Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

Maybe we should just release the mapset?

Its probably never gonna make it into Megawad status anyway.

What dyall say?

I suppose so.

However, I've got one map I'd really like to finish making to put toward this.

I've been meaning to make something for this, but I've been busy working on other projects. I threw this together today when I saw that you may be releasing the mapset. Nothing major here, would do well as a second or third map in a series. It's Doom 2 map 1, download it here http://www.solidfiles.com/d/8849f59548/

Looks tasty. Seeing how I've only posted a good 3 maps, I believe I qualify.
EDIT: Is custom music allowed?

Certainly.

I've made 3 or 4 tracks for this so far, I might make more depending on how many more maps get put through. You can find the links to my tracks on various posts earlier in the thread.

Honestly, at the very least this project, although I haven't really gotten much better at mapping, or even have produced much, at least it encouraged me to start making midis.

Maybe we could push this up to a 2 episode medium-wad? a good dozen and a half levels?

I was just on here a few days ago and planning on making a suggestion that we start finishing up the project but I didn't want to be mean to anyone who still wanted to make new submissions... but I think it's about time otherwise this will drag on forever.

Submissions won't officially close yet but I think it'd be good if everyone started to get into the finishing project state of mind so we know were we're headed.

Welcome Jaws In Space and dachauncinator! Custom music is most certainly allowed and is in fact strongly encouraged as long as it is produced in MIDI or MUS formats. All maps once finished will be assigned a custom MIDI so if you don't choose one I will as I compile everything, basically.

@Paul D - I didn't really produce much either despite this being my very own project. What I did gain though is the confidence and drive to finish a Doom map and be ambitious in ways I previously would not have bothered with when messing around in Doom Builder, which I'm sure will be valuable to any other Doom projects I undertake in the future, I hope others in this project feel a similar sentiment.

Just played through these maps, have to say they are pretty damn good. Loads better than I was expecting from beginner mappers. I would donate my first map but it needs a load of work done to it and besides I think this project works fine at the current length.

Oh, dear. My map is nowhere near complete! I've had some problems with depression lately and I haven't done any work on Castle Bloodletting. It might be a while before it's finished, so if you want, you can go ahead without it. I'll see if I can get it released elsewhere when it's done. Maybe we'll see a NOVA 2 sometime soon...

Arjak,

I'm sorry to hear about your depression! I'd say a Nova 2 is likely at this point if we are to make an idgames release now cause there's just too much unfinished stuff to ignore. At the same time this has been going for nearly 18 months so I think it's about time we publish something even if it's not 32 levels. I too have unfinished levels, Sensorium I'll likely make an effort to finish for this Nova but Sacrament of Wilderness might have to wait for Nova 2 as I've done hardly any work on it.

mouldy said:

I would donate my first map but it needs a load of work done to it and besides I think this project works fine at the current length.

It's still going to wind up being longer (~20 episodes), and I think it'd be awesome to have your first effort in here since it was quite polished.

On my end I'm working more on the first map I've ever made and trying to get the additional areas done (65% complete). Is there a rough estimate of when you'd want this released kildeth? Knowing a tentative end date will let me know whether or not to work on my cave map in the meantime.

EDIT: Also Paul D, I feel the impulse to snag your latest midi since it also fits to this level. You really have a knack for writing good, atmospheric music so I hope you keep at it here.

dobugabumaru said:

EDIT: Also Paul D, I feel the impulse to snag your latest midi since it also fits to this level. You really have a knack for writing good, atmospheric music so I hope you keep at it here.

Go ahead.
It's actually an edit of the other one, but I ended up adding/changing enough stuff to make it sound new.

I say,

give everyone a month to finish up.

But in 30-or-so days we should just put everything in a mapset and publish.

With the 11 released maps, my 5 and Arjaks Castle Bloodletting we have 17 maps. Thats pretty good.

Also, before release I think the last map, the big monster mash, needs a loooot of balancing. It's too much in such a small space.

I shall add difficulty settings to my second map(Power Core) and then call it quits I think. The Prisoner I think is fine now as it is.

Also Kildeth,

if you want help compiling it all, just say so. I can do what I can, although I have no idea of how to edit music (I imagine it isn't that hard, however)

@ EvilNed - If it's not too much trouble, I'd love it if you could provide a list of maps in order of difficulty so I'll know how to arrange them when I finally compile the wad. I think I can work out the music myself so I don't need much help with that.

Also, along with the 17 maps you mentioned, there is also AlwaysDoomed and I's 'Sensorium' map which I really think should be completed for the project also. I'll try to find time to finish that to a playable standard over the month if I get time between my uni studies other than that an early April deadline for submissions sounds alright.

Apart from those 18 and some potential submissions we may still receive, we haven't forgotten any submissions lost in the recent pages of this thread have we? Might be worth taking a quick look if someone hasn't already cause I'm not quite sure what's been submitted after the last alpha I released.

Perhaps we should hold off listing the maps by difficulty until they're all in, so we can compare them all at once. Once I'm done with mine, I'll do another run through of all the maps again and provide any additional feedback.

