Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

QUIVER - A new TC for [Eternity?] [Still in Planning Stages, NOTHING is Official]

I actually like Freedoom quite a lot. I think it's a bit weird that there's all this enthusiasm for a completely new project, but not so much to improve Freedoom. I'm not really good at anything, but whenever I have some free time I do something for it, like modifying a texture, making maps, etc. If I could I would definetly work on Freedoom instead of starting something entirely new, but then again, everyone's taste is different, and I see you're all pumped up, so I can only say go for it!

DooMAD said:

A nice swirly Episode 4 style sky:
Also, a comparison between mine and the originals.

Also changed the title to hopefully solve this problem, plus indicate that we seem to have gone away from the whole Freedoom thing.

Nice textures, Ed!

Use3D said:

This one should replace the whole engine and while we're at it lets make a new operating system to run it in, called SodaDos.

I can tell that you're just kidding in this sentence, but the rest of your post was serious, am I correct?

cbronson said:

I think it's a bit weird that there's all this enthusiasm for a completely new project, but not so much to improve Freedoom.

Since there's so little coherent theme in FreeDoom, might as well start a new project, since if one were to try to 'fix' FreeDoom, they would just end up replacing about everything in there anyway.

I like this idea a lot; I'd be willing to contribute a map or two once this project gets on the ground.

In regards to the theme, I really liked the whole "spirit world" idea that was thrown around earlier. Maybe the setting could be an oriental/steampunk hybrid, and in the later levels you go into the spirit world? I've always been fond of night settings, too.

I have a question though, is this going to be an alternate FreeDoom, or a totally new and different game altogether? I really want there to be a decent replacement for FreeDoom.

Use3D said:

Those skies look pretty nice, but they're just Doom knockoffs. Maybe something new?

Just started screwing about as a spur-of-the-moment thing, I can easily make something else if people prefer. Also, the E3 sky will be a bit more difficult to mimic anyway, so not sure if I want to try that one, heh.

Marnetmar said:

Also changed the title to hopefully solve this problem

Wouldn't really call it a "problem" if people are making stuff already. They're just ideas in picture format, no different to the other ideas floating around the thread. No one's saying you have to use them. I'd say that's preferable to the thread dying because no one's interested.

What does "spirit world" means? What does "aliens" means? A vague theme isn't a design.

The weapons and monsters need to have their concept done before anything else. Preferably with concept art, even if just sketches. That's what would allow to judge if the idea is viable: it needs to be aesthetically appealing and to be feasible within the constraints of the Doom engine. So say goodbye to anything that would require high resolution or translucency to be adequately rendered.

PRIMEVAL said:

So it's apparently a mix between spirit world / supernatural and aliens. Should we take a vote?

Wait wait, I've got this...

What if it were aliens AND the spirit world.

... oh god..

What does "spirit world" means? What does "aliens" means? A vague theme isn't a design.

I think that's what makes them so appealing; They're purposefully vague. As a level designer, I can see some really neat ideas coming from either concept.

The weapons and monsters need to have their concept done before anything else. Preferably with concept art, even if just sketches. That's what would allow to judge if the idea is viable: it needs to be aesthetically appealing and to be feasible within the constraints of the Doom engine. So say goodbye to anything that would require high resolution or translucency to be adequately rendered.

I say before any concept art is done, we decide what the monsters/weapons should be.

Speaking of weapons, will they just be re-skins of the regular doom weapons, or will there be some dehacked work involved?

Here's my idea.

The the U.S Military has opened a door to a dimension inconceivable to human minds simply known as "the void". You never actually get to see the void itself, but as you progress through the game, things begin to look more and more like a bad acid trip. Not necessarily like hell, but something that messes with you psychologically.

I figured I'd come up with a monster idea since people are throwing some around already:

The thing at 2:30, except it moves forward instead of back, and is completely (like a shadow) black except for red eyes.

That could work. But then, what does hell look like? ;) hehe

And that creature... talk about trippy. Not sure what that could replace.

Void theme is a good idea, but we will need all the monsters and such ideas first.

And holy shit, thanks for showing me that video, not like I was planning to sleep today anyways.

PRIMEVAL said:

That could work. But then, what does hell look like? ;) hehe

And that creature... talk about trippy. Not sure what that could replace.

I was thinking the pinky demon.

@Marnetmar
That has captured the essence of "taking too much" like nothing i've ever seen before... That is all.

