Doom 2 The Way id Did [Final Beta Released!]

Nice, I'll see if I can make a new map. (feeling so nostalgia just as I started for DTWID) :P :P

One better advantage than the previous one is that it has already a website from the start.

Edit: I just remembered a very old wad which failed to enter TNT2, that features a small Doom II map. And I think with some work it could be a fitting map. Will upload after 10-20 minutes.

The link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bxgq3ez8oem2u4u

This map isn't touched yet to fit the project, it is harder than what MAP01 suggests. But this is the skeletal build of the map. With some improvements it will be a good map. Waiting for your feedback.

This map will be in E1, American's style.

Share this post


Link to post
C30N9 said:

Nice, I'll see if I can make a new map. (feeling so nostalgia just as I started for DTWID) :P :P

One better advantage than the previous one is that it has already a website from the start.

Edit: I just remembered a very old wad which failed to enter TNT2, that features a small Doom II map. And I think with some work it could be a fitting map. Will upload after 10-20 minutes.

The link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bxgq3ez8oem2u4u

This map isn't touched yet to fit the project, it is harder than what MAP01 suggests. But this is the skeletal build of the map. With some improvements it will be a good map. Waiting for your feedback.

This map will be in E1, American's style.


Played through your map - just awesome... so simply Doom 1 but in Doom2, hard to describe, also visually nearly identical to what Doom burned into my mind - A+.


Entry for...
Map30 (by Alfonzo) - visually and idea wise great so far.

Map24 (by Essel) - great impression of a later on Doom2 map.
Design seems spot on, enjoyed my moving forward and fighting - can't say more because haven't played through it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
_bruce_ said:

Played through your map - just awesome... so simply Doom 1 but in Doom2, hard to describe, also visually nearly identical to what Doom burned into my mind - A+.


Entry for...
Map30 (by Alfonzo) - visually and idea wise great so far.

Map24 (by Essel) - great impression of a later on Doom2 map.
Design seems spot on, enjoyed my moving forward and fighting - can't say more because haven't played through it yet.


There's nothing wrong on giving feedback here, but the more maps will be submitted, the more cluttered this thread can become.
You can comment the maps in their respective entry pages:
e.g. http://d2twid.herokuapp.com/submissions/8
(you won't see the comment section unless you're registered tho')

Share this post


Link to post

I have been hiding this. New map in E1 McGee style (hopefully) :P




(And yes in shot 1 the lights are blinking)
(In shot 2, there is mistaken lighted water sector, just noticed it now)

Share this post


Link to post

Looks Good, C3.

Perhaps the geometry could be less square perhaps? But the theme and idea is a really good start. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Breaking out another McGee with MAP04's The Siltyards. There are a couple of alignment and texture issue to iron out, and it's one secret shy of a duo, but for the most part it's wrapped and ready to blast. Give it a spin!

>> http://d2twid.herokuapp.com/submissions/13 <<

"An earth and industrial themed American map that aims partly to introduce the player to arena style combat... and a certain skeletal adversary."

Share this post


Link to post

Alfonzo --> comments on the site.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Looks Good, C3.

Perhaps the geometry could be less square perhaps? But the theme and idea is a really good start. :)


Thanks. And don't worry about the squares. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Foodles said:

Are the maps for this going to be as brown as some of the maps in Doom2?


Let's hope not. But it's one of the main textures of E1, so basically, few maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Foodles said:

Are the maps for this going to be as brown as some of the maps in Doom2?


Mine is strictly brown on brown - as it should be.

Share this post


Link to post

C3N09 sends this along on American McGee's mapping style:

American McGee is, no doubt, one of the important mappers for Doom II. He is the master of the first episode (first half) except MAP01. What is special about him is, he mapped while maintaining realistic looks within limits. As he said "The map has to look that it came from NASA or an engineering base", and his results came out quite good, half real and half game-ish.

If I wanted to map in his style, I wouldn't only think about the special "visuals", I would think about how I would have played it if I was younger. When I played Doom II a long time ago, I was feeling the horror. In MAP02, I always got scared going through the first tunnel, hearing the monsters active, but can't approach me. I stood for ages inside after clicking the first switch, afraid of what would come behind there. Once I went through, I got to the point where you must fall underground, and you know what I felt about it...