===Updates since last alpha===

Paul D updated Teleportarium (Download)
Stygian updated Ring of Gyges (previously Cistern) (Download) (And nub_hat updated the midi--Download)
Arjak updated Sewage Processing (Download)
cannonball provided v.4 of the Prisoner (Download)

===New/Incomplete levels since last alpha===

EvilNed updated his first four maps (Download) and Sewer City (Download)
Jaws in Space provided a small level (Download)
Paul D provided an incomplete level based on his dreams (Download)
MajorRawne provided an incomplete level based on "The Crusher" (Download)

===Potential submissions===

My three maps, Immundum (pic), Leaden Delve (pic), and MAP31 (no pic)
kildeth/AlwaysDoomed's Sensorium
Arjak's Castle Bloodletting
mouldy's first map Bad Blood (pretty please mouldy?)
dachauncinator's map
Maybe another map from Primeval

So we have a potential maximum of 28 maps with all of these, although it might boil down to ~24 in the end. We're not that far off from having a megawad, although it could push off the release until the summer or fall if we were to aim for all 32. Though it might be detrimental to the overall quality of the megawad to scavenge around for a few more maps, I figure that since these are all "newbie" maps anyway the quality from map to map may already be quite large that it shouldn't matter too much. I think we're close enough that we should just push for it, but it depends what you guys think.

If I missed anything feel free to let me know.

dobugabumaru said:

(pretty please mouldy?)

hehehe, well if the deadline can hold off for a while I can probably sort something out...

Well, after thinking about it for a while, I've decided to release the concept version of the sequel to Teleportarium.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/immaterium2.wad

I'm having kind of a slow time working on it, but I'll start really working on it earnestly and see what I can do.

No exit yet. It ends a little after getting the yellow skullkey.

I imagine this level as either the intro level to "Hell", or maybe an episode closer based on Teleportarium being the first level in the episode, but I'm worried it's too thematically different from many other Hell levels.

In my mind, Hell isn't some physical place with fire and brimstone and GSTONE everywhere, I interpret it more as the Warp in Warhammer40k.

Dobuga,

I know I have a few WIPs around, I could certainly crunch another map out by the end of the month.

Maybe even two, as I'll be doing a lot of computer time in late March doing pretty much nothing. But I'll only promise one.

Personally, only reason I figured we should push for a release is the fact that the project seemed to be dead, with no movement forward. No reason to let it go to waste. But if people wanna finish up their maps, I say good! But let's not let it wither away again.

Kildeth, I can certainly do that for you. Once again, let me get back to you on that. Late this month, I'll PM you my suggested order, with links to them on my own personal ftp so that they're all in one place.

@Evil Ned - Thanks a lot, that's a big help! No rush though as we'll still have more levels coming in to add to the list.

Now that we've calculated that we may have up to 28 maps ready for this project once some more work gets done, I think we should once again try and see this through to completion with 32 maps. With the few level slots we have left over, we could use some of the unfinished scrap levels donated to us early in this thread (there were a lot of them, people just kinda dumped them here so we could finish them off in a lot of circumstances) and use them as the last four or so levels so they don't go to waste. Some of them would have to have their formats converted to limit-removing but other than that they look to be a good base for some quick levels if we want to finish up soon.

^ I also think it's also a good idea to see where we're at once April/May comes around, just to make sure we're on target towards a full megawad. If there's only like 20 or so maps by that time, it might be more convenient to just push for a release than wait for 12 more maps to be created, at least if no more are in production.

@Paul D I ran through Immaterium and it was very impressive. I really like that it's a twisted, reverse version of Teleportarium and it has a couple of neat tricks and frightening atmosphere to go along with it. I think it would be a great contender for the opening hell map, with Teleportarium preceding it. Definitely keep working on it.

I just remembered, I even have a finished WAD I decided not to submit to this mapset, because I thought it wasn't good enough. But it would be nice to have a finished MegaWad up. I'll rebalance it and submit it!

I figure since DGM posted the situation on the maps, I'd post a mini-library of all the (Good) midis I've written/arranged for this project so far:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/brace2.mid
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/final.mid (Already in beta as D_DM2TTL)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/ohno2.mid (Already in beta as D_READ_M)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/quickdgm.mid (Claimed by Dobugabumaru)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/quickfast.mid (Claimed by Dobugabumaru)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/sangy2.mid

Stuff I have nothing to do with, but think should be in the wad:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/ingame4.mid
Dune 2 "Desert of Doom" by Frank Klepacki and Dwight Okahara

The midi for Immaterium is "Disturbed Thoughts" (ordos mentat) by Frank Klepacki and Dwight Okahara, Again from Dune 2, Except it has had its tempo reduced from 120 to 90

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/lands76.mid
Lands Of Lore: Throne of Chaos "Castle Cimmeria" by Frank Klepacki, Paul S. Mudra & Dwight K. Okahara
Possible map 29 or map 30 track? I has a very strong endgame "hopeless journey" vibe.
Doesn't loop right in Zdoom based ports, I can't figure out why.

A sixth map from me.

This was my first attempt at speedmapping, and one I initially rejected for this project as I thought it was too sub-par.

I replayed it now, I don't think it's that bad. Certainly an adequate filler map and I do want to both get the map out there and support the project.

http://www.filmklubben.eu/wads/Roundtable.wad

Played your map EvilNed. While it's certainly not bad, there's nothing really stand-out or particularly interesting about it, which is to be expected from a speedmap. It can be used as an adequate filler map although I think it needs some sprucing up in order to be more presentable for the final thing. Balance is really spot on though, great mix of health and ammo.

Also good to see midis being organized. While maps are pretty easy to come by, good/fitting midis aren't. The more contributed here the merrier.

ok, here's my bad blood map which you can add to the party:
http://www.mediafire.com/?e6si1h6pp35n1mw

I tidied up some mistakes and added difficulties, although I'm not sure how great the difficulty settings are - I have a feeling I made the lower ones too easy.

If anyone spots any errors or has problems let me know. I've no idea where it would fit into the proceedings, I'll let others decide. Also if anyone has any suggestions for the music...