Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Doom 2: Fullmetal Alchemist Mod idea

Do you know Fullmetal Alchemist? It's a great and worldwide famous manga and anime series. In my opinion, one of the best anime series of the world. And Doom my favourite game.

So I have an idea an FMA mod for Doom 2. Hexen, Strife source codes and ZDoom itself (of course) add many-many-many new features, which if the mapper use, he or she can make brilliant things (like Stronghold, or Community is Fallin' 3).

My ideas:

In the mod, you can play with Edward Elric. There are many hubs, which similar to Strife hub system. You get missions, and instructions. if you follow that, you can see all the story of the anime. the most important scenes of the anime may be animated from the series (I already saw perfect animations in Invasion Unleased: Anime Mansion secret level...but it was a very different thing **), but if it's possible, the scenes recorded the characters Doom thing format (like Macil and others in Strife, or the generals in Super Sonic Doom). And of course you can speak with the characters, you can earn money, you can move in an other town/city by train (where you must pay for the ticket), etc.

Sadly, it'll be idea, if somebody won't start a project like this, because I really, really don't understand these serious things (text message in the middle of the screen, cameras, scenes, dialogs, adding new features, etc.), I'm just a simple guy...

If you don't know this anime: you may play it an anime adaptation WAD like this idea?
If you know the anime: what do you think about this idea?

Thanks for reading my (dumb?) idea,
Katamori

This would be a really bad idea. Now, I love FMA just like anyone else does (the original story at least, the first anime was meh), but just trying to imagine how you'd play Edward in a FPS is a wtf. You'd pretty much only have melee attacks and some really, really akward alchemy traps which wouldn't be fun at all. It's the supporting cast who had any attacks/skills/weapons that could translate well to a FPS, but even they would be really limited (Think of Roy, for example, you can shoot fire and...shoot fire, yeah, that's really fun for a whole game).

Bottom line, FMA can't work as a FPS, maybe it could be butchered into an action platformer or a fighting game (I'd be surprised if it hasn't been yet), but that's it.

Jodwin said:

This would be a really bad idea. Now, I love FMA just like anyone else does (the original story at least, the first anime was meh), but just trying to imagine how you'd play Edward in a FPS is a wtf. You'd pretty much only have melee attacks and some really, really akward alchemy traps which wouldn't be fun at all. It's the supporting cast who had any attacks/skills/weapons that could translate well to a FPS, but even they would be really limited (Think of Roy, for example, you can shoot fire and...shoot fire, yeah, that's really fun for a whole game).

Bottom line, FMA can't work as a FPS, maybe it could be butchered into an action platformer or a fighting game (I'd be surprised if it hasn't been yet), but that's it.

(off: yes, the first anime wasn't the best, I think it too)

I think a lot for the weapons, and in my opinion, putting real guns (e.g. automail transmutate into a Thompson machine gun, or anything similar; Ed takes weapons from the Army, like Hawkeye's pistols; etc.) is a good idea. For melee fight adding 3-4 "weapons" (fist, automail blade, kick, for example) is enough. Alchemy tranmutations need a lot of things, decorates, maybe sector variating too, which is unmakeable.
But in my opinion, the right use of DECORATES, may create various and beautyful attack forms for Mustang.

(OFF: e.g. in episode 54, before he met with Envy, Mustang attacks something weird homunculis with a long chain of fire rings... in my opinion it's makeable with decorates, but i don't know)

I haven't read the manga or seen the new Anime series, "The Brotherhood," but I do very much love the first Anime series for "Fullmetal Alchemist." I can safely say it's probably my number one favorite anime title, and I can very safely say Doom is probably the only game I give a crap about.

However, a FMA/Doom crossover seems...wrong. FMA is great, Doom is great, but the two shouldn't meet. They're too different in terms of plot and characters and "weapons." Doom is more action/adventure--kill the demons with bad ass weapons, save the world/planet/yourself/whatever. FMA is a complex mixture of drama, action, comedy, slight romance, and some mystery. It poses moral questions, philosophical ones, and scientific ones. It's way too intricate and complicated to be formated into a Doom WAD. There's just too much there.

I dunno...maybe I'm wrong and I'm talking out of my ass, but I just don't think a FMA Doom 2 Mod would work.

fullmetalvaran33 said:

I haven't read the manga or seen the new Anime series, "The Brotherhood," but I do very much love the first Anime series for "Fullmetal Alchemist." I can safely say it's probably my number one favorite anime title, and I can very safely say Doom is probably the only game I give a crap about.

However, a FMA/Doom crossover seems...wrong. FMA is great, Doom is great, but the two shouldn't meet. They're too different in terms of plot and characters and "weapons." Doom is more action/adventure--kill the demons with bad ass weapons, save the world/planet/yourself/whatever. FMA is a complex mixture of drama, action, comedy, slight romance, and some mystery. It poses moral questions, philosophical ones, and scientific ones. It's way too intricate and complicated to be formated into a Doom WAD. There's just too much there.

I dunno...maybe I'm wrong and I'm talking out of my ass, but I just don't think a FMA Doom 2 Mod would work.

In my opinion it's possible. I forgot to say, but in my plans I think the ALL series in the game -> all scenes and quotes for the anime (e.g. Brotherhood), words by words all and the same...

in this style Doom and FMA should meet, I think

doomero-21 said:

do you have the resources? think that first before planning a wad. I know that anime is very cool.

I've never made this idea. I'm a too "little man" for this gigantic idea... like if one person want to make the all Stronghold: on the edge of chaos

What the hell. I supposed Katamori to be normal, but he got a bit more eager than necessary in this thread. Sorry, but what you're doing is getting even sillier. Stop, please.

Cell said:

What the hell. I supposed Katamori to be normal, but he got a bit more eager than necessary in this thread. Sorry, but what you're doing is getting even sillier. Stop, please.

I just try to composite for my ideas.

But others, if it's true, which cell said, I'm sorry

While Fullmetal Alchemist is one of my favorite manga/anime series, the idea of making a Doom mod out of it sounds too atrocious to me.

Cell said:

There is nothing silly about thinking of an idea for a mod and deciding to share it in the Wads & Mods section. What would be silly is if he had started a thread trying to recruit mappers for an ambitious project in which he made no progress of his own. However, that is not the case so I don't see the problem.

On-topic though, I generally agree that Full-metal alchemist probably wouldn't translate very well into an FPS. If you can think of a creative way to treat it as something other then an FPS in the doom engine, then it might work.