Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ExIm

My first map released

I’ve just finished my map so I want to get some feedback.

This map is the first map I released to public. It is based on ZDoom UDMF map using Doom II as IWAD. I designed it to be the first level of the wad so it is small and quite easy map (except the last part of the map). Most of the enemies are just zombie men, shotgun guys and imps. And right now, it was designed for single player only.

Here is the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?na788pgdc6gwygc

Here are some screenshots

I also uploaded my playthrough demo here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMw2SHFDySg

*edit demo link
*fixed blue key location, lower turret system's difficulty in HNTR (easy) and HMP (normal).

This was very fun to play through. I had a small problem with ammo at first, but it was fine later on. Definitely going to play this one again.

Spoiler

In the room with the turrets when everything was malfunctioning I was laughing my ass off while running around in circles and panicking. Good job.

Are you not suppose to survive the facility malfunction?

It would be fun if you could

Spoiler

pick up fireballs from dead imps! I was tickled by the one marine that was harboring a lost soul ;)

@Krispy Thanks! So I should add a few more ammo in the map...
@Hellbent Yes, you have to survive it to clear the level. It's quite hard but you could survive it if you move in the proper way.

Wow, you have really good ideas! I liked it. I didn't have problems with ammunition, but in the area with turrets, I had to save game every ten seconds. Also, nice toilets :)

Just a few advices for you for future mapping:

• Don't place the same texture everywhere.
  • Mix sergeants with zombiemen. (no big rooms with sergeants only)
  • In your map, it is possible to grab the blue key immediately after the start (with straferunning to the wall, precise crouching without fully entering the window). Place the key farther from the window.
But these things are not very important. As I said, I really enjoyed your map.

Btw, what program did you use to record that video? (just curious)

@scifista42 Thanks for advices! I will try make better map design next time.

About the recording, I used FRAPS to record the video and TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress to encode into avi file (xvid format).

Yes, I did it! (before I read your reply).

It would be fun if you could

Spoiler

pick up fireballs from dead imps and then hurl them back monsters--of course imps would have to be immune to your fireballs. I was tickled by the one marine that was harboring a lost soul ;)

A suggestion: instead of saying "This door is damaged and cannot be opened" you could write the messages more as if the player is surmising the situation rather than some sort of omniscient force is telling you what's up. So instead you could write: "This door seems to be damaged and unable to open."

This map was pretty cool! I liked how you could grab things from dead marines. I also like the room where you enter codes. The room with all the turrets was cool too, but the last few seconds was hard to get through. I thought this was was worth playing and you did a good job.