Hello, everybody. For those of you haven't been following this thread over the last few days, I'd like to welcome you to the official Mapper's Secret Santa Game thread! A lot of you are probably wondering "Dhat the hell this all about?" or maybe even "Secret Santa? You guys have really lost all inspiration, haven't you?" But wait!!!!! Allow me to explain this concept in full form:
What is this project (or even Secret Santa)?
The basic idea behind this project is this: you sign up to make a map, and will be PM'd the username of another project participant. At that point, your task will be to make a map in the style of your assigned username.
Let's just say, as an example, I signed up for the project. The name that the project leader PM's me is Khorus. It would be up to me to make a map that imitates Khorus' mapping style as best I can.
After you finish your map, it will be posted in the thread, at which point everybody (save the project leader, of course) will have to find out which mapper you are imitating. It's as simple as that.
"Sounds lame. What does this sort of thing accomplish?"
Glad you asked!
While on-paper, this concept might come off as a bit silly, there is a lot of potential to be found from a mapper's and player's perspective. My post here fleshes out some potential benefits from this project. Basically it boils down to this:
Who can participate in this project?
- Potential for growth as a mapper - Mapping outside of your style may inspire you to approach the creation of a wad from a different perspective. The benefit of this is that it could inspire to enhance your architectural and gameplay perspective in unexpected ways. Perhaps you'll expand your ability to add small-scale details, or maybe you'll finally get a handle on how to build outdoor/indoor areas. That sort of thing can go miles in making a person a stronger mapper, and in the process, you'll get to pick up tips and ideas from the rest of the community in an open format... Like a normal thread, but with new maps and way more fun!!!!
- Learning new formats - Obviously, some have no interest in this. I have to imagine, though, that are many who have thought about mapping for a different port than their norm or attempting to appeal to a different kind of gameplay (e.g. survival-mapper has to make a slaughtermap, etc.). What better opportunity to have a stab at it than this?
- New ideas - Let's face it, no one can produce a perfect imitation. Some of the author's signature will be left in the imitation no matter what. However, for both the imatator and imitatee (words?), this is a great chance that seeing how your own ideas mesh with those of others.
- Notoriety - Hey, if your putting your name out there, more people are going to see what you're all about. No harm in that, right?
Anyone! The more participants, the more interesting this project becomes. The only requirement that should be in place is that you have some prior complete wads to share. That way someone trying to imitate your style won't be taking a shot in the dark.
Resources? Source port?
Here's the real tricky part: you'll have to adapt to the mapper's preference. Obviously, there are mappers who use all kinds of resources and map for different ports. Almost all of them, though, are best-known for their work on particular project. Base your map off of that should that be the case. The most difficult part will be to draw influence from a ZDoom mapper if your used to mapping in Boom format or something of that matter. I say, though, be bold and brave!
How dedicated do I have to be?
This project should be about having fun and experimenting. The only request is that you put a decent effort into your map to pay a little tribute to whichever mapper you're assigned to imitate. It's like DTWID, but with community mappers and not as severe scrutiny.
Can I upload my wad to /idgames
Absolutely. While I'll keep a copy of all of the wads on my hard-drive, these are to be treated as individual releases that can be uploaded to your discretion. Please post them here first for the sake of the contest, please.
When does this bad boy start?
Sign up now! Over the next week, this project is open to anyone to sign up to. When you do ask to be included, it'd probably best to provide an example or two of your wads.
After everyone submits their name, they'll be PM'ed within the next week.
A mapping deadline would probably something along the lines of 2 months, supposing there will even be one.
DEADLINE TO SIGN UP HAS EXPIRED. A pair of testers, however, is still something that we could use.
- Snakes (Project organizer)
- walter confalonieri
- Sgt Dopey
- The Green Herring
- Grain of Salt
- Dutch Devil
Feel free to ask any questions you'd like, and let's just hope that someone will be able to answer them! Hopefully people sign up to save me from looking like an idiot :)
- st. alfonzo
CURRENT MAP BEING DISSECTED/PLAYED/ENJOYED/DISCUSSED/ETC.:
Last edited by Snakes on Aug 27 2013 at 05:41