Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal Doom version 18a

I am coming across random incidents of monsters going into pain when I'm not even in their line of sight or shooting at them while trying to look for me then targeting another before going back into search/roam mode. This seems to happen with chaingunners and demons more than other monsters it seems.

Could it be ricochet and/or location based related?

Anyone else have such incidents under Skulltag?

EDIT: My bind to mouse4 for reload is not sticking when I exit out of Skulltag either.

Well I guess most people prefer blue to green (myself included).Plus,blue is oldschool.Also,remember,fire can be blue,red or even incolor.It depends on the gas used and on the temperature of the fire.

About the plasma rifle...it seems to fire too slow.Did you change the firerate?If so,I would suggest changing it back.

Sure, so I will make it blue again.

No, I don't changed the plasma rifle firerate. It does fires on 2 tics intervals in the Vanilla Doom, doesn't it?

Also the chainsaw's delay seems to make it a lot less useful.

It doesn't. Yes, it takes more time to start, but it deals twice damage now.

Also,I see the cyberdemon drops his robotic leg.Given his current death animation,it looks like he has 3 legs,which is rather dumb if you ask me.

I didn't had noticed that. Thanks.

I am coming across random incidents of monsters going into pain when I'm not even in their line of sight or shooting at them while trying to look for me then targeting another before going back into search/roam mode. This seems to happen with chaingunners and demons more than other monsters it seems.

Could it be ricochet and/or location based related?

Anyone else have such incidents under Skulltag?

EDIT: My bind to mouse4 for reload is not sticking when I exit out of Skulltag either.

For now, it seems to happen only for Demons and Chaingunners. I will try to find out what's happening here. No, you are not the only one, I saw people repporting the same thing in the ST forums.

About the bind problem, bind it in the .ini file using notepad. Sometimes Skulltag configs just act weird.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

No, I don't changed the plasma rifle firerate. It does fires on 2 tics intervals in the Vanilla Doom, doesn't it?

Well it seems weaker than before.It probably seems so to me because of the sounds.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

It doesn't. Yes, it takes more time to start, but it deals twice damage now.

Didn't know that.It sounds ok then.

The plasma explosion effect seems a bit obscuring and large, maybe scale it down a small bit? Maybe make it a niche transparent as well?

Jimmy91 said:

I really love this mod, although I can't help but think that the title could do with at least a metal umlaut. :P

Not a bad idea.

Mr. Chris said:

The plasma explosion effect seems a bit obscuring and large, maybe scale it down a small bit? Maybe make it a niche transparent as well?

You mean the one from 0.8, or Beta 0.9?

Beta 0.9, it can really obscure if you're firing it pointblank against a monster.

There is a second release candidate(?) over on the Skulltag forums if anyone's interested.

SgtMkIV: You might wanna post the test versions here for people to help iron out any issues that may pop up.

Might it be possible to make the mancubus projectiles a little different as they look pretty similar to the imp fireballs except in size.

And regarding the mancubus, he still plays his attack sound twice under Skulltag. (Am using the latest dev version dated Feb 6th 2011)

I forgot to mention the backpack still adds ammo into the counter on the HUD.

Might there be a way to disable corpse gibbing? I find it annoying for the BFG to be doing this.

I love this mod too.

Are the resources up for grabs, Sarge?

I don't have any suggestions in particular about improvements yet...

New version is out. Check the first post.

@gemini09: As long you dont just copy and paste everything into your wad, and don't credit me just like other people were doing some versions ago, it's fine.

@Mr. Chris: The stuff you repported there is fixed too. And bout the BFG thing, Looks like it's not possible. I already asked in the Zdoom Forums how to make actors untargetable by BFG hitscans, but nobody replied yet. About the new fatso's fireball, I will search for a new and bigger one effect for 0.10

EDIT: Fixed the wrong download link to 0.8

Now, how AWESOME would it be to combine Brütal Doom with the "powers" of this mod?!

I got the new version, and it's still really fun to play with. But I STILL can't do fatalities on Cybers. :( That should be the damn number one priority!

-You can jump and crouch while doing fatalities. Was this done on purpose?

Processingcontrol said:

-You can jump and crouch while doing fatalities. Was this done on purpose?

Yea, that looks really funny crouching and the sprites squished while ripping the monster apart.

@Maes: lol, hmm... maybe I can put it as an easter egg somewhere.

@Processingcontrol: Unfortunely not. I think the Zdoom crouch feature is impossible to be edited. About the Cyber fatality, just wait, you know, as more time it takes, better it gets. I must keep it for the grand finale ;)

An emergency bugfix version has been uploaded at the first post. I fixed the HUD problem, and a bug making player lose the ammo loaded in the plasma gun when switching weapons. If anyone uses the classic Doom HUD, download the separated file with the ammo counter fix (but this patch removes the Zdoom hud). Also, regeneration is made in a separated module too.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Very nice mod! The visuals are gorgeous (especially the BFG! Boy that is sexy well done). Also I like the reloading of certain weapons, brings a bit of realism of modern shooters to Doom. Great gib animations and plasma burning going on as well ;)

However what I don't like is how ammo doesn't show up anywhere on the normal interface. I play GZDoom and I think the GZDoom interface is just horrible so I never use it. Also how Shotgun ammo is handeled is quite badly, because even if I have 12 shells in my normal shotgun, why can't I take it out and use it in my SSG? Last thing would be the health recovery and slow walking - I didn't like that at all. Any way to make an option for this to turn it off?

Also regarding the SSG, I think the SSG alternate fire and reload handling is more convenient in beautiful doom where you don't have to press the reload button if you just fired one barrel and want to shoot both. Also the SSG one barrel shot is too fast, because if I hold down the button for even a short time, it fires the second barrel immediately after the first. Maybe add a little delay between shots.

