Good wads to use with Brutal Doom?

Anything boom or vanilla compatible should work with it just fine (assuming there is no dehacked patch that alters the player's or monster's abilities). So take a quick look at the text file.

For example, everything in fullmetalveran33's post should work, with the possible exception of 'zpack' and 'It only gets worse', since those are both zdoom wads.

Share this post


Link to post

According to Brutal DOOM's text file, it won't work with PWADs that contain any DECORATE editing (e.g. ones that add new monsters or weapons). I'm guessing Alien Vendetta, for example, won't work.

I ask because I'm trying to get Hell Revealed to work but don't know how. I'm using Skulltag 0.98c with Brutal Doom V013 on Doom 2 which I downloaded from Steam. Is there a batch file or something I could make to get HR to run with BD?

Share this post


Link to post
terminator44 said:

According to Brutal DOOM's text file, it won't work with PWADs that contain any DECORATE editing (e.g. ones that add new monsters or weapons). I'm guessing Alien Vendetta, for example, won't work.

Err... Alien Vendetta is a mapset for vanilla Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
lupinx-Kassman said:

Anything boom or vanilla compatible should work with it just fine (assuming there is no dehacked patch that alters the player's or monster's abilities, and I haven't seen anyone post a wad with such features).

Scythe 2 comes to mind.

Share this post


Link to post

Right now I am playing Hell Revealed with Brutal Doom on HMP and it works just fine.

The only problem it seems is that where there are a shitloads of enemies on screen at once the game can lag a lot because of the new graphical effects that the mod adds into the game, though this could just be because my laptop isn't intended for playing games. It runs smoothly enough most of the time though.

Share this post


Link to post

From my personal experience, God Mode is a must while playing the Hell Revealed series with Brütal Doom in Ultra Violence AND with the -fast parameter.

Call me noobish, but unless you're really, really good at evading attacks (and are a Doom God), you'll become minced meat within seconds. -_-'

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

Right now I am playing Hell Revealed with Brutal Doom on HMP and it works just fine.

The only problem it seems is that where there are a shitloads of enemies on screen at once the game can lag a lot because of the new graphical effects that the mod adds into the game, though this could just be because my laptop isn't intended for playing games. It runs smoothly enough most of the time though.


Maybe I did something wrong with the unzipping. I got Doom 2 from Steam and Skulltag 0.98c and the latest version of Brutal Doom. I'm trying to make a batch file that will just open Hell Revealed with Brutal Doom but I can only get it to work with the DosBox setup, and I don't want that.

Share this post


Link to post
terminator44 said:

I got Doom 2 from Steam and Skulltag 0.98c and the latest version of Brutal Doom. I'm trying to make a batch file that will just open Hell Revealed with Brutal Doom but I can only get it to work with the DosBox setup, and I don't want that.

Have you tried following what fraggle (and Linguica, and myk...) posted?

Share this post


Link to post
HavoX said:

Have you tried following what fraggle (and Linguica, and myk...) posted?


That doesn't really help. It doesn't say anything that applies to what I want to do. I just made a batch file to run the Hell Revealed wad with Brutal Doom. It worked the first time, although the status bar turned to red and the Doom 2 level names are still used. Every subsequent running of the file has led to BSOD X(.

I'll think of something. Thanks for all your help, guys. I think I have a pretty good idea of which wads I want to take a look at... as soon as I can get them to work.

Share this post


Link to post
terminator44 said:

That doesn't really help. It doesn't say anything that applies to what I want to do. I just made a batch file to run the Hell Revealed wad with Brutal Doom. It worked the first time, although the status bar turned to red and the Doom 2 level names are still used. Every subsequent running of the file has led to BSOD X(.

Try using ZDL.

Share this post


Link to post
terminator44 said:

That doesn't really help. It doesn't say anything that applies to what I want to do. I just made a batch file to run the Hell Revealed wad with Brutal Doom. It worked the first time, although the status bar turned to red and the Doom 2 level names are still used. Every subsequent running of the file has led to BSOD X(.

I'll think of something. Thanks for all your help, guys. I think I have a pretty good idea of which wads I want to take a look at... as soon as I can get them to work.


Why not just use Gzdoom?

Its what I do and it works great with Brutal Doom. It doesn't require a new install either since Gzdoom is basically just a single folder with the gzdoom stuff in it.

Hell, I think I have like 2 or 3 different Gzdoom folders on my hard drive for the mods that I use.

Share this post


Link to post
Marnetmar said:

nuts.wad


lol.

Even without Brutal Doom it kills your computer. Playing it with Brutal Doom would probably make it explode 0_o

Share this post


Link to post

Anything that doesnt rapes your face with traps that consists of opening doors surrounding you with 10 shotgunners. In other words, dont play HR or HR2 with it.

Bloodpack is a good one to play with it. Most of maps looks terrible, but they play nice. What this wad lacks in detail, it compensates in gameplay. It has lots of Berserk Packs in all levels, so you can Rip and Tear anybody anytime.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/bloodpack
(PS: Download Bloodpack, not ZBloodpack)

Doom 2 reloaded uses the BD gameplay mechanics in a nice way with it's monster placement. Also, there is a level that you must avoid imps and revenants without firing any guns or you will alert a horde of 100 archviles. This map is an ass to complete in Vanilla Doom, but with BD, with the fists that doesnt alert monsters you can perform some stealth kills and good fist fights against imps and revs
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15885

Share this post


Link to post
Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Anything that doesnt rapes your face with traps that consists of opening doors surrounding you with 10 shotgunners. In other words, dont play HR or HR2 with it.


Uhm, I am playing Hell Revealed with it right now without any real problems. Granted that I am playing on Hurt me plenty instead of UV like I usually do, but that's only because Hell Revealed is so tough that even on HMP its really challenging.

Share this post


Link to post
Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Anything that doesnt rapes your face with traps that consists of opening doors surrounding you with 10 shotgunners. In other words, dont play HR or HR2 with it.

Aw, man... you're no fun, you know that? :P

Bloodpack seems like fun though, even though it doesn't have all the details.

Share this post


Link to post
Marnetmar said:

nuts.wad


I wish. I know a guy who has a custom-built computer with the latest hardware and about 20 gigs of RAM that could probably run it. I have no such luck.

hardcore_gamer said:

Why not just use Gzdoom?

Its what I do and it works great with Brutal Doom. It doesn't require a new install either since Gzdoom is basically just a single folder with the gzdoom stuff in it.

Hell, I think I have like 2 or 3 different Gzdoom folders on my hard drive for the mods that I use.


I tried the GZdoom version before the Skulltag one. I couldn't get it to work. I don't want to switch at this point since that means my save files won't work anymore.



@Sergeant_Mark_IV:

Good to hear advice from the man himself. Haven't heard of Bloodpack or Doom 2 Reloaded before. I might check them out. I still want to give the HR wads a shot, if only to to see how nut-bustingly hard they really are.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm playing Reverie with it right now. A good way to find a random map to play with is to go to the database, click on random file, and you're done! Just make sure it's for vanilla.

Share this post


Link to post

Look for the videos of "chrisdragon" on Youtube. Or you can find him here as Mr.Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

Scythe 2 comes to mind.

scythe 2 uses a dehacked patch to modify the nazi and commander keen, the last one doesn't support the new blood from brutal doom and is often used in the last levels
scythe 1 is a good alternative however

@Marnetmar: O_O *explosion*

Share this post


Link to post

I assumed that's what Kristus meant: that Scythe 2 comes to mind as an example of a vanilla or Boom wad that does feature dehacked changes to the monsters' abilities.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now