Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

I'm more than happy to change the music for map3, I just don't have any suggestions myself, so if everyone else can agree on something then go for it.

I agree MAP03 (as well as some other maps) could use new music, but I'm not sure that Duke Nukem music is right - it's a bit monotone and repetitive. But if Melon likes it fair enough.

To be honest music is usually a pretty low priority for me but from reading this forum it's clear that original music is a real bonus for a lot of players. With that in mind it'd be great if one or some of the community musicians could lend their talent to the project. The problem is, with so many projects going on, musicians are spread thin at the moment so it may be more a case of midi-hunting.

Here's the newest version of progfic.wad including the updated MAP03, MAP28 and MAP29.

Melon, please try to keep me updated on how you're getting on with MAP30 at reasonable intervals so I know it's at some point going to get done. I'm starting to think A.Gamma has abandoned his mapslot (MAP24) as he's not updated for ages or replied to my PM.

That would be grand!

Here are the music requests so far. Pick whatever you fancy. Any help would be great.

Interpic music: The graphic for this is quite broody and foreboding.

That might give you some inspiration. Otherwise you could make it similar to the IWAD music with your own twist. Another idea I had was a Doomy jingle - kind of like what they have at the end of soap episodes etc, since the levels serve as chapters in the story - though it might be hard to do this without being cheesy!

MAP29: I'm useless at picking music for my maps so it would be cool if someone could make something purpose built. It's quite a large city-themed level with a med-high monster count. The story for the map starts with the protagonist escaping back to Earth from Hell only to discover it has been destroyed by the demons. With this in mind the music should probably start bleakly to match the player's horrible realisation, but quickly ascend into something more punchy and rocky to suit the gameplay of the level. If you're not interested in making this, I'd appreciate even a suggestion of an existing midi you feel fits the bill.

MAP20: I'm not too unhappy with the original Doom 2 music for this map but it would freshen the map up to have new music. This is a fast paced, panic ridden boss map. It's theme is a UAC lab that's been taken over by a hellish organism that spawns monsters and cannot be killed directly - only by killing the hadephobics it holds captive. I'd like the music to start otherworldly and get increasingly chaotic as it proceeds.

MAP21: A creepy, walls-are-closing-in kind of feeling for this one, to go with the fact the map is mostly very closed in hallways. The story has the player entering Hell for the first time.

MAP31: A dark but fast track, similar to MAP02 of TNT (which is what I'm currently using) but not as grating and a lot more sinister. This map is in an armoury overran by Hell. The story has the player going there on a rescue mission responding to a distress call from two marines.

MAP03: This map is set in a sewer and is quite casual to play through. In the story has the player using the sewer system to escape a building invaded by demons. Obviously the player discovers the sewer is also infested.

All of these maps are in progfic.wad. I linked to the latest version 2 posts up.

I'm sure other mappers attached to the project would want new music, in which case they should post details here. For now there's enough here already to get your teeth into :-)

Sure guys, make my conveniences even tougher. I gotta remove Mionic's place from the graveyard since - despite two mapslot attempts - he actually did nothing in the project (or did he in terms of graphic or anything???), and I'd still owe two for PRIMEVAL and Mithran Denizen as long as they agreed with.

My advice to you is concentrate on getting the level playing well before fretting over fine details. With 6 maps unfinished and potential further contributions from artists, musicians and playtesters the credit list is not set in stone by any means.

purist said:

Melon, please try to keep me updated on how you're getting on with MAP30 at reasonable intervals so I know it's at some point going to get done.

Updates are a thing I can do.

So I was initially struggling with ideas for what might make a nice final level. I feel that MAP29 wrapped it up nicely, you come back to Earth but uhoh it's invaded, time to escape! Then Doomguy blasts his way through a tough level to a spaceship. I was thinking to myself, how do I wrap this up in a way that's not a narrative cop-out such as "suddenly, Doomguy gets transported back to hell for the final face-off between good and evil to destroy it once and for all"?

The good news is is that I know what I'm going to do now (no I'm not saying what it is :p) and I've been ironing out the technical wizardry behind the "gimmick" today. Tomorrow, the real mapping begins.

@Melon: That's intriguing. I didn't mean to close things off with my story. It was supposed to lead to the player fighting in the compound/building/spaceship. But I'm sure whatever you've got planned is a fitting finale. Don't forget to write the ending too.

@Malinku: Are you done with MAP17 now? Because, as you mention, there are a few things that could do with being added. Are you leaving it for someone else to finish??

@Everyone: I've still heard nothing from A.Gamma, which sadly probably means he's abandoned MAP24. I hope I'm wrong as I liked his MAP10 but it's been such a long time since he's even posted in this thread that I have to make that assumption.

Therefore I'm looking for volunteers to take MAP24. Post your interest here and I'll post the level info.

I think its a problem to say: "end once and for all" because of two things, the first is that there has already been several once and for all endings, and such and end doesnt fit in with all the other PWADS if you look at it as a universe :/

So don't try looking at all PWADs as a single universe. It's not like this'd be the first set of maps to diverge from (or conflict with) the sad excuse for plot that some other wad uses as its backdrop. Attempting to lump them all into one canon makes little sense.

Anyway, Melon used the phrase "suddenly, Doomguy gets transported back to hell for the final face-off between good and evil to destroy it once and for all" as an example of the sort of ending to avoid, so it's possible that something more interesting and original is already in the works.

D_GARG said:

I think its a problem to say: "end once and for all" because of two things, the first is that there has already been several once and for all endings, and such and end doesnt fit in with all the other PWADS if you look at it as a universe :/

Oh no, better start adding Illusio-Pits, imp sex and enormous monstrous vaginas to keep continuinity with other PWADs!

