Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal Doom version 18a

engineer said:

Why not allow certain world objects to be used as weapons? I'd love to use the impaled guy poles as single use javelins, or torches and candlabras as fiery, limited use melee weapons?

That sounds awesome,great idea!

That would be awesome. I mean, who can not like the idea of removing one of those lamps from its socket and bash it into a bunch of zombies. >:)

So anyway, I noticed one thing: the fatalities for the Cacodemon and Mancubus still doesn't show up. At all

Also, is it possible to break the fatality camera angle somehow? It doesn't seem to work now, yet it worked perfectly before. Could either A) one break it because of saving a game, quitting, then reloading, or B) one break it by using the "resurrect" cheat?

Doomhuntress said:

So anyway, I noticed one thing: the fatalities for the Cacodemon and Mancubus still doesn't show up. At all

I don't have this problem, are you using Skulltag or GZDoom?

I think foot prints from blood would be a really nice addition to this, they work well in Duke 3D.

Dunno if it's just on my end or what, but why do gibs and enemy blood damage you? I can't even use the chainsaw without dying... I end up IDDQD'ing my way out of rooms, when I'm out of ammo and I only have the chainsaw :/

I'm guessing spectres can be a little less transparent, to about 12 or 13%.

Is anyone experiencing Chaingunner heads exploding after starting to shoot? It happens but it is very uncommon.

Mr. Chris said:

Is anyone experiencing Chaingunner heads exploding after starting to shoot? It happens but it is very uncommon.

Me too. No shots from me, blood not mine. After his death I successfully climbed where's he were standing. My shots here were harmless to me. Seems like bullets spawning at dude's head's level and ricochetting.
http://i51.tinypic.com/2vsnimw.png

@Flynn: That might be the case because the vast majority when this happens is when they are aiming up high, at least 72 units or higher at me.

I'm guessing spectres can be a little less transparent, to about 12 or 13%.

That'd help a lot... sometimes it's pretty damn hard to spot them.

Also, I was wondering, why can't you quite see them when using the Light Amplification Visors? It'd make sense if you could actually see them better, but that's just me :/

TheDarkArchon said:

I've noticed it with chaingunners and shotgunners. I strongly suspect it's their attacks hitting their headshot hitboxes.

That is what I am guessing, whether it's the old hitscan or the new superfast tracer attack.

Edit: It happens with Zombiemen as well.

Okay, I fixed the head bug thing. Thanks for all repports, I'm fixing everything.

Pre-Release test version.

- Fixed the old "Emo Monsters" bug, that caused many enemies to commit suicide when firing at a high target, by shooting their own heads.
- Replaced the alternate Zombieman Fatality, plus, added alternate fatalities for Imp and ShotgunGuy.
- Improved smoke and explosion particles.
- Now, Rocket Launcher will reload every 6 shoots.
- Shotgun reload can be stoped by kicking.
- All bugs concerning the Fatalities have been fixed. I have tested all of them, with different ammounts of health, and all of them are working properly, and 3rd person camera stuck bug doesnt happens anymore. The only problem is, when you perform a fatality on health under 30, sometimes there is a small delay for the fatality to start, This seems to be unfixable at this momment, but even late, it never fails.
- Changed the Spectre's appearence: Now, he looks like a stealth monster, but not totally invisible; you can still see his eyes when he is not attacking/getting hit.
- Reduced the volume of splash and torch fire sounds.
- Revenants' alt combo attack will not cause splash damage anymore. (It was overpower, and often causing them to commit suicide)
- New boss balance: Cyberdemons can be killed by 18 direct rocket hits in it's breast/head, and Spider Mastermind can be killed by 16 rockets at it's brain, but shooting a Spider Mastermind's chasis is useless now, it will deal insignificant damage with any weapon (exept BFG).
- Fixed a bug that could make ceiling bloodspots get stuck in middle air if spawned under a moving ceiling.
- Added more animation sequences for the fatality on Mancubus.
- Polished many weapons, including the secret MP40.
- Polished all headshot animations. Now, headshots are looking way more satisfactiable.
- Randomized the HeadOnStick with different heads.
- Now you can shoot the skulls in the pole with skulls, but unlike Beautiful Doom that has a fix sequence, you can shoot any skull.
- Added body psychs (sort of it). Kick/punch a dead zombieman corpse to animate it.
- Remade the sprites holding the Lost Soul using the Blood Skullstaff sprites. Also, if you change weapons while holding a it, Doomguy will smash the Lost Soul with his hand.
- Imps are more agressive. Now they will jump to attack players with more brutality when they are in the melee range. Imps can also now perform fatalities on players/Marines when hitting the whole melee combo attack.
- Replaced Invisibility Sphere by rescuable Marines. To rescue a marine, just punch/kick him, and he will join you. Warning: When enemies spots you, they will imediatly attemp to execute any nearby captured marine before you can rescue him.
I have tryed everything to make this item more useful, but I failed. I think this is a better addition to gameplay than a dumb item that makes enemies spread their projectile attacks increasing the chance of hitting you if you are sidestrafing them. Also, the spheres were placed in spots that now will create some interesting situations, almost cutscenes, like in E1m7 on UV, you look through the window, and see a bunch of shootgunners executing a Marine. Or Like in E2M5, there is a captured marine that triggers an ambush if you try to get him, like if the hellspawn let the poor bastard live just to use him to get you.

