Brutal Doom version 18a

I just came across a bug.

When you perform a fatality under a doorway, and the door closes during the fatality, the door will actually close in ON you.

Luckily I managed to get out without No-Clipping, but it's just one of those things that caught me off-guard. :o

Share this post


Link to post

Oh yeah it's been this way for a while now but the jumping sound sounds like the marine is getting raped in the ass.

Share this post


Link to post

I just played this, and it's so epic! All that blood and gore makes it more fun to kill!

Share this post


Link to post



Testing some sounds with an external WAD file that are present in the BrutalDoom PK3 but are not yet set up for use.

I've also made a "Tame" version for those wanting original behavior, not having to dodge every 5 seconds but want the awesomeness of the mod.

Download

-Monsters don't climb all over the place (I'm looking at you, spectre!)
-Monster HP and projectile speed/damage returned to standard IWAD defaults.
-Minigun a niche stronger, still weaker than rifle.
-Removed powerup pickup, Doom64 pain and item pickup sounds, restored original player pain noise.
-Belphegor's stats restored to Skulltag defaults because the damage inflicted is ridiculous.
-Fixed grenade launcher pickup message.
-Changed former sergeant obituary message.

Share this post


Link to post

Mark, I've found another bug.

Grabbing the Shotgun Guy while he's crawling away with his leg amputated gives you a Zombieman meatshield instead of the Shotgun Guy.

Share this post


Link to post

It seems that since ZDoom svn revision 3355 the sounds of torches are broken. Instead of crackling I hear a very fast ticking noise. I believe the sound effect is being rapidly re-triggered and cutting itself off. Not sure how to fix this, I'm no decorate/sndinfo expert :-)

The changelog message, if it helps, was

Fixed: Sound limiting applied even to sounds that were already playing on the same actor+channel. Since in this case, it's really just restarting the sound, it shouldn't limit it. (Since it's already playing, we know the limit wasn't exceeded when it started playing, so it shouldn't be exceeded if we restart it now.)

Share this post


Link to post

Finally decided to give this mod a spin, and it's some great stuff! It kind of reminds me of WGRealms2, which i haven't been able to get working on here, so it's a nice substitute.

Also, I ran into a pretty bad bug, though it may have been mentioned already: I used the plasma rifle alt-fire, using up the last of the ammo (I think), and I think during those animations I'd been hitting the kick button, and as a result, i was stuck with an empty plasma rifle i couldn't switch away from, which was constantly starting and stopping the alt fire charge sound. Eventually I found a box of cells which ended the loop. This happened when using the latest version for GZDoom svn 1311.

The rocket launcher seems a little underpowered to me, compared to the shotguns, but maybe I need to play with it some more and get a better feel for it.

Share this post


Link to post

More upcoming 0.16 feature goodness..

Share this post


Link to post

For some reason a number of threads made before a certain date on the Skulltag forums has vanished, including the BrutalDoom thread IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Mr. Chris said:

For some reason a number of threads made before a certain date on the Skulltag forums has vanished, including the BrutalDoom thread IIRC.

Link to the forum thread is back up.

Odd thing that it happened though. :|

Share this post


Link to post
HavoX said:

Link to the forum thread is back up.

Odd thing that it happened though. :|


Looks like the forum vanished, I just get the "Index of /forum/" now for both .net and .com

Share this post


Link to post

Really enjoying this mod! Great work.

One issue I've noticed-
My Doomguy's in a dark blue suit, but when he's getting torn apart by an imp or baron of hell, his suit reverts back to green. I haven't seen this happen with any other deaths, but I'll keep an eye out.

Also, when I first saw the Revenant fatality (where Doomguy punches it in the chest), I could have sworn at first that the Doomguy had headbutted the Revenant, and I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't the case.
Any chance on having that added as a fatality? On the SS, perhaps?

EDIT
Forgot to mention, but I think the assault rifle and shotgun look too similar, to the point that sometimes I can't tell which gun I'm using when I look at it. Am I alone in this?

Share this post


Link to post

I just found a bug in the latest release. When a Spectre kills a regular Zombieman, the Zombieman just vanishes without any death animation or corpse.

