Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

Can anyone tell me how to get the PSX Doom TC running on Windows 7? There's a stupid .bat file - AARGH!!! When I follow the instructions it just loads Doom 2 map 01 in GZDoom. Oh, and the screen resolution appears to have changed.

Avoozl mentioned he found some messed up color lighting in the master levels has anyone else came across any color lighting problems in the final doom levels? I made a program to color them automatically there could be a problem with it.

I've played the TC on my Windows 7 laptop and I haven't had any problems. So I'm not sure what's causing your problem MajorRawne.

Another typo: Vesperas is called Vesparas.

Also, vertical offsets are wrong on those two entrance doors:

(The Crusher and The Citadel, if the imgur pics don't load.)

In any and all UDMF maps, all sectors should have dropactors = true.

MajorRawne said:

Can anyone tell me how to get the PSX Doom TC running on Windows 7? There's a stupid .bat file - AARGH!!! When I follow the instructions it just loads Doom 2 map 01 in GZDoom. Oh, and the screen resolution appears to have changed.

Did you extract all of the files to the same folder as GZDoom? It should just work when you run the batch file.

You can just load psxdoom.pk3 with Doom 2 as the iwad (TNT and Plutonia should work too) and it'll load up everything else itself. The batch file only really exists to generate a new config based on yours which has some settings tweaked for more authentic gameplay. Stuff that can't be changed in mapinfo.

Impboy4 said:

No it's correct. Dr Sleep named it VESPERAS.WAD.

Vesperas (correct name) is (erroneously) called Vesparas (in the TC).

Gez said:

Vesperas (correct name) is (erroneously) called Vesparas (in the TC).

Oops, my bad. I thought you meant it should be called Vesparas. Sorry for misunderstanding. :O

I re-integrated sodaholic's PSXGFX.WAD into the main pk3 with slade3, no conversion was done and the 2 door textures pointed out above have realigned.
Ill set all dropactors to true in the UDMF maps then re-upload 2.1 again.

I noticed a error in the color lighting on map63 CANYON. There is (color12 R49G162B159) in sectors 151 and 152 when there should be none. The color error is also in the Sector RGB Lists of fpsxmapconv so I assume there will be more. Unless there are obvious like that they will go unnoticed by myself

Gez said:

In any and all UDMF maps, all sectors should have dropactors = true.

Zdoom wiki says its only taged sectors that need dropactors set to true. but thats only when converting from doom format too udmf. The final doom maps were converted too udmf from hexen format. do you recon that still applys?

Of course, since originally they were converted from Doom format (sorta) to Hexen format.

If you play the Master Levels episodes, you'll see several of these monster closet ambushes where an area instantly opens and you see the monsters (and possibly pickup items) fall from the ceiling. (Vesperas is a good example.)

Did the various level bugs in both normal Doom and Final Doom get fixed? I remember Nessus had an unobtainable secret for one.

Also, Aubrey released the official PS1 Doom soundtrack, where quite a few tracks are much higher quality with restored sections. Maybe that can be made as a seperate optional download, much like the PS1 startup section?

Ragnor said:

Aubrey released the official PS1 Doom soundtrack, where quite a few tracks are much higher quality with restored sections. Maybe that can be made as a seperate optional download, much like the PS1 startup section?

As much as I'd like to do that, I think we would need to get his permission, seeing that he is asking $10 for the download.

Yeah, I figured that myself. I will be buying the soundtrack to all three of his Doom albums, and I'd like to hear the full versions in the TC somehow.

Also, I was going to report Vesparas myself, kind of got sidetracked though

But this was to match the original PSX Doom so it should still use the PSX reduced tracks.

fenderc01 said:

As much as I'd like to do that, I think we would need to get his permission, seeing that he is asking $10 for the download.

Agreed. It'd be incredibly shitty of us to just go ahead and include it in any way.

Whoa guys, you make it sound like I'm suggesting piracy :/

Hes doing a lot for the Doom community recently, even promised to post the PSX Archvile sounds if he ever found them, I was thinking of a way to honour his efforts, but I guess it was taken the wrong way.

