Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

Epic 2 [released]

Great job.
I did some testing today with EPIC2_B2.WAD:

MAP04 Sector 117 has unecessary tag (14)
MAP08 Missing texture on line 729
MAP13 2 secrets right next to each other sectors 85 and 86
MAP14 Sectors 274, 279 have unecessary tags
MAP16 No sector has tag 38 (monster teleport)
MAP18 Line 196 is marked with an action but no sector with tag 47
MAP19 Missing texture on line 2348
MAP20 Lines 1920, 1923, 1924 have WR open door (49), no sector with tag 49
MAP31 Sector 236 has unecessary tag (19)

Approx 90 flats not used, approx 200 textures not used.

Hitherto said:
What picture is look better?

Neither is perfect, but water has the quality of taking colors from the surroundings. While the flat from DOOM is of better quality, the one in the first shot has a much better coloration for the picture due to the sky tones. The first one just needs a new waterfall texture to go with the new water flat.

I have not played it much yet, but I liked it so far. The levels have a really nice atmosphere, but sadly the water texture significantly ruins it.

I made some different water textures for comparison:

Brightened Doom FWATER and Plutonia's WFALL:

Unmodified Scythe 2 water flat:

Modified Scythe 2 water flat:

Xtroose said:
Brightened Doom FWATER and Plutonia's WFALL:

That's proper.

Just did some playing. Overall it looks very good - with the exception of that inexplicably hideous water flat. That thing looks so amateurishly bad in action that it brings the whole thing down a notch - so I can only strongly advise to change it.

And solely for laughs I was checking out the main menu with other ports.

What had me almost rolling, was that Remood's pitiful standard font menu gets totally broken by the tall M_DOOM patch. And that menu was supposedly implemented to 'prevent PWADs from breaking it' EPIC fail, I'd say... (not for this WAD but for the menu, of course! :D)

(At least the other ports which alter the menu layout only looked bad but still worked...)

I agree with myk; the brightened Doom water flat looks pretty good. Well, all three are better than what's currently being used at least :P

please change the sand flat because small piggies do suicide because of it

Edit: maybe use the sand flat from Powerslave / Exhumed
You can see it here

It is the one shown in the screenshot.

DoomHero85 said:

I like the modified Scythe 2 water the best myself. It has the best design overall IMO.

I like it, but not so much in this setting. While the Doom palette's blues inevitably make the bright water look like 2000 Flushes, I think the brightened Doom water as seen in Xtroose's first shot fits the color scheme of the scene the best, of the available options.

Agreed with Torn about the sand, though. Something tan with a few soft waves and lumps with just a bit of noise to give it texture would look far more convincing and appropriate, I think. This looks more like dayglo carpet.

The water should flow. All doom/scythe/plutonia water textures you suggested are unsuitable. Post better animated water with flow here.

Or at least post ready-for-using pwad with water you like for quick comparison.

I've quickly listened through all the midi lumps from the credited wads, none of them use the track that's used for MAP01 in Epic 2, therefore it is entirely uncredited. As I said, it's from Daggerfall and composed by Eric Heberling.

entryway said:

The water should flow. All doom/scythe/plutonia water textures you suggested are unsuitable. Post better animated water with flow here.

Everyone has been talking about the water flat since the start. It seems now that instead of changing what people have said for many posts is a design issue, you have shot down every suggestion.. why even post this, knowing you would get feedback on that, if you're simply going to dismiss everything?

BlazingPhoenix said:

Are you seriously trying to force us to make a wad to replace that water texture? :|

If it comes to that, then ... yes.

entryway said:

If Eternal does end up using that water flat, at least he should change the waterfall, as it's too dark in comparison.

People like me who use low res and software mode are the least affected by the simpler water texture, but for those using higher screen res and especially hi res resources, the contrast is pretty extreme.

The DOOM water flat does flow, in any case. In Entryway it's flowing from the wall to the grassy area when looking out at the mid-point of the surrounding wall, for example.

I like the water texture in this wad.

If you need a specific reason, then it does actually look like flowing water (note that this doesn't show up in screenshots). Frankly, I never realized that Doom's water texture was even meant to be water until I used some old version of jDoom and it made an odd splashing sound when I walked on map02's animated blue carpet stuff. :p

I am not a fan of the sounds. they are inconsistent. having a deep evil growl sound along with the stock zombie growls sounds cheap and 1995. the stone moving sounds are ok, though.

myk said:

People like me who use low res and software mode are the least affected by the simpler water texture, but for those using higher screen res and especially hi res resources, the contrast is pretty extreme.

Probably. In addition, I suppose that LCD panels also may make difference in perception of sharpness. Eternal, entryway and I are still using the CRTs.

Hitherto said:

Probably. In addition, I suppose that LCD panels also may make difference in perception of sharpness. Eternal, entryway and I are still using the CRTs.

How? I found doom in the day on my CRT just as blocky as it is now on my LCD.

that being said, this water texture doesn't look good in huge areas, not jsut that start area. it looks like paint to me. :(

hawkwind said:

To fix change the floor height of sector 191 to -64.

??
already in beta3. for me this mechanism now works properly in doom, boom and zdoom.