I have an idea for the M_SKULL graphic (Menu selection icon), I can make an eye ball looking side-to-side frantically if interested. I think that fits the "acid trip" feel of the game more so than a skull would. But that's if and when we're ready to start work on it.

Your wad is gonna have a lot of dick sucking, titties, and vaginal imagery.

40oz said:

Let's not forget asses. Lots and lots of asses.

40oz said:

Paging H.R. Giger to the thread

Actually Giger is already pretty entwined with Doom imagery.

Content: what effect does "the void" have? It seems like a more lovecraftian horror (not necessarily Cthulhu but in the "inconceivable to human minds" angle). The effect seems purposefully nebulous so as to allow author freedom in just how he or she decides to portray it. In that case, figuring out an actual recognizable theme seems difficult to me.

What about a post-apocalyptic scenario in which "the void" has already intruded upon the player character's reality? Natural bodies in our world become twisted and perverted, with the originals sometimes apparent and sometimes not, along with whatever horrors originate from the void. This explains why there are hordes of abominations ready for the slaughter in a way that more subtle intrusions won't (unless you want to go for more story-based gameplay).

Why does the player start with a pistol? I dunno, maybe he came out of suspended animation a la Crystalis to arrive in his ruined world. Maybe the eldritch subversions attacked his last holdout and the only thing he could get away with was (of course) his starting weapon.

kmxexii said:

Paging H.R. Giger to the thread

Actually Giger is already pretty entwined with Doom imagery.

Content: what effect does "the void" have? It seems like a more lovecraftian horror (not necessarily Cthulhu but in the "inconceivable to human minds" angle). The effect seems purposefully nebulous so as to allow author freedom in just how he or she decides to portray it. In that case, figuring out an actual recognizable theme seems difficult to me.

What about a post-apocalyptic scenario in which "the void" has already intruded upon the player character's reality? Natural bodies in our world become twisted and perverted, with the originals sometimes apparent and sometimes not, along with whatever horrors originate from the void. This explains why there are hordes of abominations ready for the slaughter in a way that more subtle intrusions won't (unless you want to go for more story-based gameplay).

Why does the player start with a pistol? I dunno, maybe he came out of suspended animation a la Crystalis to arrive in his ruined world. Maybe the eldritch subversions attacked his last holdout and the only thing he could get away with was (of course) his starting weapon.

I was considering a post apocalyptic area myself actually, but I ditched it because I felt that it would take away from the darkness of the game.

As for the void, what I meant was the void itself. The void itself cannot be pictured or portrayed because it's something our minds can't understand, it's a whole other dimension.

I was thinking that in our dimension, the things that come out of the void would appear as things like shadows and even geometrical shapes. (I was thinking the imp could be replaced by a flying black pyramid which rotated as it flew through the air, and each side had a mouth on it from which the projectile would come out).

And another idea I had in mind to fit the surreal, psychedelic style would be a darker version of something like this:

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/6/3/1/33631.jpg?v=1

Those are just my ideas though, I'm not insisting that we use them.

Marnetmar said:

I was considering a post apocalyptic area myself actually, but I ditched it because I felt that it would take away from the darkness of the game.

As for the void, what I meant was the void itself. The void itself cannot be pictured or portrayed because it's something our minds can't understand, it's a whole other dimension.

I was thinking that in our dimension, the things that come out of the void would appear as things like shadows and even geometrical shapes. (I was thinking the imp could be replaced by a flying black pyramid which rotated as it flew through the air, and each side had a mouth on it from which the projectile would come out).

And another idea I had in mind to fit the surreal, psychedelic style would be a darker version of something like this:

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/6/3/1/33631.jpg?v=1

Those are just my ideas though, I'm not insisting that we use them.

Metaphysical FPS?

Lorenzo said:

Metaphysical FPS?

Heh, the first thing I thought of was Flatland. The idea is certainly in a much different tone than Doom (no guts to rip and tear!). Whether it accomplishes this much vaunted "darkness" you guys are clamoring for, I dunno. However alien these things might appear to be, if you put enough bullets into them, traditionally they will stop moving. This removes some of their mystery.

Actually, the emphasis on strange, abstract monsters reminds me of some of the beasts from Hell to Pay, namely the demon and mancubus replacements. The demon was obviously this whirling bundle of scythes without any solid physical base, but the mancubus was even more abstract, though intended to be a flamethrower of some kind.