Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

QUIVER - A new TC for [Eternity?] [Still in Planning Stages, NOTHING is Official]

esselfortium said:

I really wish the sky rained candy.

I really wish the sky rained coffee. Not too hot, not too cold and just the right amount of sugar.

If only the enthusiasm in this thread could be redirected towards completing a stalled project or two instead of adding to their number.

[QUOTE]Marnetmar said:
[B]

kmxexii said:

<robot pictures>

Bleh, don't you think robots are a bit generic?

It wasn't an example as to how I'd like this (potential) project to develop. I just thought the two replacements I mentioned (Demon and Mancubus, top right and bottom right) were good instances of bizarre / abstract design (perhaps owing to the limits of their 3D-rendered models). I see nothing in my statement outright suggesting robots as a theme.

kmxexii said:

It wasn't an example as to how I'd like this (potential) project to develop. I just thought the two replacements I mentioned (Demon and Mancubus, top right and bottom right) were good instances of bizarre / abstract design (perhaps owing to the limits of their 3D-rendered models). I see nothing in my statement outright suggesting robots as a theme.

I apologize, I suppose I infer too much.

Anyway, I've come up with an idea, it's been posted in the OP. Keep in mind, it's all subject to change.

GreyGhost said:

If only the enthusiasm in this thread could be redirected towards completing a stalled project or two instead of adding to their number.

*Co(mm)u(nity)gh* *Cough(est4)*

GreyGhost said:

Hey, how about some optimism? Sure most projects can't even get a handful of maps made, and sure this one needs 100% of all resources replaced, but it has a really, really strong chance of being finished...I can tell these things.

I think the main key to success is taking things nice and slow, plus keeping information organized so everyone's voice is heard.

Then how about "The Void?" It apparently worked for some movies by adding or taking away "The."

Also, the Story so Far / Background / Current idea sounds pretty cool.

Weapon ideas: (I see it's using ZDoom so DECORATE is likely an option)

1 - Punch but use both fists consecutively. (Left Right Left Right etc.)
1 - Sawblade.
2 - A pistol of some sort but more useful than the shitty Doom one.
3 - A normal shotgun.
3 - A semi-automatic shotgun that can shoot up to 6 consecutive blasts but overheats easily and takes a bit to cool down.
4 - Gatling Gun.
5 - Flamethrower.
6 - Dark Matter Shooter - Shoots concentrated blasts of dark matter.
7 - Dark Matter Blaster - Temporarily opens a black hole that can suck enemies (And if you're not careful, you too) inside crushing them. Only works on small enemies and lasts about 5 seconds.

I'd suggest a different person of a different race other than white as per every single shooter in existence. Possibly someone of Middle Eastern descent, you almost never see them as protaganists in shooters.

TrueDude said:

Stuff

I think you missed the point of the wad.It's supposed to be trippy.It needs trippy weapons too!

Damn guys, I had no idea there was a wad already called Void. I don't wanna go with the void because that'd simply be ripping off the original author which is, in my opinion, not cool at all.

Killer: Making the weapons trippy is missing the point actually. The idea is for you to feel like a normal person lost in a twisted world of horrors, not a part of one.

If this is gonna be like Freedoom, the weapons need to act like the original Doom weapons. Dual fists, stronger pistol, auto-shotty, and flamethrower are a no-no. Unless, however, we are doing this for ZDoom with Decorate, but that's not the idea I got from this.

Basically, the weapons will be
1. Fist, Chainsaw-like weapon
2. Pistol
3. Shotgun, Stronger/slower Shotgun
4. Rapidfire Weapon
5. Rocket Launcher-like weapon
6. Rapidfire projectile weapon
7. Single fire rape weapon

I do like the idea of Dark Matter, though.

For the title, how about Outer Darkness? (Sort of a biblical reference to Hell)

PRIMEVAL said:

If this is gonna be like Freedoom, the weapons need to act like the original Doom weapons. Dual fists, stronger pistol, auto-shotty, and flamethrower are a no-no. Unless, however, we are doing this for ZDoom with Decorate, but that's not the idea I got from this.

Basically, the weapons will be
1. Fist, Chainsaw-like weapon
2. Pistol
3. Shotgun, Stronger/slower Shotgun
4. Rapidfire Weapon
5. Rocket Launcher-like weapon
6. Rapidfire projectile weapon
7. Single fire rape weapon

I do like the idea of Dark Matter, though.