This also happened in MAP03, if I shoot, I hear the Imp awake by the window. It is so dark there, and the only thing I can see is the windows possessed by zombies. Going from there took me big courage to proceed. Let's not forget the spectres roaming around over the water, I would never fall there.

Same as MAP04-05 (06 is somewhat less dark after the first area).

Also, windows looking to dark areas made me scared, because it made me say "Do I have to go to there?"

--------

Gameplay in most of his maps seems mostly linear, (except MAP05) but yet entertaining and wide. He focuses mainly on essential routes, only sometimes adding small optional areas unlike Peterson's big optional areas. Windows you can jump out of are also welcome. It is noticed that in some maps, a late area is linked with an early one after reaching that point. In MAP02, the floor between the 2 tunnels will be opened later. And in MAP06, another door is opened between the last and first areas giving the player the ability to get back easily.

Notice how he makes doors separate from the wall with 8 long lines. Notice how he uses in most places "switch" doors instead of normal doors, so the player can't get the door down manually plus monsters can't use them. Notice how he puts the light decoration into the walls. Notice how he makes a mini window for the key to show it to players (MAP02-05). Notice how he makes lifts far away to be activated by crossing a line for better access (similiar to Romero). Notice how he makes the switches separate from the wall the same as doors, even if it goes with the surrounding wall textures. Notice how detailed his maps are.

Though, after all I said above, maps 14 and 22 kinda ruins things from here, but these points are more focused on episode 1.

Thanks
Hope I helped

Share this post


Link to post

I want to tell something all mappers creating for this project. Doom the Way id Did was awesome and difficulty wise only a little bit harder than the original. This is the way it should have been and it was. D2TWiD should also be only a little bit harder. Please, don't listen to naysayers whining that it was too easy and don't create Hell Revealed 3 or something equally tedious. It was perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
pcorf said:

I submitted a level for MAP32 - http://d2twid.herokuapp.com/submissions/17

Its sort of a mix of MAP31 and MAP32 with similar thing placement and a boss battle at the end with both a Spider and Cyberdemon.


Pics look good, but I don't know if Wolfenstein will be included. But I do like your concept, instead of making a remake of the original levels, custom one is made. Good job. :P

Share this post


Link to post

Personally I think it would be cool if the secret levels were the first and last levels of Spear of Destiny.

Share this post


Link to post

I think we first need to set up a "Wolfenstein 3-D the Way Id Did" community project, and then take the first and last level from the first episode of that.



(I don't actually think that.)

Share this post


Link to post

Also to make this trully authentic, someone first needs to code a Doom editor that works exactly like the one id used, and all maps have to made with it. ;)

That and ya'll need to go back to doom.exe v1.3, or whatever they were using during development. None of this fancy ports stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
C30N9 said:

Pics look good, but I don't know if Wolfenstein will be included. But I do like your concept, instead of making a remake of the original levels, custom one is made. Good job. :P


If there were no Wolfenstein levels as MAP31 and 32 well it will not really qualify as "Doom 2 the way id did" .... lots of time to decide and looking forward to the final release.

Share this post


Link to post
pcorf said:

If there were no Wolfenstein levels as MAP31 and 32 well it will not really qualify as "Doom 2 the way id did" .... lots of time to decide and looking forward to the final release.

I am half with you... sorta.
I'm likin the idea of say a wolfendoom-style map as a deliberate homage to the original doom2 secret levels, but forcing map31 and 32 to be wolf style orthogonal maps would be a mistake imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Marnetmar said:

We put "The way id did" in the title for a purpose ;)

To get attention? Well, it worked! You even got John Romero to post in your thread. I thought the goal was to create the "lost levels" from the original Doom, but why would those lost levels contain many "homages" from the original levels like dtwid does? It's just another Doom megawad that follows the exact same format as the original.

Share this post


Link to post
TimeOfDeath said:

but why would those lost levels contain many "homages" from the original levels like dtwid does?


Which homages are you talking about?

Share this post


Link to post

off the top of my head:

e3m9 = e3m6 clone
one map had a soulsphere secret like in e3m3
e3m1 start room was a clone of e3m1 start room
e1m8 e2m8 e3m8 were "boss" levels

I'd have to replay the wad to remember more.
I liked the wad, though, and rated it, omg, 5 stars on /idgames, even though I had criticisms, like only 1 cyberdemon in 27 maps. Not cool.

Share this post


Link to post
This topic is now closed to further replies.