Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redhead

Question about installing/playing wads

Hello , everybody !
I will ask the question , risking to be called a moron ... Anyway , I downloaded some newdoom maps and community chest 1,2, and 3 , but I just couldn't install them properly . I tried to install some of the Doom mega wads , also no result . Obviously I am doing something wrong . I really tried everything , and I would appreciate any kind of help .Thanks !

1) Please read the FAQ; in particular, please give your threads descriptive titles. I've edited this one's title for you.

2) What do you mean by "install"? Nearly all Doom mods made within the past 10 or so years can be played by dragging and dropping the WAD file onto a compatible source port.

Check the included txt file with the wad you're playing to see if it lists a particular source port requirement; if no port requirement is listed, chances are you'll be able to run it in any of the commonly-used modern ports, such as PrBoom-Plus, ZDoom, Eternity, Doomsday, or EDGE. (There are others, but I'm not listing them all. :P)

Try out some source ports, if you haven't already, and find which one(s) you prefer. They all take the game in somewhat different directions and specialize in different things.

It's always good to hear someone new looking to play Doom. The above is all sound advice; stick with the guidance of the experienced players here and you'll be Doomin' in no time!

redhead said:

I downloaded some newdoom maps and community chest 1,2, and 3

I suppose the question has to be asked - what are you trying to play them with? You'll need at minimum the Doom2.wad plus a limit-removing and/or Boom compatible source port (I'd install all the ports esselfortium mentioned) since Doom2.exe and Doom95 will be struggling - and often fail - to play those wads.