For the title, how about Outer Darkness? (Sort of a biblical reference to Hell)

We've shifted away from the freedoom idea ;)

As for Outer Darkness, I'd avoid Hell references just to show respect for id software. But that's just my opinion, I'm not gonna be a dictator here.

Marnetmar said:

We've shifted away from the freedoom idea ;)

As for Outer Darkness, I'd avoid Hell references just to show respect for id software. But that's just my opinion, I'm not gonna be a dictator here.

Erm, wait, this isn't going to be like Freedoom and replace everything that's in Doom in Vanilla style? I missed something there lol

And it doesn't have to be Hell. Outer Darkness may be referencing Hell or separation from God in the Bible, but that doesn't have to be what it means in this case. It's about as vague as "The Void" imo ;)

DooMAD said:

Now it's a ZDoom wad all of a sudden? What happened to slow the fuck down?

No, it's an idea that I haven't entirely explained yet.

Marnetmar said:

No, it's an idea that I haven't entirely explained yet.

The change of thread title seems to suggest it's rather more set in concrete than an idea, but okay.

DooMAD said:

The change of thread title seems to suggest it's rather more set in concrete than an idea, but okay.

I apologize for the confusion, I'll make the title more clear.

Marnetmar said:

(Word): Darkness Beyond

Now that sounds like a documentary about American ghettos.

Hmm..
Dimension: Darkness Beyond
Realms
Death
Others
Them
Event Horizon
Life
Atlantis
Universe
Other Realm
Horizon

Just some words off the top of my head when I think of "Void" or another dimension.

Psycho Nightmare: The Darkness Beyond

Maybe that's overkill.

Marnetmar said:

Making the weapons trippy is missing the point actually. The idea is for you to feel like a normal person lost in a twisted world of horrors, not a part of one.

I do like the idea of possibly having the one or two highest level weapons maybe being "contaminated" by the void. It could be fun if the weapons were interesting enough.

In my opinion making it for ZDoom is a good idea.You have a lot more possibilities,like decorate,ACS scripts,3D floors,jumping and crouching (etc.),some of which would suit this wad nicely.

I vote as well for the zdoom idea

And how about the hitscan zombies are humans mutated beyond recognition?
Like they have human like features, but everything else is messed up. Maybe you can have the gun attached to his chest or the gun BE his chest..

Hmm, I'm not so sure about mutated humans with guns (assuming we take the "void" route). I say it should give off the feeling that it's just humans and "them", nothing in between.

If you're a human, you either go in and come out as a vegetable, or you don't come out at all.

Making this a ZDoom project sounds like an invitation for all sorts of scope/feature creep, especially considering that the whole TC idea is already quite ambitious on its own, and its stated goals have been swaying back and forth with seemingly no direction since the start of the thread.

If this has now moved past being another attempt to recreate doom2.wad, you should probably set down some precise specifications soon for what you want the TC to encompass and what will need to be done, and then assess how realistic these goals are. Freedoom at least has a fairly well-defined endpoint, because the IWADs only contain a finite amount of content that needs to be replaced, but something as vague as "a ZDoom TC" has no such finish line in itself.

I'd argue that such decisions about the scope are just as important as finding a coherent theme in this kind of situation. Otherwise, it's easy to say "hey, lets use ZDoom, because it'll give us more freedom, and we'll be able to use feature x and feature z," and then before you realize it, you've discovered 100 more cool features on the ZDoom wiki, which seem like such a good fit that you just have to use them. And then when your TC is a few years into development, ZDoom comes out with something nifty enough that you just have to include it somehow (something like software-rendered 3d floors, or voxel models, for two examples added since the last major version).

This is especially relevant if this TC is expected to depend on submissions from diverse members of the community, as all of them will inevitably have their own ideas about what the project should include and what sort of non-vanilla features it should use. Without appropriate guidelines set out early, it's easy to let the inmates start running the asylum, even if you have sensible and realistic design goals yourself.

Obviously, if you have the experience and know-how to manage a project of this sort, such unintentional creep can be avoided, worked around, or integrated effectively, but I haven't really seen any indication that this is the case here. I think you should keep it in mind at least, unless you're cool with this thing taking ten years and/or being abandoned halfway through (assuming it can get off the ground at all).

Hmmm, how about, instead of ZDoom, this be made for Eternity instead? Eternity is just as strong and in some cases stronger than ZDoom, and there's very few wads that have been made for it so it could help drum up interest in the source port.