E2M4 was apparently meant to be E2M5 and got shuffled around later but the secret exit wasn't removed. It's quite obvious, actually. The M4 secret exit has a Heretic look as has E2M9 so this was clearly the intended progression. So the first release had 2 secret exits in E2 but only one secret map. And for the re-release they just added a ZDoom-exclusive super-secret map. Needless to say with most other ports being unable to change level transitions not much could be done for them...

Graf Zahl said:

The obvious reason why it's limited to ZDoom is the strange way Doom originally selected E4's music. It can't be altered without altering other levels' music

Indeed, and I've known about this for a while. They were really cutting corners, weren't they?

Graf Zahl said:

The reason for the bonus level? Actually quite simple. E2M4 was apparently meant to be E2M5 and got shuffled around later but the secret exit wasn't removed. It's quite obvious, actually. The M4 secret exit has a Heretic look as has E2M9 so this was clearly the intended progression. So the first release had 2 secret exits in E2 but only one secret map. And for the re-release they just added a ZDoom-exclusive super-secret map. Needless to say with most other ports being unable to change level transitions not much could be done for them...

I knew that the texturing was similar — which was why you suggested the secret exit definitions be swapped for the latest version — but I didn't know that was, in fact, what they intended. Interesting to know!

Incidentally, the exit definitions for the secret levels themselves weren't changed in the latest version as well, so E2M9 goes to E2M6 (as usual) and E5M1 goes to E2M5. Which means you can skip E2M5 by going from E2M4 to E2M9 and finishing it, you can play E2M5 and E5M1 over and over again in an endless loop (which necessitated a patched version for ScoreDoom,) and you cannot reach both secret levels in a single run. Somehow, I'm not sure that was intentional.

To be honest I like how the songs are selected in nonZDoom Episode 4 2002ADO. The sad music of E3M3 really fits cramped and very hard E4M3. Better than using that Heretiquesque E2M9 music :P

Also, sky consistency.