Urban Space Cowboy
Okay, since I was déclassé to bring it up in the first place, here's what I've found from rummaging around. WARNING: I wasn't involved in Plutonia 2's development, plus I'm really opinionated, so the following is a combination of guesswork and smart-ass remarks:
Dude, who shit in your cornflakes?
plutonia2 contains many individual maps and a couple of betas. Some highlights:
- text file from September 2000 describing which monsters, weapons, powerups, etc. should be on which level
- beta WAD from May 2001. Let's run down the maps included...
- resources WAD and levels WAD from August 2002 (load them together), including...
- Map 1 - by Metabolist. Sucks. Best part is the entry door with a Plutonia transporter hastily plunked down in front of it. :)
- Map 2 - mostly by Ebola with some additions (most notably, a secret area with an animation from the original Plutonia) by Metabolist. Eventually became the central 1/3 of map 12, "Imprisoned".
- Map 3 - by John Bishop with some edits by Metabolist. So-so. The screenshot in the demo map's interpic is from this map.
- Map 4 - by Fredrik. Really early unfinished version of map 13, "Hard Facility". Hey, this means the map 4 slot was given to two different Fredrik maps at different times. :)
- Map 5 - by Metabolist. Unfinished.
- Map 6 - by Joe Pallai and Metabolist. Playable but needs node rebuild.
- Map 8 - by The Gemini. This map eventually ended up in Hell Revealed II.
- Map 11 - by Metabolist. Sucks.
- Map 12 - by Metabolist. Barely started.
- Map 13 - by Metabolist. It's that shitty demo map. :)
- Map 14 - by Lee Szymanski, I think. Barely started.
- Map 15 - by Joe Pallai. Puzzly techbase that has no fragging business in a Plutonia WAD, shame 'cause it's pretty cool.
- Map 32 - by Metabolist. It's the first go at "a fusion between Map01 and E1M1" that Plutonia's dox mention, and oh my god does it suck. :)
- Map 16 - by Metabolist, except for the beginning bit that's copied from Plutonia map 30!! Has some close-wait-open traps that sometimes don't open properly. Sucks.
- Map 20 - also by The Gemini, also ended up in Hell Revealed II.
- Map 21 - first outdoor area by Anders Johnsen!! All the rest by Metabolist, and you can really tell because it instantly reverts to shitty right angles and narrow hallways everywhere.
- Map 24 - by Metabolist. Unfinished, right angles, narrow hallways, sucks. Another hastily-added Plutonia transporter in front of an entry door. See pl2-24.zip for a complete (but still sucky) version.
- Map 27 - by Joe Pallai. Early unfinished version of map 23, "Aztecorum". Player start isn't in the right place.
- Map 28 - don't know designer. This map sucks.
- Map 30 - Metabolist's go at a boss map. Tough fights, hilariously easy boss area, just how I like it. :)
- July 2005 levels and resources. I presume Metabolist released these shortly before leaving the project; you'll need deutex to build a WAD. Once you do that, you end up with the following. See if you can spot the general trend:
- Map 2 - as above with some more work done.
- Map 3 - as above with some more work done.
- Map 4 - "Hard Facility" again, and now playable to the end. Hooray! I like this layout better than Gusta's revamped version, sorry Gusta. :(
- Map 5 - as above and now playable! See if you can spot the area that became the southern 1/3 of map 12, "Imprisoned".
- Map 6 - don't know designer. Replacement for the previous map 6 with a more Plutonian layout.
- Map 7 - don't know designer. Cramped layout, exit doesn't even have a Plutonia transporter!
- Map 8 - as above with some more work done.
- Map 9 - by Metabolist and Laurence Hanley. You start out in an early version of map 6, "Collider Complex", before Peroxyd massively reworked it (all to the better IMHO), then you teleport away to Hanley's completely separate area which has nothing in common with it! Why, Metabolist, why? :(
- Map 10 - by Metabolist. This has edits by Virgil the Doom Poet which mostly consist of pointless detailing that you're likely to get snagged and caught on -- a technique that is, like, anti-Plutonia. Compare to the pre-Virgil version in pl2-10.zip to see what I mean. Ugh.
- Map 11 - by Metabolist. Early version of map 19, "Hecknology". Sucks.
- Map 12 - by Metabolist. The previous barely started map has now received considerable additions, including another copied section, this time from the entry of Plutonia map 3. Otherwise kind of eh, and still unfinished.
- Map 13 - by Metabolist with more shitty NEEDS MOAR DETAIL!!1! editing by Virgil, and a couple of actual additions. Whatever. Still cramped and sucky.
- Map 14 - by Lee Szymanski with some additions by Metabolist. Hey, now, this is more like it! It's a techbase/office complex, it's puzzly, it's cool. It's also not at all Plutonian but you won't care.
- Map 15 - as above with some more work done.
- Map 31 - don't know designer. Hey look, a secret map! With a super-secret exit which AFAIK is impossible to get to.
- Map 32 - don't know designer. All-new super-secret map! Its layout is kind of similar to how "Collider Complex" ended up, funnily enough.
- Map 16 - don't know designer. Replacement map 16 that's small and simple but still sucks.
- Map 17 - by Metabolist. Decent albeit cramped, has another secret area with another animation from the original Plutonia.
- Map 18 - don't know designer. So-so. Way too easy to skip having to get the blue key. :)
- Map 19 - by PAGB666. Has a nice outdoor bridge across a blood lake, but otherwise barely started.
- Map 20 - don't know designer. Barely started.
- Map 21 - by Virgil, I think. Decent but not especially Plutonian.
