Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I will continue to report on the Boom version. It still may have relevance to the vanilla version ...

map 04 ...

Wrong floor flat for sector 242 ?

map 08 ...

1. Sectors 242, 74, 76 ( etc. X 3 ) , 238, 236 and 237 should not do damage ?
2. Sectors 263, 250 and 262 should not be flagged as secret.

map 09 ...

1. Lines 2064, 2065, 2066 and 2067 missing lower textures. Same for sector 187. This causes sky to render at the floor in glboom+, and the grass floor to render at the real floor of the sectors involved with Risen3D. Would be better to use self referencing sectors and control sectors to solve this issue with GL ports.

2. Many monsters stuck in each other. Check sectors 237, 238 etc.

I haven't looked at this but if the mapping quality is anything near what you've put in Reverie (which has been a blast so far) then your dedication to mapping is commendable. Should be quite the experience!

Made all those fixes, only I don't understand the stuck monsters at the sectors you're referring to. Are they stuck in a particular source port? Cause they were moving around just fine in ZDoom, Chocolate Doom, PRBoom and GLBoom.

valkiriforce said:

I don't understand the stuck monsters at the sectors you're referring to. Are they stuck in a particular source port? Cause they were moving around just fine in ZDoom, Chocolate Doom, PRBoom and GLBoom.

That's because you only checked in UV mode. The problem is with ITYTD and HMP skill modes. For example, Thing 172 is stuck in Thing 208, which are placed on top of one another and both flagged ITYTD and HMP.

I guess I should have been more specific. :/

BTW I mentioned control sectors for map 09. Not necessary. But self referencing sectors are.

-----------------------

Some more things noticed ...

map 10 ...

1. Wrong ceiling flat sector 6 ?
2. Remove secret flag from sector 337.

map 11 ...

Walkover activation lines 167 and 200 are not enough. Imagine this ... player is at sector 18, then walks north straight towards sector 231. Player falls into sector 231 and is trapped with the cyber, plus render errors due to missing textures. Similar if player crosses line 165, and walks straight to sector 230, without crossing line 200 first.

map 12 ...

Switch at line 955 cannot be seen because of middle texture on line 954 - intentional ?

hawkwind said:

That's because you only checked in UV mode. The problem is with ITYTD and HMP skill modes. For example, Thing 172 is stuck in Thing 208, which are placed on top of one another and both flagged ITYTD and HMP.

OK, that was a big error on my part, sorry! I tend to check things real quick on ultra-violence. Though it doesn't mean I haven't played these levels on lower difficulties. Most likely that was some last-minute change I made before completing the level at the time I was making it.

hawkwind said:

map 12 ...

Switch at line 955 cannot be seen because of middle texture on line 954 - intentional ?

Yes, that is intentional. It's a secret marked by the dead player right by the switch (plus the middle-texture stands out a little from the surrounding textures).

some more ...

map 13 ...

Texture GRAY7 does not Y align at lines 1633/331 and 292/307.

map 14 ...

Linedef 2591 needs the "pass thru" flag set to be truly for Boom. As it now stands, with prboom+, compatibility with common mapping errors, use passes thru all special lines must be set to YES and for zdoom, all special lines can block <use> must be set to NO for all secrets to be obtained.

map 31 ...

1. The player is trapped if between sectors 393, 407, 371 and 372.
2. Wrong Y offset at line 1837 ? - switch.
3. 100% kills not possible in ITYTD and HMP skills - T325 Teleport - at sector 200 is only flagged UV.

map 32 ...

Wrong Y offset at line 619 ? switch. Actually, I have noticed that this same texture - sw1comp has had the wrong? Y offset in other maps in this wad.

hawkwind said:

map 32 ...

Wrong Y offset at line 619 ? switch. Actually, I have noticed that this same texture - sw1comp has had the wrong? Y offset in other maps in this wad.

Yeah, it was intended that way back when I first made these maps; though seeing them now again I really should have fixed them by now.

Anyway, your feedback has been most useful. :)

it continues ...

map 16 ...

T1202 - barrel - could be moved a bit further west or east.

valkiriforce said:
Here's the vanilla-compatible version: http://www.mediafire.com/?t4ugau6k35x65yn
Hasn't thoroughly been playtested for vanilla compatability, but I did do a quick IDDQD run through all 32 levels last night (which was exhausting). I may have noticed some things but I can't recall everything that needed fixing. Anyway, I didn't want to have to delay the release of this version.