I still have some stuff to do, but I think I will release 0.10 tomorrow. I just need to make fatalities for Hell Knight and Arachnotron.
Also, I need to find a sound effect for the captured marine screaming "HELP!!!". Anybody knows a good one?
If anybody notice ANY bug, please, repport it.

Download:

Skulltag:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalDoomV10PreReleaseTest.zip

GZDoom:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalGZDoomV10PreReleaseTest.zip

@ProcessingControl: Making blood foot prints would require lots of work to detect if the player has steped into a pool of blood, and that could fuck up things online.

@Haematobic: This Chainsaw bug only happens if you are too close of the target. I still didn't found out how to fix it without having to sacrifice the blood on screen and on chainsaw features, but in most cases it doesnt draws your health, unless you are too close, like, if you are chainsawing a corpse.
About seeing spectres with LAV, thats just something I don't know how to do =/

It doesn't appear the the Soulsphere is working. I went through Ultimate Doom with it, and picked up the Soulsphere in both e1m2 and e1m3. My health didn't change at all. I also spawned a couple of them and my health still didn't change.

EDIT: I was using the gzDoom version. I'll take a look at Skulltag real quick.

EDIT 2: So I checked Skulltag and the same thing happens. I also noted that after I picked it up, a pull of smoke followed. Not saying it was bad, but I never noticed that before.

EDIT 3: I didn't realize this before because all the times I used it, my health was over 100%, but if it's under 100%, the Soulsphere acts similar to a Berserk Pack, taking your health up to 100%.

I've got to say I love the ROF on the chaingun/minigun as it seems even more useful for mowing badguys down.

I'm still not entirely sure on the spectre since I like it when he's just barely visible.

EDIT: The soulsphere gives NO health on the Skulltag version. Might it have to do with the captured marine change to the blursphere?

The soulsphere WILL heal the player if he has less than 100 health but will not give the excess health it's supposed to. As it healed me to 100 health when I had 14.

I will just use "give health 100" in the console until the next version whenever I pick up one.

I still think the baron/knight's melee attack is way overpowered, it should be near their original melee damage.

I am having instances of monsters getting stuck on corpses or corpse chunks, but am not sure what is causing it.

Picking up the megasphere has the status message say "Megasphere" instead of "Megasphere!", as the Soulsphere has it say "Soulsphere" instead of "Supercharge!"

Only one shell should be ejected, not two if you fire SSG secondary and then reload.

The new demon pain sound I posted earlier should also be used for the baron and knight, as it looks as it would match them due to their bulky frame.

I also just got an "Unknown Object code (155) in Archive" after getting torched by a mancubus and attempting to reload using the 'Use' key. Okay, it wasn't by the editing but don't know what it is.

Ahh.. I was trying to make Soulspheres go over the 200 health limit, and I messed the things a bit. Not a problem, I will fix it.

Mr. Chris said:

I also just got an "Unknown Object code (155) in Archive" after getting torched by a mancubus and attempting to reload using the 'Use' key. Might it be possible because I altered the PK3 but the savegame was still using the data from before the first round of modifications?

Pretty possible. It's recommendable to don't load save games from different versions.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Pretty possible. It's recommendable to don't load save games from different versions.

I found out that wasn't the case. I made a new PWAD and ran it and it happened again but I was gunned down before that happened. Had to load an autosave to resume gaming.

I find it amusing just as you get jumped by the imp's attack and you use the shotgun or one SSG barrel, he goes flying back several meters.

Mr. Chris said:

I found out that wasn't the case. I made a new PWAD and ran it and it happened again but I was gunned down before that happened. Had to load an autosave to resume gaming.