But overall I think this is a great mod, keep up the good work :)

How do I get the stretched status bar using the status bar WAD fix? I don't wish to have a small HUD..

That's awesome... very fun to play!
The noise of the monsters walking in the water is scaring... The effects are very well done and the weapon that remplaces the old pistol is far nicer to play with than the pistol.
However I found the game harder with this mode. Not insurmountable though.

A great great work.

Gibbing a mancubus will have the last frame of his death go invisible for some odd reason.

Also I think the hell knight could use another body chunk or two when you blow him up, I normally see guts, his head and his leg..perhaps a torso piece and/or hand/arm too?

This mod is thousands of tons of fun. I have some suggestions:
- maybe 600 round belt for chain-gun is normal, but rocket launcher with 100 round belt confusing me. It must dramatically slow you down. What about giving it 6 (or 3) round drum and slightly increasing splash damage to cover reloading blackout;
- burst mode for chain-gun alt-fire that will fire at 3.5 speed of normal fire and overheating it after 50-60 round for 4-5 seconds (like plasma gun delay between consequential shots) as last resort option when got cornered or just want to feel like A-10 Thunderbolt;
-

Also how Shotgun ammo is handeled is quite badly, because even if I have 12 shells in my normal shotgun, why can't I take it out and use it in my SSG?

good point, shotgun's alt-fire is still unoccupied. It'll be good if consequently pressing alt-fire button we will eject ammo for use in SSG;
-

Also the SSG one barrel shot is too fast, because if I hold down the button for even a short time, it fires the second barrel immediately after the first. Maybe add a little delay between shots.

I agree;

I like to see fun mods like this one, full of win. Apart from hitscan enemies being a bit too accurate and damaging, and the 100 round rocket launcher, it's all very good.
Try making some reload frames for the Rocket Launcher if you can. I made a 3-round ammo drum in my mod, increasing speed ad splash damage a bit. It played pretty well like that.

Is gaining health and armor above 200% a feature of mod? Never seen this before.

Thanks for all comments.

@ BlueEagle : At the bottom of first post, there is a download link for a patch that fixes the original Doom's hud to show ammo correctly. Load it together with the mod. (I keep it in a separated wad because it removes the Zdoom hud).
About removing the Shells inside the shotgun with alt-fire like Flynn said, that's something I will do.
For health recovery/slow walking, in GZDoom version, in the DECORATE lump, remove the line that sets a Player.RunHealth property in the player actor.
The only difference between the Brutal Doom SSG, and the Beautiful Doom one, is in Beautifull Doom you reload the SSG when using normal fire after firing one barrel, instead reloading it. But I will increase the fire delay like you said.

@Mr. Chris: Are you using the "Stretch Status Bar" option in your Display Options? It should work fine, but If not, try the Skulltag version.
I will fix the mancubus bug. Thanks for repporting. And I will make gibbed torsos for Barons and Hell Knights too.

@Bishop: Maybe I will make the Rocket Launcher have 6 rounds.

@ Flynn : Thanks for the Shotgun suggestion. Yes, gaining health and armor above 200% is possible with the health/armor bonus powerups. I always hated how they are useless powerups, now, they give a bonus of 2 health/armor, and can go above 200%.

@SgtMkIV: Yes, stretch statbar is on and I am using the "new" HUD. Switching to "classic" has no effect, and yes I am using the HUD fix wad file too. I didn't have this problem with the beta 0.9 or 0.8 at all.

Also, should the Cyberdemon's grenades be going through teleporters? I was kinda caught off guard by that. Heh, at least he annihilates the barons in MAP08 instead of getting gangraped by them like in 0.8.

Strangely while testing the latest GZDoom (1.5.6 r1104), I am getting weird red dynamic lighting and black coloration that go between red and pure black, making floors disappear and the game becoming a slideshow as seen in the screenshot below. Turning dynamic lights off makes this anomaly stop also. GZDoom does spit up a bunch of red script errors on startup as well but still loads, tho Skulltag shows some yellow warning script errors but it plays perfectly.

The revenant's double missile attack's splash damage can induce infighting with other revenants, unless it's meant to be a rocket splash like the cyberdemon's.

yeah really nice mod but I must agree with some of the criticism. the difficulty change especially with the hitscanners makes some megawads extremely difficult and unplayable. try hell revealed map02 for example, right after the elevater at the beginning I got annihilated by those shotgunners. the screen effects when you got hit doesn't make it easier.
and I really don't unterstand the point of the slowdown if your health is beneath a certain level. this feature doesn't work very well together with the doom gameplay (be fast and mobile to doge the enemies attacks).

Guys, I came up with a decision of removing the runhealth from 0.10
I mean, there still will be cracks in the helmet when health is bellow 30, but player's speed will not be affected by it.
Also, as many people were suggesting, an automatic Rocket Launcher with 100 rounds sounds stupid. I plan making it reloadable on every 6 shoots, with a reload animation of the same speed as the Plasma Gun does.
What you think about it?

@Mr Chris: Yes, the grenades should go teleporters. Also, when Grenade Launchers were included in the earlier versions, there was a trick of cleaning up a room before you could teleport to it using the grenades.
About the pic, ImageShack doesnt wants to show it to me. Could you upload it to tinypic.com, please? Your bug seems to be pretty serious, and I want to take a look on it. But the error messages doesnt means anything. Just some missing actors that got removed, and I forgot to remove their spawning commands. It doesnt implies in gameplay.

@Sp00kyFox: Unfortunely, that is something that happens in any dificult mod. Hard Doom for example, TNT's "Mission Impossible" is unplayable due the 6 double-minigunners that are placed right next to you at the map start, and instantly gang-rape you right after you are spawned. About the slowdown when health is beneath 25, don't worry, I'm almost sure I will remove it on next version.