I'm glad there will be a vanilla version, as I prefer to play under vanilla or plain limit removing specs. A compromise you might find appealing is to go "limit removing" for this version. Vanilla has a patch by the PrBoom+ coder which raises limits a good deal, which would pretty much take care of VPO worries. Nothing stops a PWAD author from providing or linking to that patch, so vanilla itself can effectively be limit removing for PWADs.

map 16 cont ...

Wrong Y offset line 2160.

map 17 ...

Now this is interesting - if the player is standing at sector 32, with some ports the player can see sectors 108 and 67 and other ports not, just sky. I noticed that sectors 37, 28 and 68 have a floor height of 16, and their associated lines have missing textures. I suspect the intent is not to be able to see the nearby areas - yet I could be wrong ...

hawkwind said:

map 17 ...

Now this is interesting - if the player is standing at sector 32, with some ports the player can see sectors 108 and 67 and other ports not, just sky. I noticed that sectors 37, 28 and 68 have a floor height of 16, and their associated lines have missing textures. I suspect the intent is not to be able to see the nearby areas - yet I could be wrong ...

The intent is that you can see those areas right by you but you are not able to interact with them; sort of like a stationary monster that can't see you because an invisible wall is blocking their view of you. I guess that thing you mentioned seems to happen in glboom but not prboom or even ZDoom.

myk said:

I'm glad there will be a vanilla version, as I prefer to play under vanilla or plain limit removing specs. A compromise you might find appealing is to go "limit removing" for this version. Vanilla has a patch by the PrBoom+ coder which raises limits a good deal, which would pretty much take care of VPO worries. Nothing stops a PWAD author from providing or linking to that patch, so vanilla itself can effectively be limit removing for PWADs.

That's really cool; forgive me for my having to ask but how do you apply it? The readme didn't give much information except what features were added.

and ...

map 18 ...

1. Might be a good idea to make line 1017 impassible. If the player is at sector 234 the lower sky sphere is visible.
2. 100% secrets not possible. The secret flag at sector 130 should be removed. Player will not get credit.

map 19 ...

1. Missing upper textures for lines 2112, 2186 and 2190.
2. If the player falls between sectors 714, 715 and 716, the player is trapped.

valkiriforce said:
That's really cool; forgive me for my having to ask but how do you apply it? The readme didn't give much information except what features were added.

By habit I always end up mentioning it as "a patch" but while the patch and the patcher are in src.zip, and you can thus apply the patch on an unmodified version of the DOS executable, so is a ready-to-use copy of the patched executable (DOOM2P.EXE, for DOOM II), so all you need to do is use that one.

more on map 17 first ...

Glboom+ - render error at "floor" of sectors 73 and 72. Sky is rendered instead of MBFLOOR. Can be fixed by self-referencing sectors and control sector.

And finally ...

map 25 ...

Risen3D - HOM when looking out window sector 91. Easily fixed by fixing those missing textures on line 822.

map 30 ...

Two Risen3D sky issues. Both easily fixed. Give line 553 EDSKY at the upper-front sidedef and the other by giving sector 267 F_SKY1 as the ceiling and tagging it #1.

I enjoyed this a lot. Great job valkiriforce. :)

I'll play through this one day, and personally, aside from a certain troll over at Wads In Progress (Whose name isn't even worth mentioning) who said it was bland, it's certainly better than said troll's supposed version of E2M4. (As Essel said as such)

Anyways, I'll look forward to Reverie someday too.

Just want you to know I didn't forget this; I'll be looking through this again and making some fixes here and there as I see fit.
[EDIT] Well unless anyone has any objections I'm probably going to release this soon; most likely the vanilla-compatible version because I feel it's a lot more consistent and acceptable.

This is a great WAD. I love the atmosphere of the first part of the level - it alludes to old school maps but with a real evolutionary feel to it (if that makes sense!). The only thing I would change if I could is the looping of the music in the first level. It really suits the map and gives a great adrenalised feel just like the original games. I just find it a real shame when it fades out, stays silent for a second or two and then kicks back in again... Is it possible to loop this track properly?

Average said:

Is it possible to loop this track properly?

Yeah, I don't know how to do that.

DeathevokatioN said:

Before you upload it, did you check out those pcorf midis I gave you a link to? :)

I might consider using one of those.

Apologies for the small bump but I have some gameplay video of the first level..