- Map 22 - by Erik Alm. Is this the only map that stayed in the same slot all the way through development? Here's another map that IMHO wasn't really improved by Gusta's improvements.
- Map 23 - by PCorf, who eventually released it as part of his Selfish series. Decent.
- Map 24 - don't know designer. Barely started.
- Map 25 - by T.V. and maybe others. Hey now this is interesting -- it includes an early version of the rising spaceship from map 10, "Cosmodrome", AND an early version of the first 1/4 or so of map 26, "Plutopia"! It also includes some other things, but it's tragically unfinished.
- Map 26 - by Metabolist. Early version of map 27, "Red Hot", before T.V. considerably reworked it.
- Map 27 - by Joe Pallai. "Aztecorum" is now playable, but still very different from what it ended up being.
- Map 28 - don't know designer. This map still sucks.
- Map 29 - by T.V. and maybe others. More early bits from "Plutopia"! Be sure to IDDT and IDCLIP to check out all the disconnected bits.
- Map 30 - by Virgil the Doom Poet. All-new boss map with a raising and lowering Romero head reminiscent of STRAIN.
Of course levels.zip also includes a zillion maps in various stages of completion and/or Virgil-ization (ugh). Let us know if you find any goodies worth savoring or mocking, y'all.
- Map 1 - don't know designer. Sucks less than Metabolist's map 1, but still understandably tossed.
- Map 2 - Oh no Virgil's worked his "magic" on this map. Thank goodness T.V. threw that crap out when he reworked it into the final map 12, "Imprisoned".
- Map 3 - by John Bishop, Metabolist, and (argh) Virgil. What are you doing to those poor vectors Virgil, stop that. >:(
- Map 4 - by Fredrik and (sigh) Virgil. NEEDS MORE DETAIL strikes again!!
- Map 5 - as above with some more work done.
- Map 6 - by unknown designer and (not again!) Virgil. BONUS: Some of the excess detailing on the floor allows you to speedrun straight to the exit and skip part of the map! :)
- Map 7 - as above with some more work done. Still sucks. :)
- Map 8 - by The Gemini and (oh for God's sake) "T3H VIRGIL". More pointless detailing, yay!
- Map 9 - by Metabolist, Laurence Hanley, and (you know it) Virgil. Hey Virgil, thanks for making that one stairway frustratingly narrow and easy to fall off of, AND for not doing a thing to unite Metabolist's and Hanley's sections! No wonder Peroxyd ditched Hanley's section, then broke Metabolist's section to pieces and put it together again.
- Map 10 - by Metabolist and (him again) Virgil. Not much MOAR DETAIL than in the August 2002 beta, but still just as pointless.
- Map 11 - as above with some more work done, but still pretty sorry compared to what Method and Peroxyd reworked it into.
- Map 12 - as above, and now playable, but sucky. Tries so hard to be Plutonia-esque, fails so hard at it. :)
- Map 13 - mmmmyup it's the shitty demo level again, with Virgil's MORE DETAIL!! again.
- Map 14 - by Lee Szymanski and...and...and what the hell, Virgil? Not only did you add a lot of shitty pointless detail, you cut down Szymanski's map drastically, removing the stuff that was actually good! Really now, what the hell?
- Map 15 - Joe Pallai's techbase is a beacon of mostly-untouched sanity amidst all the obnoxious Virgil-izing. Thank God.
- Map 31 - Good news: the super-secret exit is now accessible. Bad news: the map still sucks.
- Map 32 - as above with some more work done.
- Map 16 - don't know designer. ANOTHER all-new map 16! So-so.
- Map 17 - by Metabolist and (are you tired of this yet?) Virgil. Hey, at least the MOAR DETAIL isn't too severe here.
- Map 18 - as above with some more work done. Still way too easy to skip the blue key.
- Map 19 - by Kaiser. Could it be? An actually good-looking, well-designed, Plutonia-esque map?! Of course Kaiser released it on his own because Plutonia 2 was taking too damn long.
- Map 20 - by Erik Alm. Barely any changes from the final map 24, "Outpost of the Evil Dead", except for lacking Plutonia transporters at the entry and exit.
- Map 21 - by Kaiser. Another map that Kaiser released on his own because Plutonia 2 was dragging, but this one's not near as good or as Plutonia-ish. It kind of reminds me of Strife, actually. Still worth trying out to see some layout differences (in terms of what opens up when).
- Map 22 - as above with some more work done, not yet Gusta's revamp.
- Map 23 - as above with some more work done.
- Map 24 - don't know designer. Spooky dark map set in a church, a graveyard, and catacombs. Cool! Check it out! But don't expect it to be the slightest bit Plutonian, 'cause it ain't.
- Map 25 - by T.V. and unknown additional designer. As above, minus the less distinctive sections, and plus a bunch of fraggin' annoying switch hunts. Yuck.
- Map 26 - by Metabolist (and oh god no no no) Virgil. Pointless detail AND broken teleporter linedefs, making the map unfinishable! Crud.
- Map 27 - by Joe Pallai and (feel the burn! FEEL IT!) Virgil. Oh god no not more stupid pointless detailing, have mercy on us!
- Map 28 - don't know designer. This map STILL sucks.
- Map 29 - by T.V. and a cast of thousands! Wow, looks like the original intent was for an grand finale map with everybody and his uncle contributing sections. Of course eventually most of the cast of thousands drifted away and T.V. hacked (most of) his contributions into map 26, "Plutopia". Oh, what could have been.
- Map 30 - by Virgil the Doom Poet. Much the same as before. It's the switch-hunt to end all switch-hunts! Sic transit gloria mundi.
Last edited by Urban Space Cowboy on Feb 3 2013 at 06:17