I find it amusing just as you get jumped by the imp's attack and you use the shotgun or one SSG barrel, he goes flying back several meters.

Hmm... strange. Maybe I will create a topic in the ZDoom forums asking about what can cause this.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. And if you use your fist/kick, he will fly even higher.:D

engineer said:

Wait, the minigun got tweaked?

No, it's more powerful, because it's firing faster. (But it has now increased colling time, so, make sure it is used only when you are sure that you need to kill a large bunch of enemies, and not just single ones)

Which makes the rifle useful for killing one or two weak enemies.

Yeah,I see noone saw my post.I said that the mancubus fatality doesn't appear for me.He just vanishes...help!

Yay! Now plasmagun really shines and sounds, Rocket drums and power cells are all over the floor!
Still waiting for unloadable shotgun. Everything else ROCKS!

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

@Haematobic: This Chainsaw bug only happens if you are too close of the target. I still didn't found out how to fix it without having to sacrifice the blood on screen and on chainsaw features, but in most cases it doesnt draws your health, unless you are too close, like, if you are chainsawing a corpse.
About seeing spectres with LAV, thats just something I don't know how to do =/

Oh ok, I didn't quite notice that... I'll try that out!

As for the spectres being a little more visible using the LAV, don't worry about it, they're fine as they are right now, it was just a suggestion! ;D

Keep up the excellent work, man! Looking forward to your next release! :D

The imp pouncing attack can make some PWADs extraordinarily difficult and does too much damage too quickly, maybe decrease pounce melee damage and speed as it does almost as much as the vanilla Doom's demon bite (15 to 40 damage!)

I am sometimes getting that "Unknown Object code (###, usually 150 or 220) in Archive" error while loading, which is really irritating. Can you try and look into this if it can be reproduced? Maybe it's from a huge number of objects, including decals perhaps? I think the last times I had it happen was right after dying or after taking a large amount of damage.

This is not happening from saving, exiting out/editing and reloading either as I first suspected so it can't be that and it's frustrating me

This happens mainly when using the USE key to restart from a saved game so far and what triggers it the most.

EDIT: After some searching, it might have to do with duplicate actors and quite possibly the yellow warning messages I always see when I fire up with BrutalDoom.

This Unknown Object Code error appears to happen the most often when I use the Hordes/Crazy combination from Oblige generated maps, but it's infrequent/scarce with Hordes/Medium. (I'm sure it's fine with Hordes/Weak or Hordes/Tough combinations too)

The ZDoom marine AI needs to be tweaked so when they see new monsters if closer or accessible, they should open fire on them if the ones they first originally saw cannot be seen (IE fences that disallow their shots to hurt them).

The close explosion sounds seem a bit too 'prioritized' as if they were 5 feet away from the player even if heard from 15 meters away.

The plasma gun when empty continues to play that loadup noise like a flatline until the weapon is lowered or is reloaded with cells.

I had an incident of the chainsaw marine still hostile earlier. You should double check to make sure his DECORATE is like the remaining.

I propose reducing the Imp pounce damage by half, reserve it only if the player is low on health (under 25%) or scrap it altogether as even a pair of imps can mess up an unarmored, freshly spawned player if he lets them get into melee range.

If the player or a monster moves past a dying imp or sergeant that is bleeding out during the first few frames, they are immobile/stuck until they collapse.

Marine speed should be 15 so it is more as if they have "Always run" on.

engineer said:

Here's some more sounds I had laying around the HD that I adapted for use in Brutal Doom. New shotgun pump, reloads for shotgun and rifle/MP40/Rocket Launcher and some experimental BFG sounds.

https://sites.google.com/site/georgheissmann/STGNPUMP.rar

@Mr Chris: (Your post is too big to quote) I think it's the Dead Bodies that are causing this. They have the same actor name of original ones. Gotta fix it. Yes, Imps are gonna get nerfed. Gotta check the Chainsaw Marine and everything else. Also, I found how to fix the bug with dying imps/shotgunners.

Can the rest of the monsters keep their original hit points, as they can do too much damage on certain third party maps as mentioned before. Sometimes there just isn't enough ammo to deal with the boss monsters depending on the circumstances.

When you exhaust all the ammo of a weapon and there's no reserve left, the first part of the weapon's reload should play because showing the SSG reload when there's no shells left looks silly.

Friendly marine's weaponry hurts the player and even kill, as I was by a stray BFG shot.

I've been playing this on multiplayer, and the chaingunner appear to glitch when they attack. I'll check to make sure, but I don't think this problem happened on single player.