Share this post


Link to post

I found a bug: When chainsawing a sergeant's corpse, when it should splatter, another one just appears in front of it, which will do the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Janus3003 said:

Really enjoying this mod! Great work.

One issue I've noticed-
My Doomguy's in a dark blue suit, but when he's getting torn apart by an imp or baron of hell, his suit reverts back to green. I haven't seen this happen with any other deaths, but I'll keep an eye out.

Also, when I first saw the Revenant fatality (where Doomguy punches it in the chest), I could have sworn at first that the Doomguy had headbutted the Revenant, and I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't the case.
Any chance on having that added as a fatality? On the SS, perhaps?

EDIT
Forgot to mention, but I think the assault rifle and shotgun look too similar, to the point that sometimes I can't tell which gun I'm using when I look at it. Am I alone in this?


I think that the green armor revert on fatalities is an engine thing, cause I remember reading that if he made your armor, say, blue, it'd make the monster blue or something weird. I've never really had an issue telling if I have the AR or shotgun out, do you mean like you'll panic switch to one and it won't be the gun you want?

Share this post


Link to post

Still loving all of the progress on this, the last video is pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post

I found some bugs..

1) One of corpse decoration in [map30 doomII iwad] is invisible. I can still shoot blood out of it, but that is it.

2) I experienced *glass breaking* effect on my screen that did not go away. is it supposed to be like that?

3) Minigun sprite in v15a seems to be more pixelated than the one in v14.

4) Some maps, eg [map30 doomII iwad], place more than one pickup of same type on same spot. brutal doom then makes all pickup dark because of its shadowing

5) Most of lighting effects placed on lamps start to flicker when you aproach them from certain angle.

What do you think about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Ghost`01 said:

I've never really had an issue telling if I have the AR or shotgun out, do you mean like you'll panic switch to one and it won't be the gun you want?

Eh, not so much panic switching, but I'm used to seeing demons up ahead and glancing at whatever weapon I'm using and immediately know whether I want to switch or not. With the current Brutal Doom weapons, I'm sometimes stuck thinking "Wait, is that a shotgun or AR I'm holding?".
Granted, it's only a second or two's difference, but in a fast-paced game, it's irritating.

Sokoro said:

2) I experienced *glass breaking* effect on my screen that did not go away. is it supposed to be like that?

How low was your health? I've noticed that the glass stays broken after a certain point (less than 20 points, give or take) and disappears after getting my health back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Mattfrie1 said:

I just found a bug in the latest release. When a Spectre kills a regular Zombieman, the Zombieman just vanishes without any death animation or corpse.


Happens with demons killing zombiemen too.

Share this post


Link to post

Was playing Brutal Doom again last night (speaking of which, I found a preview of .16 on Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17T6RgAtew ), and I have to ask- am I the only one bugged by having Justin Bieber as Commander Keen in Doom 2? I don't like his music either, but there's something sick about blowing away a real person (especially a kid).

Share this post


Link to post
Janus3003 said:

Was playing Brutal Doom again last night (speaking of which, I found a preview of .16 on Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17T6RgAtew ), and I have to ask- am I the only one bugged by having Justin Bieber as Commander Keen in Doom 2? I don't like his music either, but there's something sick about blowing away a real person (especially a kid).


I found Brutal Doom 0.16b for download on the Zdoom forums. Sgt Mark IV hasn't updated the links on this thread yet.

Share this post


Link to post
HellKnight2012 said:

I found Brutal Doom 0.16b for download on the Zdoom forums. Sgt Mark IV hasn't updated the links on this thread yet.

...well, son of a gun, I'm going to have to go check that out. Thanks for the tip!

Share this post


Link to post

Just downloaded 0.16b. The last version I played was 0.14. All I can say is...holy crap, the new DOOMGuy voice clips are TERRIBLE. He sounds like that guy. You know the one--the one when you're playing a game online and he won't stop screaming into his headset the whole time he's playing. Recording quality is awful, his voice being so loud that it overloads the microphone. I just cracked open the PK3 immediately and deleted/replaced all of it.

The new zombie voices fare better, at least, and are actually a bit creepy. Even though it's a bit funny when you get one on their knees and they start screaming like mad, and then you kill them and their corpse continues to scream on the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
This topic is now closed to further replies.