Avoozl, thats why I mentioned a seperate download. I know its goal is accuracy first and foremost, but additional options cant hurt.

Am sorry guys but the only way these bug are going to get sorted out is if you fix them your self or take a note of them as you find them and report them here. with some sort of details. like the map its on, where about on the map it is, maybe even load it up into doom builder and take some sector numbers down.
Making statements like "I've noticed quite a few misplaced/missing colored lighting" doesn't help unless your more specific.

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/EliteJason/library/psxfinaldoom%20project%20coloured%20lighting%20issues
Just open the one you want to see and check for the map name next to the file extension in the browser site bar.

In paradox the rooms with the blue torches are lacking blue lighting and one of the rooms with the blue torches which also has a door with yellow strips on the side has yellow lighting but the problem is that even the room has yellow lighting when it has blue torches, the triple key doors are lacking coloured lighting besides the coloured strips.

In fistula the entry ways with the key skull bars don't have any coloured lighting.

In catwalk the platform with the red key on top has blue lighting instead of red.

With the last three shots I don't need to explain.

ScottGray said:

Making statements like "I've noticed quite a few misplaced/missing colored lighting" doesn't help unless your more specific.

I just thought I should mention that most of the maps in that episode had those problems so it is known that they still need working on and because I didn't think to take notes and screenshots as I played through it, I did want to post screenshots but I didn't get around to doing it yet.

Avzool, am sorry man, I read what I wrote there and I didn't mean for it to sound so negative, I'm getting frustrated with myself cause I don't have the time I uses to have and am missing allot of the bugs cause am rushing though the levels.

Anyway thanks for the pics Ill get them sorted out but Iv got a feeling some of these are mistakes in the actual PlayStation final doom game. The bottom right one for instance with the red key door on map63 is like that in the actual game. Is it suppose to to be like that? who knows, So we got to ask our self this, do we add red light to make it look right or keep it true to the game. I vote for make it red, what does every one else think?

...I'm on the fence for that sort of change, or 'fix'. Correcting actual bugs that affect the gameplay are one thing (removing/shifting stuck/lost monsters and other items), but purely aesthetic changes like this don't seem necessary and... oh fuck it, we can wave the original goal of being 100% 'accurate' goodbye anyway if we've been going around fixing bugs and adding 4P co-op compatibility as it is.

So in other words, sod it -- I see no harm in making these fixes. Sometimes they're for the best.

BaronOfStuff said:

I see no harm in making these fixes. Sometimes they're for the best.

If the original PlayStation would have been online and had software patches, these bugs possibly would have been fixed. I would say as long as it doesn't change the experience, then go for it!

Thanks to everyone for their advice, the bloody PSXDoom2.0.pk3 file was not extracting... must have extracted it about 8 times and different things were missing each time. *scary mystery music*

Now to play the SHIT out of this... :D

The blue door with the yellow lighting in "Human BBQ" most likely needs to be fixed, one of the maps which I don't remember at the moment had rooms with green torches and green lighting but one of the green torch rooms didn't have lighting at all but I will have to take a screenshot of it, a few of the shots I already have taken may be invalid though, only two of them really like the exit room one with the red skull poles obviously never had red lighting to begin with.

If fixing map bugs present in the original version is considered, MAP89 (MAP29 from PSX Final Doom) lacks a switch to open a secret door, preventing to get 100% secrets and 100% items. (It's secret #1 on The Death's Domain that's concerned.)

There are a few other levels with impossible secrets (I haven't noted them, sorry), but they're usually of the "secret sector is too small to stand in" variety and you can still get whatever items it contains. This is the only one where things are truly unreachable.

BaronOfStuff said:

So in other words, sod it -- I see no harm in making these fixes. Sometimes they're for the best.

Definitely in favour of the changes

Theres also the Nessus secret (Its detailed on Doom Wiki) and the old Unholy Cathedral secret that was removed in the original TC. If all secrets will be made accessible, might as well be thorough. Is "accuracy" worth keeping things broken that should not be broken?