Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

Was the pistol made more powerful in PSX Doom? Or were pistol zombies given less HP? Because it seems like, in this TC, pistol zombies are getting gibbed somewhat commonly by bullets, which never happens in standard PC Doom.

Megamur said:

Was the pistol made more powerful in PSX Doom? Or were pistol zombies given less HP? Because it seems like, in this TC, pistol zombies are getting gibbed somewhat commonly by bullets, which never happens in standard PC Doom.

Same damage, not sure what it is that causes it, but you think that's bad, I once somehow gibbed a zombieman with a non-beserked fist.

Maybe they have less health. Or maybe the negative HP value required to gib a zombieman is lesser in the TC? I admit, I don't really have a clue how all that ZDoom monster behavior modification stuff works.

The required negative health for gibbing is only half of the PC version, so it's only -10% to gib a zombieman.

Gibbing with a basic fist is relatively common (maximum of 20dmg).

I've never seen a pistol zombie get gibbed with a punch or pistol shot outside of the TC. Maybe it's just because I'm a vanilla purist, so I'm much more accustomed to vanilla's random number generator for damage values. ZDoom might make zombie-splosions more common.

Dragonsbrethren said:

It's not ZDoom, it's a change made specifically for the TC.

Ah, I misread that.

iirc, it was done to get PSX behaviour as correct as possible, since zombies could apparantly be gibbed by the pistol. Not that I ever remember that. I would play my Final Doom copy and see if it ever does happen, but modern ports have kind of ruined the original with better controls and speed..

BaronOfStuff said:

Works fine for me. Which version of the TC are you using? Have you checked the psxdoom.bat for filename errors?

I'm using 2.132. Psxdoom.bat has no filename errors. It hasn't been modified in any way.

I'm experiencing the same thing with regular ZDoom as well.

The PSX Doom TC will start perfectly in zdoom-2.8pre-220-geb186a5.7z, but then when I try to start it in any of the subsequent svn versions, regular Doom 2 starts.

Captain Red said:

Is there a way to re-enable the bullet and blood decals for doom PSX?

You can try opening the PK3 and deleting decaldef.txt, but like Avoozl said there used to be a bug where decals would only show on switch textures, and I'm not actually sure why. The decaldef is really only there to stop that bug, otherwise we'd probably just set cl_maxdecals to 0 in the batch file.

Dragon do you want the cl_maxdecals to 0 in the batch file for the next release?

Is there any other levels that the Final Doom Bonus tracks would be good in as well as the last 3 master levels. I can build it into the latest version of Sp00kyFox's PSXTCMUS from OST tool.

If decals are working right now, we could do that instead of having decaldefs, for the weirdos who like them. I still have no idea what was causing that bug, though, and having decals only work on switch textures is bizarre.

ScottGray said:

Dragon do you want the cl_maxdecals to 0 in the batch file for the next release?

Is there any other levels that the Final Doom Bonus tracks would be good in as well as the last 3 master levels. I can build it into the latest version of Sp00kyFox's PSXTCMUS from OST tool.

You could also make use of the PSX Doom bonus tracks. Aubrey hasn't said if Plague Rats and Suffocate are cut tracks or new things, but I like assigning them to secret levels. Plague Rats sounds like theres noisy bugs flying around, its great in Marshes. Total Lamentation is pretty much an excuse to go crazy with Mt Erebus' track, so has no real history, but I like it on Redemption Denied.

Ragnor Plague Rats and Suffocate are news to me. I bought the soundtrack when it first came out and they weren't included :(

Ok so Plague Rats on the Marshes
and Suffocate on the The Mansion or Fortress of Mystery?

If you bought the soundtrack you do have the right to the bonus tracks. You just need to message either Aubrey or the bandcamp staff and they'll let you download them free of charge. I bought the Final Doom one before the three bonus tracks were out, and had to do this.

Suffocate is a very quiet track, it could go in either. But yeah, Plague Rats is wonderful on Marshes. Sounds like you actually are where the level says you are with the buzzing bugs :p

Maybe you could put Total Lamentation on Fear, if its still included, if you want an excuse to use all the bonus tracks. It is a literal bonus track with no real history though, so its not too important.

Is there a Doom Builder config for the PSX Doom TC? If not, are there plans to create one? I've got my video mode just right and have been enjoying the hell out of this thing, no pun intended.

Job said:

Is there a Doom Builder config for the PSX Doom TC? If not, are there plans to create one? I've got my video mode just right and have been enjoying the hell out of this thing, no pun intended.

What about "Doom in UDMF"?

DeXiaZ said:

What about "Doom in UDMF"?

I'll put my ignorance on display here - is there anything else to it besides mapping in UDMF? Are there any other settings, etc that you need to utilize to essentially map for this TC?

Awesome. I'll have to give it a try this weekend. It would be nice for people to start seeing PSX Doom as something you can map for specifically.

Aside from using only the textures/flats found in PSXDOOM.pk3 (F_SKY1 being the exception), things to consider are staying within the guidelines mentioned here, and using these rgb values for sector colouring. There's more to making an authentic-feeling map than just throwing some colour lighting around and using one of Aubrey's PSX Doom music tracks.

This post also mentions a decent enough method of checking if your map's geometry would cause horrible slowdown.

To me a PSX-style map is using the textures, lighting, sound and atmosphere. I'd love to see some maps that break free of the height limits of the original as well as the monster limits but still use everything else.

The height limits are an important part of it to me, too. I actually think the maps play better with Doom's default mechanics when they're shorter. I like Downtown and Industrial Zone more in Lost Levels, I'm kinda kicking myself for not doing the same to The Living End.

Depends on a map-by-map basis of course. Some of the Doom 2 maps felt wrong to me being super short, some felt natural.

If I had to choose to keep one of the limitations though, it'd be height over monster variety for sure.

consider that some levels require the supremem ability of PC, its not worth destroying a level to gain the full PSX specs.

I remember back in the day that there were some areas in PSX that I didnt understand why they were so crippled down in size, tho I didnt know why back then.

Alright I finally got a chance to try the PSX Doom TC after an annoying roadblock. To my surprise, the music doesn't work properly. The track for the Williams logo during startup works, but nothing else.

I'm using the version of GZDoom provided in ScottGray's link; yeah, it's an outdated version, but the problem is present in multiple versions (including latest) and I think this version is good as reference for now.

I tried playing with the sound settings, didn't fix it.