In seriousness, I don't think any PWADs are made with consistency for anything other than possibly the IWADs in mind (excepting when they are a sequel of course). Hadephobia takes place shortly after Doom II and doesn't even include the Final Doom megawads in it's universe.

@Melon: I forgot to mention - Nobody's used the Wolfenstein sprites so if you want to add a new enemy or suprise in any way to add spice to the finale you're welcome to use them or other unused resources.

I'd like to edit the Commander Keen sprites to suit my purposes for MAP20 but unless I can find an existing usable sprite my art skills will probably fail me.

purist said:

@Malinku: Are you done with MAP17 now? Because, as you mention, there are a few things that could do with being added. Are you leaving it for someone else to finish??

For the most part it is done. It just needs a bit of lighting and a few gameplay fixes. That I'm going to leave to who ever can finish them

purist said:

That would be grand!

Here are the music requests so far. Pick whatever you fancy. Any help would be great.

Interpic music: The graphic for this is quite broody and foreboding.

That might give you some inspiration. Otherwise you could make it similar to the IWAD music with your own twist. Another idea I had was a Doomy jingle - kind of like what they have at the end of soap episodes etc, since the levels serve as chapters in the story - though it might be hard to do this without being cheesy!

Let me start with this, I think I can cook up something within the next day or so.

Also, sorry for the late response, just got school stuff to do and other music related projects!

Malinku said:

For the most part it is done. It just needs a bit of lighting and a few gameplay fixes. That I'm going to leave to who ever can finish them

OK, I'll wait to see if anyone offers. If not I'll do it.

PRIMEVAL said:

Let me start with this, I think I can cook up something within the next day or so.

Also, sorry for the late response, just got school stuff to do and other music related projects!

Awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

didnt think of mock wads to be a part of that universe, but if you ignore time then you have some long jurneys such as schyte2 and alien vendetta.

those might be in higher quality than IDs doom series or equal

Oh gosh, it's already over a week since I said I'd take up map30, meaning that I didn't get the map done within a week like my other two maps did. With a sudden 32-in-24 tomorrow, I doubt it'll be done by the end of the weekend either.

Today I was reminded the hard way that map30 lets all monsters telefrag. Gonna have to go easy on those teleporting monsters.

Happy birthday PFCP!

I wanted to get Map30 out in time for the year anniversary, I really did, but my time off work got pushed back off of this week to next week, so I ended up not having as much time to work on it as soon as I'd planned. On the plus side, I have the next week off so if the map isn't finished by this time next week, I'll eat my goddamn hat.

Well the project was announced a year to the day but didn't start until November 1st so you still have time :-)

Is it a good time for a progress update from NoneeLlama, magicsofa and Cell?

During this day, I've done several progress to MAP26, but still, I became fatigued earlier than realising it still needs a few work. If not that much, there are only few decorations all over, so not exactly an "Invaded Base" and/or "We've Massacred Everything That Ventured In" feeling it gives for instance. I'm still on to make myself into the worst self-forcings, but still, since I've recently become even more anaemic that I used to be, working is not easy at all for me. I can handle it, just be patient!

Vaporizer said:

I hate that hadephobic mirage picture Cell. It's cheesy as hell to go in a room where you see the Icon Of Sin in distance... and a text informing you it's a hadephobic mirage.

Your personal problem man.

I wouldn't put it as strongly as Vaporizer but I agree it's not to my taste. In Cell's defense I think it's intended as a secret so it can be thought of a an Easter egg rather a main part of the level.

Vaporizer said:

By the way, I've decided to detail MAP08 more. Make those ashwall areas more interesting and add more hellish influences (looks too clean right now.).

While you're here I wonder if you're still working on this?

In other news there's been a couple of minor updates to progfic.wad:

• PRIMEVAL has done some music for the intermission & MAP29
  • Grain of Salt has made a new SKY3 graphic
  • A.Gamma has re-appeared and is close to finishing MAP24
I will do some work on MAP17 to get it ready to go in the megawad and then will post a new beta. We're getting there, slowly. All maps are being worked on and judging by feedback are not too far off.

Here's map18: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R6DJQQFX (sorry about using megaupload, mediafire was being a bitch).
This is pretty much complete, but I admit, I haven't tested it at all, and since I raise the monster count and changed some stuff, it my have become problematic at places.

Also, what other maps need playtesting?

Downloaded. It feels like it's been a while since I playtested for this project. Any headline changes from the previous version I tested?

In terms of playtesting the whole mapset is still beta stage so start wherever you like, any feedback is very welcome. C30N9 and Melon were both going to do some playtesting but I think they've been too busy with Doom 64 editing and MAP30 respectively to be able to do any so far.

Alternatively, it would be especially useful if you could download Malinku's MAP17. It's the most complete map not yet in progfic.wad (possibly excepting your MAP18) but Malinku has asked someone else to finish it. I offered to tweak lighting, check for bugs, add a little more difficulty and re-work the outside exit area but I've not started so you're more than welcome to either playtest it to give me ideas or finish it yourself if you get inspired.

It's getting exciting now we're closing into the finishing stages of MAP17 & 18. We will have a clear run from MAP01 - MAP23 when they are in the .wad (providing the player doesn't take the alternative route at MAP15...)

purist said:

In terms of playtesting the whole mapset is still beta stage so start wherever you like, any feedback is very welcome. C30N9 and Melon were both going to do some playtesting but I think they've been too busy with Doom 64 editing and MAP30 respectively to be able to do any so far.

Sure thing I will. I got bored of mapping so I made the last map small, and still waiting for 2 mappers. It will be a fresh air after mapping.

I've played NoneeLlama's MAP18 and pending a cursory glance in Doombuilder I'm almost ready to post notes. C30N9, if you're still happy to playtest please can you do MAP28 to get a second opinion for me? I'm interested to see how a third party sees it compared to me.