Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
General Rainbow Bacon

Memories of Doom 2

TOD got the idea from me so I think that means you owe me money.

I tried your map. The first room is an interesting challenge, but then it gets bad. It seems like it wasn't ever playtested. Because the door to the room of revenants and cacodemons can be opened by monsters, there's a random chance that it'll be opened too soon, causing the player to accidentally alert all the monsters in there and be flooded with revenants that he doesn't have the ammo to kill. Then, since the archviles in that room aren't flagged "deaf" and since the room has no cover, the only safe way to dispose of those monsters is to lure them to the door and kill them in the hallway, which is unbearably tedious. I was put off at this point and didn't play any farther.

I played through it and... yeah, what Creaphis said, although it can be mitigated reliably by simply attacking fast the chaingunners/PEs with rockets before they get to open the door. The following fight (caco/rev horde + 2 archies) is complete bullshit though, either you camp at door for ages or... I'm not sure any strategy except camping would work without exceptional amounts of luck, actually. Rev fireballs and archies without cover, and too much monsters to be able to move, esp. as the cacos start high up they won't infight for a while.

Not having a backpack right by the start felt like you giving the player the middle finger, seeing as there's so many ammo boxes in cramped spaces - either restricting your movement further than it already is or wasting ammo. Then there's all that plasma ammo behind the hordes, at which point you never have to worry again about ammo in the map... The hitscanner/archie fight right after the red key is basically pointless as you're high up and can hide. The archies/HKs "ambush" a bit further doesn't add much either, you can only fall back and shoot, no real choice. Then finally there's that room with the mancubuses, arachnotrons and shit and... You flip the switch and archies start teleporting in, even though there's no cover and no armor/health around save for a few stimpacks. At which point I went "screw this" and stepped through the exit line.

It's really too cramped for spamming archies like that, especially with the lack of BFG. I'm sorry for being so negative but it looks like you're trying to emulate ToD's style without actually putting the effort he does into it (he playtests his maps a lot and it shows, even if it's often too hard for most of us it's always *fair*), and that's not the first time you release something that looks like it hasn't been playtested much if at all. You can't just make interesting fights by flipping a 20-sided die, picking two monster types based on the result, throwing hordes of these monsters and adding 2 or 3 archies right behind them.

Here's my FDA for reference, but it's really not very interesting.

Edit: Gave it another shot and I was wrong about the door, I forgot there's revenants that can open it too. So yeah, definitely needs to be fixed. Also didn't notice the soulsphere at the end so I guess there's enough health/armor... Except that you're fighting FOUR teleporting archviles with the only cover being the switch, and lots of monster corpses just waiting to be ressurected. In other words, hell no.

New version: Much better IMO. Just beat through it myself. I didn't change the final room at all though, do you guys think I should remove the archies from the final room? Sorry about forgetting to put a backpack in the start room. I meant to put one there in the first version :0

Edit: forgot to add the bfg :(

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3uh8ucbl2g7b5er/MemoriesD2_1.wad

Had one go through it, and indeed it is much better than what it used to be.

The architecture still doesn't lend itself to particulary interesting fights, and it's still very much a "clear room, move forward" affair, but at least now there's no frustrating stuff, it's an OKish map to play through once and have fun while doing so.

Edit : you added a BFG ? Now that might just be overkill, though it can also makes things more interesting by being faster. I'll try that last version before going to bed.

Yeah, I like the BFG better. It's not needed but along with the extra health it lets the player take a more aggressive, risky approach. Renders the final fight completely moots though, as one can simply stand still and spam to kill archies as they all come 1 by 1 from the same teleport. Having all 4 teleporting to different positions could be more interesting, but might be overwhelming for a first play. Maybe 2 and 2.

Yeah, I'll update this level a little more. And add another map, this time I'll playtest BEFORE I put it here and realize it sucks :0 Any areas from Doom 2 maps you want me to feature in the next one?