• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

vdgg said:

I sat down and played through these:

bean - (vanilla compatible) - cannonball

bean looks like an HR tribute, "needs height variation", the toughest and meanest of them four.

Thanks, I was going for a tough map approach. If it's ok with Timeofdeath I will add more detail to my map, more height, decoration etc. I probably won't change the gameplay, unless I add difficulty settings into that.

GreyGhost - so the only thing that has to be added besides map data is a scripts lump? That's sounds good to me.

glenzinho - I'm not sure what j4rio's intended strategy is for str1, but one strategy is DON'T SHOOT, press the switch by the cyber, dodge the cybers rockets and let it kill the monsters, when the cyber dies start killing the monsters yourself, and strafe around the perimeter when the mancubus teleport in.

cannonball - sure, people can post updates if they want.

//EDIT I did eventually finish this, but I jumped twice to get over some Demons when I was trapped....

JUMPING IS CHEATING! BURN THE HERETIC!

On a more serious note, my strategy was to just shoot at everything but the cyberdemon. As your own comment hints at, movement management is key in this map seeing as you just have a rocket launcher, so I tend to go for highest return per hit in terms of space; that is, I clear all 4 PEs first, making sure not to hit the cyberdemon so it infights HKs, then I press the switch and gun for pinkies, and when pinkies are dead I press the second switch.

Example demo: STR1. Took me a dozen attempts, which is admittedly a pretty crappy success rate, but on a 1 minute map it's not that bad, and there are much better doomers than me out there.

FDA for Pricks. Want to troll a Phml? Tell him a map is impossible. Gets the sucker everytime. Doesn't complete, but looks possible to me.

I went with complevel 9 because I had a feeling this might not be a "true" limit-removing map, and with the amount of texture errors, HOMs and missing flats I suspect it was either tested in ZDoom or not at all. Best to play in a port with the blockmap fix enabled, probably. Gameplay isn't THAT bad, but hits the "just not enough ammo, just not enough health" mark enough times to make you think it was designed with this fix (and possibly mouselook) in mind.

Really sorry TimeOfDeath, but here is the FINAL version of Pricks, making some gameplay changes, making it ALOT easier to beat now. Some tips :P

Spoiler

-fire a few shots and take some hits before grabbing the first megasphere
-don't kill the imps on both sides, let them act as a hell knight cushion
-punch a hole through the wall of imps so you're not trapped
-clear all the imps before moving on
-let the mancubus infight
-let the huge teleporting monsters infight too

Probably very obvious, but you never know :P

Monster count: 1400 exact.

DL (282.7kb): http://www.mediafire.com/?0jvlvk4l5k26b6j

Phml said:

FDA for Pricks. Want to troll a Phml? Tell him a map is impossible. Gets the sucker everytime. Doesn't complete, but looks possible to me.

I went with complevel 9 because I had a feeling this might not be a "true" limit-removing map, and with the amount of texture errors, HOMs and missing flats I suspect it was either tested in ZDoom or not at all. Best to play in a port with the blockmap fix enabled, probably. Gameplay isn't THAT bad, but hits the "just not enough ammo, just not enough health" mark enough times to make you think it was designed with this fix (and possibly mouselook) in mind.

It was played and tested with Skulltag, my usual port, with textures from D2 only... Try the updated version, a wee bit more health and a good amount of new ammo. It's completeable without mouselook fyi :P

Thanks for the FDA though.

As I'm fucking awesome I'll be sure to get something done for this. I am a mapper and I am on Doomworld afterall. I've got a commitment to Back to Saturn X to deal with first though.

TimeOfDeath said:

GreyGhost - so the only thing that has to be added besides map data is a scripts lump? That's sounds good to me.

That's the general idea. It's for my "Plan B" map, which should be a fun little map if I can get it to work, otherwise it's back to "Plan A".

One thing that hasn't been discussed yet, how are we organising music/mapslots? I'd prefer D_SHAWN for mine, so that would be map 07, 19 or 29. I assume we're not doing custom music lumps?

Skulltag is a ZDoom derivative that includes new textures and flats. Unless I'm mistaken (quick look in compat options from latest official release, 98D, on skulltag.com), they still haven't catched up to ZDoom enough to make the blockmap fix optional.

This basically means every Boom, limit-removing or vanilla map you play in Skulltag will range from being a little easier to much easier than with the intended compatibility, and consequently, any Boom or below map you make but test only in Skulltag will range from being a little harder to much harder playing with the intended compatibility. Some of the textures and flats you used have to be from Skulltag rather than Doom 2.

It's best to make sanity checks in ports with proper compatibility if you make a map for a specific map format. Failing that, mentioning right away the port used for testing can be helpful, especially if you make hard maps.

DooMAD - I'm not sure yet how to organize mapslots (I was thinking maybe alphabetically). I think new music is ok (updated first post).

Fitzkrieg - I think the deadline should be end of 2012 at the absolute latest (updated first post).

I'm whipping up a boom compatible map and should post it in the next week or so.

today i started to fix the monster lacks on my map, also added few more trap rooms and red skull bars before the library with the cyberdemon...

stay tuned for more

As the deadline is so far away, I shall continue to improve my map, as this is a learning experience for we :)

I suppose that there will be some sort of voting once deadline is reached? Like, everyone who contributed gets to pick 32 maps of his/her choice and the most wanted ends up in final wad? There won't be any showstopper once magical amount of 32 maps are reached, or...?

Phml said:

Want to troll a Phml? Tell him a map is impossible. Gets the sucker everytime.

Aah, that's the trick to get demos made is it? I'll remember that... cheers Phml! Watched the demo and attempted your technique, but I still can't get past the very start, still frustrating... I know if I can get past that little bit I'd be ok. Back to the drawing board I guess....

Ed said:

Two day build, nothing serious. Still gotta tweak a few things.

http://www.mediafire.com/?eimtrv3tc41wpwc

Great level Ed, even for just two days! First time I've seen Wolf textures used this well, and gameplay's just about perfect to my eye.

I whipped up a map consisting of an old unfinished map from 2003 and a new section added. Its pretty scrappy. What is unique is that the Cacodemons you fight in the map only have as much health as a Shotgun Guy or Imp.

I named it Memang which is the name of somebody's cat I know.

Uses the TNT Evilution song from MAP02 Human BBQ.

Boom compatible.

http://www.paulcorfiatis.com/memang.zip

Cool to see more interest and maps!

j4rio - I don't want to reject any maps, so if there is more than 30-32 maps we can add them to another wad.

glenzinho said:

Aah, that's the trick to get demos made is it? I'll remember that... cheers Phml! Watched the demo and attempted your technique, but I still can't get past the very start, still frustrating... I know if I can get past that little bit I'd be ok. Back to the drawing board I guess....

Here's a slower demo with a safer technique: str1-205.lmp (I also played only with keyboard on my work computer, just for fun)

so, today i worked again on my map, and also i played to Ed's map, it's pretty damn cool map, man! Looks a little bit Xaser-ish, due to the abstract structure, and that's like me a lot...

Cheers TimeOfDeath, but I've figured str1.wad out, it's still Pricks I'm having dramas with... what an apt name for a wad that Pricks is...

As long as they don't interfere with the game's progression to other maps, I think it's all right. It's already been said that this is the map you will be judged on, so I don't think we'll have too many of those.
Grammar Nazi edit: accept, not except :P